Been researching for awhile now-Do I need a...?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BuzzLightOne, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Hi everybody, I'm new here, the names Buzz.
    I have been searching extensively for the answers to get me started on growing my own meds.
    I have found a ton of useful info here in the forum. Yet, I still come up short as to whether or not my decisions are going to be inadequate or overkill. :confused:
    Any feedback, suggestions, would be highly appreciated. Thx :D

I have a 4x4 area in a walk-in closet, 7-8' ceiling, I will use as my space. I thought I'd section it off into two 2'x2' sections next to each other, but partially partitioned off from one another. I hope to veg and bloom simutaneously, to keep the buds flowing. 3 plants in veg, 3 plants in bloom, in keeping with the Colorado laws for MMJ.

Veg side will use 4-26w CFL's in splitters, in two 10.5" reflectors, for a total of 8 cfl's or 14,000L.Top mounted with mylar on 3 sides. (Or do I need to make a box and enclose the front of the area)?

The 2'x2' bloom area will use a 250w hps. I was thinking of using a cool tube, and exhausting it out through a 6" hole I'll cut up high in the exterior wall to the outside. Fans for circulation and fresh air.

Do I need a Cool Tube, or at 250w hps will heat even be a big issue? Or could I get away with a cheaper version or set-up.

Am I asking too much to veg and bloom in the same small room:confused_2:?

If I am I guess I'll toke up and think about it for another day...:smoke:

2. Well I am confused Buzz, If you have a 4x4 room, are you dividing it into 2-4x2 rooms, or not using the extra 2feet on each side?
    I am going to assume that you are going to make two 2x4 rooms.
    Now for a rectangular space such as a 2x4ft space, Youd be best off with two 250hps, one will not cut it unless you are only flowering one plant, even then two of them is still better.

Now for the veg side, you mention 4 cfls and 8 cfls, I am going to assume you mean 8 bulbs and 4 Y splitters. I have a 3ftx3ft mom/clone area, and I use twice that, so you may want to step it up a bit, and go with at least 14 26watt 6500k daylight cfl bulbs on 7 splitters. Again, not really needed for one mom plant, but I assume you will have more than 1.

No, you are not crazy, if you have the space for it (which you do) it is actually optimal to veg and bloom in that area. i would probably divide it slightly different though. I would have one mom in a 18"x48" area, and use the remaining 30"x48" area for flowering, since you can only have 3 budding at any given time, you may want some larger plants.
    I would save mom, take 2 clones and house them with mom every every 4 weeks, after the first clones have rooted (lets give that 14 days) and another 2 weeks for veg growth(so a month total) keep the strongest one and put it into flower, and toss the other, then take 2 more clones from mom and repeat the cycle. It can be adjusted, but with a 12week strain you will harvest one plant per month on a perpetual cycle. With a 9 week strain, you can adjust this formula to every 3 weeks harvest/cut clones/put a strong vegged plant into flower. Keep the bud flowing. You may want to upgrade from 250watt units to 2- 400watt units in a double cooltube, it takes 2 bulbs and is extra long, or hook 2 cooltubes together end to end. Each one would only have to light a 24x30in area, about perfect for a 400watt hps.

3. Hey Don, thanks for taking the time. I agree with you that the bloom side should be the larger area. I am going to enclose the room to a 4'x4', so I can lock it up, and will still need some room to move around in there. So I'll leave a foot and go on a diet. :eek:

Because of possible heat issues, could I just use one 400w on the bloom side and still get a good yield? I really want a cool tube, (kids), but finances aren't the greatest right now. Buying two is out of my range. I should have stated I wanted the best set-up on a budget. Can you recommend a similarly effective light system without the name?

Your formula for the mother is greatly appreciated!

4. #4 Don Piano, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    Well Piecing together a cool tube system will be cheaper than buying one. I use a pyrex bake-a-round (ebay, $20 shipped or so, so figure 40 for 2) and you can get 2 400watt hps ballast kits for around 150 shipped. So you are looking at about $200 + small parts here and there. Not too bad if you ask me. Very budget minded, and I am a total DIY guy. Do not let the wiring bother you, there are plenty of people on here (Myself being one) that can walk you through it. An old PC case with a couple pc fans will house 2 of those ballast kits perfectly, and keep them cool at the same time.

If that is still too much for you, we will have to think of some different options, because that size bloom area will require more than a single light source for optimal buds. If you do not mind shorter plants, you can use a pair of 250's and get the ballast kits like described above, and that will make it a little cheaper, but in the end you would probably upgrade to a pair of 400s and wish you never spent the money on the 250s. It is slightly more expensive to do it right, but less expensive in the long run because upgrades are rarely needed when set up right the first time.
    I have time. Would love to help see this come alive for you.

Ballast kits ( as well as bulbs ) can be found cheap at plantlightinghydroponics.com . Good people.

5. I don't want to sound like a whino, er, I mean whiner, BUT with 3- 13 yr. olds, 2 boys and a girl, into track, pageants, scouts, a n d I home school them, I just don't have the time to do it myself. What I really need is simplicity. I wish they made plug-n-play pot farms. Hey, there is a project you're undoubtedly up for! I really get the whole pot engineering thing. Infinate possibilities to keep one busy forever or longer if you get stoned while you plan your next grow.

Waddya think?

I'm gonna go toke up, watch something funny on tv, and try to get inspired about another long day tomorrow. :bongin:

6. Understood. Well a light rail and a single 400 may produce some decent results in that area.

7. I've just been reading some about CFL's. I never dreamed there could be so many options! By the grace of God, I just came into a small amount of extra dough, so maybe this will be a little easier. :hello:

8. CFLs are also an option, but I find that it is just as costly to do right that it is to buy HPS. 42watt bulbs are near $10 a piece, 10 of those are $100, and you still need wiring, electrical boxes, lamp holders, and something to mount the electrical boxes to. Comes out to be equal watt for watt IMHO.