Before I get into a build

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by rangelia, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Hi, this is my first post but iv been wearing out the forum (as a nonregistered member).. Iv gained a lot of info that I need to get started, and know what I want to do, but even using the search feature I cant get a clear answer if my unique situation will work.. First off, Im going to do a fridge build. heres the dilemma. Im in the deep south where it gets HOT in the summer. giving the circumstances, Im going to need to put my fridge in my shop where there is no A/C.. It seems like last year I measured the temps in the shop and the highs was around 100*f..  I would think giving that its a well insulated refrigerator the ambient temps (of the shop) would not necessarily effect, or dictate the temps inside the refrigerator.
      From what I gather, CFL's are going to be what I need to use, being this new in the game Im not sure about the investment in LED's.   So for the $100 question........ will it be possible to pull this off??
     thanks
     rangelia

2. No.. Quality LEDs are $600-$800.. CFLs aren't great for flower but possible.. Then you will need an intake fan and exhaust fan with adequate airbflow to combat the low o2 in the fridge.. You will need a soil or hydro set up you will need a thermo and hygrometer.. You will need a pH kit and nutes along with a ppm meter and a spritz bottle for foliar feeding.. Mylar may not be neccessay due ti the white interior of the fridge .. LSO you will need a circulating fan for strengthening stems.. If smell becomes and issue you will need a scrubber .. Plus your short growing fast finishing strain seeds which you will want to be feminized to avoid a useless grow.. Make sure you low stress train the plant to maximize the space while allowing light to bounce around .. Try out micro SOG with lowryder fem strain start on a 12/12 light cycle and if need be add a little co2 into the fridge to boost health .. Good luck hope I helped post pics when its done !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 killset, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Ambient temps are definitely going to effect the temp inside the fridge. You're going to be sucking that 100 air inside for fresh air and adding heat from your lights too it. Its going to be a temperature nightmare. You will need a cooler source of fresh air.

• Like Like x 1
  4. $200 seems more feasible after buying your beans

5. #5 rangelia, Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks for the fast replies!  LOL I didn't mean can I do it for $100.....   I think Killset answered my question though.  Im gonna have to figure something out..... maybe a seasonal thing?  any Ideas?  I thought about using the fridge cooling to keep it cool in it but I guess with  air intake and exhaust that wouldn't work either..
     thanks
     rangelia

6. #6 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 6, 2015
    when it gets hot close your vents and run the fridge..

my answer obviously isnt to thought out but the positive here is that if you keep the freezer u can very effectively cool this setup

7. I agree fully.. Also you may want to have the freon drained.. I'm not sure how safe It would be with it running.. You could theoretically leave the fridge running and cut a hole inside the door to vent air in and out and set the temp to counteract it .. Then just rip out the electrical lines for the light bulb and replace it with a heavy duty high rate extension cord .. Then plug the sockets into that and put a conduit thru the fridge to prevent moisture from touching the electrical wiring. But you would need to speak with an electrician about it and make an excuse as to why you want the lights in there .. But the other stuff is still a necessity

8. #8 killset, Mar 6, 2015
    A fridge isn't going to stay cold unless its sealed up recirculating the same cold air. That's how fridges work. If its sealed up, you're not getting fresh air and it will be too cold.. So its quickly going to become depleted of co2. Your going to burn the condenser up if there's vents in the side sucking it hot ass air. The fridge is going to have to run 24/7, barely doing much of anything but increase your utility bill. Its going to be spewing hot air out the back from the condensor and since sealing up the fridge isn't possible because you do need fresh air, your going to be sucking the hot air from the condenser right back in the fridge......just make it simple and get a cooler source of fresh air

9. #9 rangelia, Mar 6, 2015
    But if you drain the Freon, it would never get cold.    If I was to leave it running, Im afraid that the compressor would never shut off, witch their not designed to do. I think it would fry it in a matter of days running nonstop.  
      Maybe I could run the light cycle during the night when its not so hot????    Just for conversation, how does this stuff grow in high temp tropical/desert climates where temps probably reach 100* in the day?    oops,, you beat me to it killset..
     Thanks
    rangelia

10. #10 killset, Mar 6, 2015
    Your going to have to get cooler intake air or your asking for trouble. There's no way around it. Using the fridge for temp control us going to be a waste....dont see anyone else doing it do you. Theres a reason for that
    Main reason being it wont work. When my lights are on the room my tents in is around 70 and that keeps my tent around 77. Each grow is slightly different, but starting with temps over a 100 then your going to be growing in temps over 100. Yield will be effected. Buds will be light and airy. From what I've been told high temps will also effect potency. My rooms temp is very controllable or I wouldn't even start. If you can't get it under 85 at the absolute highest with your lights on there's no since in even starting. Since your already going to be 15+ over that without any lights, you better get that in check before growing.

11. Sorry i should have clarified that I meant draining the freon as a separate option.. And if you set it to a temp the compressor shuts off when it reaches that temp .. So set it the around 70 which should be the hottest temp setting .. Then adjust as necessary. I doubt your going to be able to use this method without cooling the external temp ... If you have a window consider cooling the garage and as for tropical plants they are around 96 in the shade and have TONS of co2.. I would have suggested co2 but your area is so small that you won't be able to do it without venting it defeating the purpose ... Maybe consider reusable ice packs .. Maybe 2 of them during light 2 during night .. With a small co2 exhale .. If you can get the temp to 95 or less you can run it at 1400ppm co2 and then just shroud the pots with reflective mylar to prevent mold .. Which may bee the cheapest route.. I'd buy 6 ice packs to be safe and I think they make portable ac's for tents .. Check those out .. They blow small amounts of cold air

12. What if I built a box INSIDE the fridge?????  Id just need to vent the box through the fridge and seal up the holes real good....

13. and where would the fresh air come from?

14.  Yea, I do a little home brewing but the difference there is that the freezers don't need fresh air coming in.

15. they're not cutting vents in the side for fresh air. Its still recirculating the cold air.

16. I could run insulated duct out the box and through the wall of the fridge?

17. If your fridge is running it has a blower in the freezer ... Remove the freezer blower and reverse the direction then pull the o2 thru the bottom of the fridge where the intake for the fridge is .. You will need to be careful .. If you go that route .. Co2 supplementing requires sealed set up and tbh building inside the fridge is useless .. Same thing as the fridge but smaller

18. It would cut my sq ft down a little, but I plan on scroggin

19. You would need computer fans and to make sure the freezer doesn't work .. And it was a reference for what I'm speaking about every fridge is different .. So I can't say where to cut .. But I know you can cut a hole in the door because I use my fridge as a beermeister with a tap in the door ..but either way co2 requires sealed set up with minimal o2 intake as long as you don't exceed 1500ppm which is poisonous to cannabis ... You WILL need strong lights tho .. Either you use the fridge to cool the interior of the box or the fridge needs to draw in cold air via external means.. No way around i t.. Temps over 95 are lethal to even the most resiliant of tropical and desert strains