Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Been Smoking Heavy For 3-4 Years, Not Building A Tolerance.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by GrassBandit, May 22, 2013.

1. Hey everyone,

I apologize for making this long...this is something I have been struggling with for quite some time and I am hoping to give you guys enough information so that I can get some good advice.

A little back story here...when I was younger I was diagnosed with bad anxiety. I used to have a lot of panic attacks and I would often sit there and just think about death and dying and lots of other disturbing things and I eventually overcame it and went on to lead a somewhat normal life.

I started smoking when I was much younger after moving to a new town, this is way back when anti-pot propaganda was booming and not much was known about the mental consequences of smoking, especially on a developing brain. I was basically peer pressured into it but I have an addictive personality so at the time I didn't have the strength to overcome the urge to smoke. I had my first full on panic attack in years shortly after starting and it was an extremely uncomfortable experience, after that they seemed to happen very often after I smoked. Eventually when I was walking down the street to my friends house to smoke I would get this sudden rush of extreme panic and I would feel very weird while I was walking for the next few steps and I would often "black out" for what felt like a second after getting bad tunnel vision. My friend attributed this to "flash backs" and I figured it was common for people to experience those types of feelings. Eventually I stopped because it just wasn't fun for me.

Flash forward to college...my roommate got me started on smoking again and after turning 21 I found that if I just had a couple of beers first to calm my nerves I actually enjoyed it. It took me a while to be comfortable enough to try smoking without drinking first. Eventually I overcame the anxiety after not having a panic attack for a long time and decided that it was a much better feeling than what alcohol gave me...minus the hangover. Also, at this time I managed to get a 4.0 during my toughest semester and I was confident that weed was not negatively affecting my life in any way. I soon got a Sovereignty King Stemline and ripped many a bowl from my favorite piece while living in an apartment with some friends...everyone smoked constantly.

Flash forward to today...I have since graduated and landed an awesome job and I like to think that weed enables me to think outside of the box which in turn helps me come up with solutions. The problem is that as I sit here and smoke day after day I can't help but notice that my tolerance is not increasing and I am starting to question my mental stability. The reason I think this is because I literally pack a tiny bowl and take one hit from my Helix chillum and I get ripped out of my damn mind when I am by myself. I have been smoking 1-3 times a day for the past 2 years, each time taking 1-2 hits which seems to keep me buzzed for around 2-3 hours...sometimes longer. A half ounce seems to last me at least 4 months while often smoking others up...its ridiculous.

This makes no damn sense to me.

I can tell you this with certainty...THC fucks me up way more with the head high when compared to CBD with the body high. I would much rather smoke an indica which helps me chill out but there are no dispensaries here yet so I have to take a risk with the unknown stuff. The problem is that I find the CBD high boring but the THC high is so intense and it makes me feel so "alive" that I often prefer to smoke THC heavy bud regardless of how uncomfortable it can sometimes make me feel.

I find that when I smoke herb that is mainly THC I will often spew out complete gibberish when I am talking...leading to the person looking at me like I literally have six fucking heads. This has slowly developed into a complex that makes me anxious every time I have to go out in public after smoking a strain that is predominantly THC.

I have tried to go on a couple tolerance breaks but ultimately I keep coming back to the fact that weed is not THAT bad for you and I convince myself that even though I sometimes feel uncomfortable, overall it decreases my anxiety in life and so I cave and start smoking again. I haven't had a bad panic attack in quite some time, *knock on wood*, and I can often talk myself out of feeling anxious when I am stoned but I can't help but think that it is negatively affecting my life and I am just incapable of coming to that conclusion myself.

The problem is that I love marijuana and I know how much of a miracle drug this can be and I know what extreme good it can do for others with anxiety, seizures, and other serious illnesses. I am a huge proponent of legalization and I want it to work for me...but I am reluctant to admit that it doesn't.

So that is where I turn to my fellow blades in hopes that we can reach a conclusion and finally decide if weed is right for me. I'll tell you what...if I have to give it up I will be dissapointed but if it improves my quality of life then it is definitely for the best and I would be a fool to continue smoking.

Again, sorry for the long post but this is something I needed to get off my chest.

Thanks for any replies, I greatly appreciate it.

2. The reason you aren't builing a tolerance is because you are smoking in such low quantitates, relatively speaking. By smoking weed any amount you are in turn building a tolerance but it likely isn't very noticeable at your stage. Smoking an ounce over 4 months is gonna leave you with a weak tolerance. Now if you are upping your amount to a few eighths a week or more then that is when you will start to notice.

3. if it decreases your anxiety then you should keep smoking. but if it increases it you should stop

4. What you're doing is good in regards to only smoking as much as you need to get high. Keep blazing dude

5. Try to quit, see how you feel and how your body reacts.

I quit about 20 days ago after smoking about .5 a day on weekdays and a bit more on weekends for about 3.5 years, and i got to say as much as it blows, i kind of feel the same....

IDK, but i might just quit forever now that i have been cool with it so long. But who knows what the future brings. 

6. #6 OneOfTheGoodOnes, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    I don't see not building up a tolerance as something to worry about.

As for the rest of the stuff, if it helps you, makes your life better and doesn't interfere with your work or family life, then keep on keeping on.