Before I get started... (also in absolute beginners)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Johnny_Cool, Aug 26, 2010.

1. This is also posted in absolute beginners. I figured I'd post here too to see if I can get an answer:

Hello GC :wave:

I've almost got my brain in order to get all the bits n' pieces together for a successful soil grow. Here's the rundown so far:

-Lights: 100w (actual) 6400k cfl array for vegging and 400w HPS security light for flowering (will adapt housing to be air cooled).

-Ventilation: 200CFM inline duct fan and a 7 kilo (of carbon) home-made carbon scrubber.

I need some advice on a couple of things:

Is 7 kilos (15lbs) of carbon overkill for a 200cfm extractor?

Ph and EC meter: Will this do to get me started?

Since the meter is listed for aquarium use I have no qualms about ordering it online, however I understand that the Ph up and down solutions used in aquariums are not suitable for cannabis farming. I want to source Ph buffers locally (Europe) so can anyone give me some tips on what is acceptable? Actual chemical names would be useful too.

Last thing I want to ask about is what size you guys recommend for my flower and veg boxes:

I'm planning on doing SCROG with a bunch of clones from a mother plant. I plan to flower the clones pretty much as soon as they've rooted to keep the size of the mature plants to a minimum.

-What kind of space am I going to need to feed a 400w flowering chamber with enough clones to do a SCROG every 2 months?

-What size should the flowering chamber be?

-How far apart should I space the plants considering that they will be very small at the start of the flowering cycle?

Sorry for the epic post, there's a lot to chew on there I know, but I would be so grateful for some real world advice on my issues.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read, and I look forward to your replies :eek:

2. If anyone can just answer my question on the Ph and EC tester for now that'd be great! I'm waiting on ordering it until someone with some experience will OK it for me. Pretty please?

LINK

Thanks a lot.

3. Perhaps if I word it a little differently:

I wanna buy theze HERE Ph and EC meterzzz yo! Can y'all tell a brother if they'z any gud for growing weedzzz in de soilz?

4. Went ahead and ordered them. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the advice on my set up too, it really helped a lot.

5. #5 samson32, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    I honestly don't have the same setup as you, but I can probably help you out as to why no one here helped you.. Double posts clog the boards.. If you have the post in two different boards then it is likely one board will not get answered because that is not how it works around here.. If I could help ya I would man, but I honestly am not following the same grow idea you are and am on my first grow with my setup.. Goodluck though and try to keep those double posts down..

Also if you notice the one you had in absolute beginners is gone because of the double post.. So now even though it isn't a double, people still think it is so they are still unlikely to answer because of your title..

6. Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply Samson. I didn't double post until I left the original post in absolure beginners 24 hours to brew. Anyway, no harm done hopefully.

I ordered those shitty meters coz I can't afford any better right now and I imagine they're better than nothing at all.

Would still love it if someone could give their opinion on my proposed set-up, but looks like I'll just have to keep on Googlin'.

Peace :)

7. Hope I helped a little. Good Luck.

8. Thanks a lot for the input Bad Axe :)

I saw a post by a fellow here a GC called Dr. Bud Greens (or something like that) that said it is possible to put the plants (clones) into flowering conditions as soon as they have established themselves. For that reason I shan't be having a lot of wattage in the veg box as I don't intend to really "veg" the plants at all. It is more just to get the clones established, then straight into the flowering box.

Do you grow your plants to full size? I was thinking of using this early forced flowering method to get more Oz's per year. DO you think I'd be better off letting the plants veg all the way and then flowering a couple of monsters?

I really don't know. I'm so confused! Where I live there has been no weed for nearly 3 months! I would smoke dog shit right now :smoking: So I'm desperate to get a grow going.... BUT... If I'm gonna do it, I must do it right. I want max yield from my watts.

I'm thinking... if I am to flower the plants when they're tiny, maybe I can keep them in 1/4 gallon pots, and put 9 plants in every square foot to have a super packed fat scrog. My extracor fan has tons of balls so there'd be plenty of fresh air. Is this possible? I'm thinking it will be the best bang for my buck, but I know fuck all about the subject so would love a bit more input from anyone on this.

Thanks again Axe :D (A fellow guitarist?) :wave:

9. Haha yes. One of the few that actually connects my nick to guitar. I mostly get asked if I am from Michigan, :)

Well, I do not think you will ever get 9 plants per square foot. Pretty sure thats impossible. You asked if I grew my plants to full height. What I did was veg for 5 weeks. Was planning on 4 weeks but went one week longer. And I also used a screen (SCROG) to control how tall they could get. I have limited height to deal with. (You can see my grow I am about to harvest in the link in my sig)

Being as you are a beginner, I would start with something a little simpler. Get some experience under your belt. I researched the hell out of this before beginning my grow. I had everything planned down to the most minute detail. But I still encountered issues and have learned SO much from this first grow. So don't load yourself up so much that when things go wrong you have no idea where to start, and don't plant so many plants, that dealing with them while you are learning gets to be out of hand.

Start small. Keep it KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). By the end of a grow or 2, you will start to know what you are dealing with, and how to modify it to make it just what you want.

10. I hear you man. Believe me when I say that for the past 3 weeks I have dedicated almost all my time to reading up on the subject and planning my grow op.

I'm just thinking I can get away with more plants per square ft coz I'm not gonna veg them for anywhere near 5 weeks. I'm gonna put them on 12/12 as soon as the clones have taken root.

Is there anyone with some experience on the subject who can help? What is the maximum amounts of plants per square anyone has successfully grown? And what is the smallest possible pot anyone has ever used to take a plant thru the flowering process with?

Peace.