beginner grow, help needed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mackro2014, Jun 18, 2015.

1. I started this grow from a bag seed that I pre germinated. Unknown strain but I would have rated the smoke a 7.5/10 for quality so I figured I would give it a go. The pre germ seed was planted 4 days ago and has been under 24/0 lighting since. It received one light watering after planting and the light is a 5000k natural daylight cfl. Here are some pics. Please let me know if you think it needs a splash of water or recommend a feeding regiment. Thanks for all the help!! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434579545.077402.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434579584.932270.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434579630.254830.jpg

Before I get jumped about using MG I was unaware of its horrible reputation among growers. I know hydro is the way to go just didn't want to mess it up on my first try. Thanks guys peace

2. You should repot it with better soil even miracle grow organic will work add 1 table spoon of Espinosa garden lime to the soil.get a ph pen from amazon you'll need it. What nutrients are u going to use for feeding?

3. can't stress enough how important pH monitoring is. like 70sdiver said get a pH pen and test your feedings regularly. if you are using pre-treated soil then test the run-off as well. unregulated pH levels can cause a lot of problems, so nipping that in the bud can help you avoid problems later on.

keep it up! i'd still enjoy whatever flowers you yield...

4. #4 mackro2014, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    Thank you guys! Heading to my local hydroponic shop tomorrow because this whole MG thing is stressing me out. Will it hurt the plant to re-soil it tomorrow? How do I go about doing that? I will pick up a pH pen as well while I'm there. Also I'm sure our soil brands will be different as I'm assuming we are in different parts of the world but which soil should I choose? 100% organic with no nutes? Always thankful for the help. Peace and by the way here it is tonight. (edit... Not sure what nutes to use..) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434601589.543951.jpg

And by the way I gave it a little bit of water my soil was drying out. Didn't drown it more so wet the top but the water was dechlorinated tap water. Going to pick up some RO at the shop for the next watering

5. #5 dr_baskin_rays, Jun 18, 2015
    IMHO I'd wait until it's time to step up to a large container and use different soil. Just be careful when handling the root ball and you should be golden.

Also be careful about over watering. Soil should be dry to about a inch down below the top and feel lighter than expected when you lift it. Water based on the size of the plant and NOT on the size of the pot/grow medium.

I'm still a noob too so any alterations are welcome!

6. #6 bockscar, Jun 18, 2015
    Dont "resoil" it. Just grow it out and you can upgrade the soil when you transplant it like the Dr. said. 

MG does suck, i guess....but it can get the job done! Shit...you even have some people that TRASH Fox Farm Ocean Forest! lol So don't freak out too much about it...with that being said, if you can get a better soil.....or make your own organic soil mix....do it!

Fuck paying for water...itll add up! Go buy a 5 gallon jug, and fill it with hose water. Then leave it uncovered so that the chlorine can gas off. Thats just my opinion on that....im sure some people will tell you to go with RO water. Your choice.

Ive learned that less water is better than more! I had my seedlings sucking...then I had some people tell me I was simply overwatering, and lessened my watering a lot.....and problem solved, my plants are bouncing back now. The "rule of thumb" someone mentioned was to pick up the cup, and not water until its feather light! Maybe not feather light......but it'll get extremely light! NOW.....im not saying to not water it, so if you see leaves starting to droop or the plant generally has a dry look to it...youve gone too far! You will learn your plant....but just remember that dry is better than wet. Seedling roots are growing, and they need oxygen for that....when you overwater you are cutting off some of that oxygen supply.

7. also if you wanna really go organic, id suggest the organic growing forum and reading the sticky called "easy organic soil mix for beginners" post 1-3 have soooooooo much information for noobs like us!

If you're going with bottled nutes....i had decent luck with the GO Box from General Hydroponics. Its marketed as "organic" and is probably a lot closer to actual organic matter/nutrients than you would get from some of the other bottled nutes you see at your local hydro shop.

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU GO TO YOUR LOCAL HYDRO STORE! I can't say all, but MOST of the hydro shop employees are more salespeople than they are knowledgeable gardeners. Just cuz you can rattle off what the bottle states verbatim doesn't mean you know what the fuck you're talking about and that you can grow fat buds....and thats what I hear/see at hydro shops a lot.

8. Hey man thanks for the input!!! I couldn't quote all of you guys in this post but can't stress enough how thankful I am for the help! Went to my local hydro shop and stepped up my light from 5000k to 6400k (an actual grow light now) and picked up the new soil for the transplant. (happy frog) letting it dry out a bit then I'll give it a go! Thanks alot guys! And by the way on the water I could stick my finger about an inch and a half Into the cup and barely feel any moisture in the soil. I gave it about 6 tablespoons of water.

9. You're going to need a lot more light.

10. Also I'm running my light 24/0 hope I don't see a huge spike in my bill... My city is 10 cents per kwh

11. here's my light bud.. I have one plant... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434662599.671815.jpg

12. do you not think that's enough? Lol the bulb is like a foot long in it

13. What kind of light is it? How many watts? How big is your grow space?

14. It's a 6400k cfl my space is a 10 gal box for now lined with reflective sheets on all sides and the light is 125w any idea how much that will cost per month on electric bill?
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434664692.884795.jpg

15. 9 bucks or so if I did my math right.

16. If that's tin foil in your box get rid of it.it will create hotspots .

17. It's a survival blanket should I trash it?

18. Take your spam comment somewhere else. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum has the same outlook on ganja as you. No need to try to persuade us.. Thanks.

19. Unless of course that was a mishap on the link. In which case sorry for being a douche ;)