Been seeing it all my life and still don't know what the fuck it is...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Jan 24, 2012.

1. So when I close my eyes I don't see just blackness or the light shining through my eyelids. I see an array of colors and patterns. They don't really move up or down or left or right, but they shift form.

It's not just from my eyelids. I can look at a black empty space and see it. I can see it on any dark object actually, unless there is a lot of light shining on it. It doesn't get in the way of my vision, but it's more of just an overlay.

What the fuck is this? I've heard ideas that it's some sort of thermal noise, that it has something to do with the retina in the eye. Do people even know with absolute certainty what it is?

2. happens to everybody man.. called phosphene I believe

3. I played a Bejeweled game once for a couple hours. The rest of the day, I'd see it for a split second every time I'd close my eyes. When you close you're eyes, you're basically discontinuing image input into your brain. From things I've read before, your brain likes to make it's own images and sounds when it's not getting anything.

4. Phosphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it's patterns that appear because the nerves that are sensitive to light are also sensitive to pressure, so pressing on your eyeballs stimulates them. But, since there's no light to actually process and turn into images, your brain essentially just makes shit up.

5. Haha mine are just tiny blue dots

6. Yeah, but I don't ever push on my eyes. It happens when they're open too. I'm sure it's phosphene in some instances but not in all of them.

7. my shit varies, from splashes to clouds to dots..
    oh and if I "tighten" up for a minute ill see dots everywhere, with my eyes open. haha

8. this reminds me of a sounds that i have heard all throughout my life, ever since i was a kid. This sounds i only ever hear in my room and i always used to think it was my dad fastening his belt...it sounds like metal on metal. I still hear it today and have never figured out what it is???? it happens at random times too, it kinda freaks me out now