Before there were alarm clocks...

Discussion in 'General' started by The Crunge, Aug 19, 2012.

1. How did people wake up for something?

Like say Ben Franklin had to wake up at 6:00am to get to the capitol by 8:00am. How would he make sure he got up at 6:00am? Did people back then just not plan events that early?

2. i dont use an alarm clock. but i dont hardly have to be up before 11.
    i naturally wake up at like 10/11 everyday though.

3. Whoa good question

Subbed

4. Everyone woke up at the same time. The crow of the cock.

5. wait did people have blinds & curtains?
    because if not, then i could see getting up easily at like 8 am everyday.

6. roosters and natural sunlight, and i think it was less common to pull all nighters back them

just my guess

7. People actually use alarm clocks? If I need to wake up for something my brain wakes me up. If you aren't the same to to the doctor and see if you have severe chemical imbalances in your brain.

8. People went to bed when the sun went down, and awoke when it came up

There was no concept of "I have to be up before the sun so I can get to X place." It was always "I'll leave at sunrise."

9. My body naturally wakes up at 7 am, its all about training your body?, not to hard

10. The rooster in your room would wake you up when he saw the sun.

11. They used our inner alarm clock, it's just as reliable if you practice.

12. These noisy little bastards
    [​IMG]

13. I get up around 6am every day no need for alarm clocks. They had to work hard back then and couldn't afford to waste daylight.

14. Yeah that works fine until you fall asleep in a hot tub and the power goes out and the water gets all cold

Then your buddy Jean-Paul wakes up late for the marathon and you accidentally scald him with hot coffee

I'm pretty sure it happened all the time

• Like Like x 2
  15. [quote name='"The3amJunkie"']I get up around 6am every day no need for alarm clocks. They had to work hard back then and couldn't afford to waste daylight.[/quote]

This^. Even these days we don't need alarms or
    Alarm clocks. I go to bed 4-5 am and usual awake by 7-8. It's all about the inner clock man.

16. It's a well known fact that up until the invention of the alarm clock it was the sole duty of Rob Halford to wake up the world with his far-reaching, high pitched vocal cry.

Back then everybody rocked out to Judas Priest to start off their day.

[​IMG]

17. [quote name='"Gooseman"']It's a well known fact that up until the invention of the alarm clock it was the sole duty of Rob Halford to wake up the world with his far-reaching, high pitched vocal cry.

Back then everybody rocked out to Judas Priest to start off their day.

[/quote]

Ya but that's like, your opinion man.

18. Old school mills and mines used steam whistles to wake everyone up for work be side everyone in that town usualy worked for one company