Beginner, a few specific questions...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cachexic, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Current situation: I'm in the interest of doing a stealth grow here at home. I've been doing plenty of research and the strain for this is clearly the lowryder 2.

Now, I have a very limited space in a closet here. I can't really afford to grow a bunch of plants in here for sexing, but I know there is some way to get pre-female seeds or something along those lines...could anyone shed some light on that?

Also, I've heard that the general rule of thumb is 100w per plant. So I plan on 1-2 plants, does this mean a 200w high powered sodium as well as a cheap fluorescent for the vegetative phase (is this correct?)?

I have a pretty good fan here already, so I could keep the closet well-ventilated. Then of course just a pot, good soil, no over-ferting and no over-nutes, can I pull this off?

One last thing, and probably the biggest problem: odor control. There are certain air filters to virtually eliminate odors, correct? Is this a reliable way to cover up the odor of lowryder in a closet, does anyone have personal experience with the strain?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: If anyone could possibly give a link to a specific light I should buy for this project, that would be very helpful.

2. Femminized seeds are purchase able. - Lots more to this subject which ill let you read up on.

150 W HPS should be good for those two, however will create heat and will need ventilation. (They dont make 200W hps i dont believe)

Yes, its pull off able, just gotta do your best to make sure the pot is big enough, the soil mix is right. (No nutes and perlite) You might need nudes during the flowering stage, but you want to avoid them for the first 3-5 weeks unless the plant shows signs they are needed.

I havnt had to mess with odor control personally, however there is a gel that can remove smell, or also scrubbers that you can make at home, there are a couple of threads explaining how to.

Good luck.

3. Thank you.

Can anyone add to this or possibly link/name me the proper nutes/ferts to buy? You can't give me enough information, I'm a total newbie.

4. Have you thought about using fluros or CFL's for your veg stage instead of starting off with an HPS right off the bat? CFL's wont give you the power an HPS can, but CAN be a little more forgiving for a newbie.

Also, nutes will depend on whats accessible to you, and your soil mix. Do you want all organic?

5. Yes, up above in my first post I mentioned a fluro for my veg stage, so I definitely thought about that. They are quite cheap, so I don't see why not, but I should definitely switch to the HPS when the flowering starts, yeah?

I'll have to confess I don't really know what organic offers or what the alternative is. I guess that's something I missed in my research. ><

6. Well, the reason I ask, and im sure more people chime in on this as this thread gets a lil older, but organic can provide a little more safety, while buying something like "shultz" is more common but can burn more easily.
    You proly already know, whatever you start with you should start a 1/4th strength and make your way up if plant allows.

7. Ah, yes, I was aware of that. I'm sure if I play the conservative game I won't have a problem with frying my plant. So I could use Schultz for pretty much all my soil/nute/fert needs?

8. I searched the forums for odor control. I'm now having second thoughts about not only odor, but how well ventilated I can keep the closet. I figured a regular ole oscillating fan would do, but I guess not.

I really hope someone reads this thread that has personal experience with this particular strain and methods that can guarantee me no odor. I couldn't really find any posts that give an iron-clad way for no odor. Carbon scrubber seems to be the best, can anyone tell me just how effective they are?

9. RE: Odor Control

Check out "OdorSok" - you can find them on eBay. They do a great job of odor control and are small and light - not like your typical carbon filter. I was dubious at first but the local store owner here asked me to try some out and report back. I love them. I will never fuck with refilling a "pellet" carbon filter again.

After a while they absorb a little too much humidity and are less effective. All you have to do is throw them in your clothes dryer and "recharge" them. SWEET!

10. Thank you for replying, I'll keep that product in mind. Do you find that they completely remove the odor? How much were you growing?

Something I just found out about the Lowryder strain: there is no vegetative phase, guess that's what auto-flowering means. :eek:

Does this mean I should do away with buying a fluorescent light and simply use the HPS right out of the gate, after the first two sets of leaves?