Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Beer brewed with Cannabis instead of hops

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Jollybud, May 10, 2016.

1. So I brew beer and I have read that hops and marijuana are very closely related. Since marijuana had a bery pungent smell like hops I was wondering if I vould switch out hops with bud. What do you all think? I am also growing right now so if all goes according to plans I will have more weed than I know what to do with.

2. Not sure it would replace hops or I guess in my opinion I would still use hops and add bud like a second dry hopping. Definitely worth a try if you have the spare brewing stuff and a good amount of bud.

3. I don't think the smell means they are identical.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

4. High-PA: A Colorado Brewmaster’s Recipe for a Delicious Cannabis Beer High IPA.. LOL
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  5. Well it means they both belong to the same family Cannabaceae.

6. Boiling hops isomerizes the alpha acids into a water soluble compound and this is where the bitter nature of hops comes into play, cannabis doesnt have lupulins filled with alpha acids, it has trichones filled with cannabinoids...

the chemistry behind how they work is wildly different, even though they are relatively closely related

you could do it but largely you will be adding chlorophyll to the beer... and if you add it during the boil you will surely boil off all the volatile flavor compounds in the cannabis.... and the cannabinoids wont just dissolve in the wort...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Some beers a made with hop oil so I assume in the same fashion you could infuse cannabis oil into your brew.

8. you could but id argue you want to still use hops, to make the beer taste like beer vs using them instead

and there is still the fact the alpha acids in hops become soluble in water when boiled, where cannabinoids do not. You could add the oil to a fermented batch and the alcohol would dissolve it though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yea definitely would still need hops, I'm not a brewer I'm just speculating for speculations sake.

Also I'm not speaking to if the beer will get you high or not that seems like a much harder pursuit. But the flavors could still be awesome.

10. I work at a brewery and thought about talking to my boss about it. Didn't do though he shouldn't know i dmoke. but it should work I m gonna give it a try as soon as I can afford it.

Maybe you can use male plants instead cause there wouldn't be much thc left.

11. I work at a brewery and thought about talking to my boss about it. Didn't do though he shouldn't know i dmoke. but it should work I m gonna give it a try as soon as I can afford it.

Maybe you can use male plants instead cause there wouldn't be much thc left anyways and a female plant should better be smoked