Beginner Aerogarden questions, please help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DankASauresRX, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I'm looking to grow in my new apartment, and had some general questions about the Aeorgarden. I was looking to buy the aerogarden pro but i need to get some general questions answered first. I would try and build a grow closet for my system, So if I needed more lights or a fan i could mount one inside of it. My crop I grow would be just for me so I'm not too worried about mega huge yields.

-Do i need to get special seeds for it? I am not sure if I could get ahold of any special seeds such as lowryder, lowlife, or any other autoflowering seeds...

-Would it be good to buy early finishing seeds such as Early Girl seeds or does it matter? I have some pretty dank bag seeds I just worry that because I don't fully know their backgrounds I don't want the plant overgrowing my aerogarden system.

-A lot of the stuff I read online said that they had to add an airstone or something. Is it really necessary? I only plan on growing 2-3 plants at a single time.

-I Have read that the plants really don't need any nutes til like the 2-3rd week. I have never used liquid nutes however I have read that Foxfarm makes some pretty good nutes.

-As a beginner hydro grower im looking for all the pointers I can get, and see if it is worth to buy an aerogarden or not.

2. -Do i need to get special seeds for it? I am not sure if I could get ahold of any special seeds such as lowryder, lowlife, or any other autoflowering seeds...

Well, any seeds will work, but would take some tweaking - like adding a separate timer for the lights, etc., etc. Your best bets are the autoflowering LR and crosses, as they're light cycle independant and grow stealthy heights.

-Would it be good to buy early finishing seeds such as Early Girl seeds or does it matter? I have some pretty dank bag seeds I just worry that because I don't fully know their backgrounds I don't want the plant overgrowing my aerogarden system.

Autoflowering varieties generally finish in 8-10 weeks TOTAL. I was going to try bagseed in my AG, but, for the same reason you listed, declined. I'm convinced autoflowering varieties are the best bet for an AeroGarden grow out, at least until you get some time in.

-A lot of the stuff I read online said that they had to add an airstone or something. Is it really necessary? I only plan on growing 2-3 plants at a single time.

Adding an additional airstone will benefit by providing more aeration to the nutrient solution and prevent stagnation. As far as multiples, all the grows I've read have not been more than two plants total. the reservoir is quite limited in size.

-I Have read that the plants really don't need any nutes til like the 2-3rd week. I have never used liquid nutes however I have read that Foxfarm makes some pretty good nutes.

Exactly. The seed's endosperm provides all the growing plant needs until it's got it's second set of true leaves (or in that time frame). I'd not use nutes until the second or third set of leaves are seen, and then I'd only start with about 1/4th to 1/2 the recommended dosage for growth. Your individual plants needs' may vary. I'm using General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow and FloraNova Bloom, as they're proven and relatively inexpensive.

-As a beginner hydro grower im looking for all the pointers I can get, and see if it is worth to buy an aerogarden or not.

I'm not a success at this yet - my first attempt was a failure, but I learned tons. For my needs, the AeroGarden is perfect: I don't need pounds of weed, don't feel like dicking around with funky light cycles and separate spaces, and wanted stealth. If you think you might want to grow out larger varieties, perhaps the AG isn't for you, but I consider it a great tool for (pun intended) getting your hands wet in hydroponic growing.

Best of luck to you, and I hope my answers helped a bit.

3. my pump went out pretty quick and my air pump is keep my current grow alive, its a bad ass scrog innovation i did.

4. Pictures?