Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Been diagnosed: Polycystic Kidney Disease - help?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by canofthebis, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I have been diagnosed with this illness.

In short it means -

My kidneys have a 60+% chance of failing by the time im 60.
    If i have any children there is a 50% chance they will have it.

Obviously this is no fun, but i am calm about it as by the time we are 60 i would guess most of us will have some fucked up issues. My main fear is having kidney failure when im young and spritely!

What i need your help with?

Basically, if i lead a healthy lifestyle, with little salt, no smoking ( lol ) and good exercise i could go 5+ years longer without an issue.

I am not going to quit smoking as my good mary jane is worth more than a few years without my kidney + the doctors probably mean smoking like 20 cigarettes a day or something. I smoke spliffs, no ciggarettes.

However - SALT is my big problem - too much of it can cause my kidneys massive trouble - i am fine throughout the day but when i have smoked on a night i eat up to 15 bags of crisps!

For some reason, when i have finished smoking and i am just chilling watching tv my stomach cries out for more food that is quick and nice on the taste buds.

Is it impossible to resist the munchies after 2 years of giving in?

Is anything else quick + easy without much salt?

Do you have any methods of controlling the munchies? Seriously i feel like im yearning for food for 2 hours!

Stay strong - stay organic!!!!

2. Hello bro,

So sorry to hear of the diagnosis. It is unfortunate, but as you say it is a fair bit away.
    It is entirely possible to resist the munchies, even after 2 years of giving in man.

Try some fruit? I know it sounds boring but it's damn tasty when high.

If you want something with some crunch, check out low salt/salt free alternatives to crisps. In England they do such a thing at Sainsburys. They are brilliant with some healthy dips and they are still very tasty trust me.

Best of luck bro.

Tom

3. #3 HippyAmnesic, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
    This is gonna sound a bit harsh but..

If you continue to munch the fuck out when your stoned.. you. will. die.

Nothing could be more motivating than that dude. Your personal mental and physical health should come before pretty much anything else imo. I know you can do it bro, because i overcame an eating disorder. :)

Edit: Take up cooking man.. learn how to cook basic good food and you will reap the benefits. I cant tell you how many times my low fat/low salt brownies have got me laid.. seriously. :D

4. you need to stop the tobacco completely bro. even if it is just in spliffs. stick to green only.

• Like Like x 1
  5. go out and get some granola cereal, some nuts like peanuts, walnuts, pecans (delicious), and toss em all in a big bowl and mix it all together. so simple and so good. I sometimes will melt some chocolate and lightly drizzle it over the bowl so I get a bit of that when im munchin down. Make sure all ur shits unsalted tho.

6. More water, and start looking into making all of your own nutritious foods. Plenty of sources for recipes and such.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Now is the time when one must ask themselves, "Do I love myself more than I love ______?" Fill in the blank.

You've been told you have a possibly fatal disease. Now you have to own that. Take responsibility for your health by learning everything you possibly can about your disease. Don't just take a doctor's word for things. Do some research, and keep your options open. Do not limit yourself to the recesses of conventional medicine. There are lots of natural resources for people to take advantage of, not just to improve health, but for preventative purposes as well. Don't expect many doctors to tell you about theses things because if they can't write a prescription for it, they would just assume it not exist.

As far as those things you could be doing right now to improve your overall well-being, those things can be accomplished with little more than a slight life-style change. You say you like salty snacks. Now would be a good time for you to start experimenting with different herbs and spices to flavor your snacks and other food. Don't wait until the last minute to decide you want something to kick the munchies. Prepare for it ahead of time. If you're like me, after you smoke cannabis you get said munchies, and you want a quick fix, rather than having to put a lot of effort into making something. If so, prepare your snacks before you partake in the herb, and before you've lost the motivation to prepare them.

And we all know smoking is bad. Every doctor you see for the rest of your life is going to tell you that same thing over and over and over again. But you don't want to give up cannabis any more than the rest of us do. I suggest avoiding blunt wraps at all cost. If you can, you might want to try to avoid smoking joints, too. Try sticking to pipes so you don't have to smoke any paper. You should strive to limit yourself to pipes and vapes, and edibles whenever it's convenient.

I know what it means to be young and sick. It's fucking scary. I just received another new diagnosis, myself, last week. I asked my doctor if we were playing some kind of twisted game to see how many diagnosis I can rack up in under five years. He chuckled...I didn't. I've spent the last four years researching alternative medicine. I won't dare say I'm an authority on the subject, but I do know how to find certain information quickly. So if there is anything I can do to help you, any question you can't find the answer to, please feel free to pm me. If I don't know the answer, I will find it for you.

8. Jelly beans are pretty crazy when u r high (eat like 4 at a time) and I don't think they hav much salt in them so u might want to try that. Best of luck

9. check this out.
    book: neanderthin (eat like a caveman) if you can find this book it explaines tons about our modern diet versus a primitive diet which has saved many lives already. seriously ive read it and recommend it all the time. the majority of bodily failures result from diet and bad habits like overeating the wrong things. its easy to overeat the right things and stay healthy and fit.

10. baaaaaahahahahah:laughing:

11. Very true - now can we get that recipe=)

No - granola and nuts are processed with lots of fats and salt, and chemicals. Make your own snacks, then you can control how much salt and nasty crap is in it.
    Even if you don't want to go paleo diet, you can cook your own foods and control what you eat.

My favorite snack is homemade hummus with celery, carrot and cuke sticks - i soak the dried chick peas so i dont get all the salt in the canned ones. the next afternoon, rub the now rehydrated chick peas in a towel to remove the hulls, toss into a blender with olive oil, some peeled mashed garlic, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and some tahini [there is salt in this, it is the sesame version of peanut butter, essentially] and whiz until a paste.

12. I know you said you don't wanna quit smoking but anyway you could always VAPE :D

13. #13 tuhumom, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
    I feel for everyone with kidney problems.  It's almost impossible to find honest answers when you are trying to get better.  Fortunately, I came across some natural remedies that reversed my kidney disease and saved my life.  This is one of the places where I got some good information:

[SIZE=11pt]http://journalofnaturalhealth.com/kidney/kidneyhealth.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Best of luck to everyone![/SIZE]

14. try strain switchup to see if u still get munchies. avoid iodide salt if you are having it, sea salt is the natural way to go and healthier 100%

15. First off, you gotta quit the spliffs. Invest in some glass or a vape. Or just regular joints.
    Second, try not to keep that stuff in your house. If you live alone, stop buying it. If you live with someone, tell them not to let you eat salty stuff.
    Try to drink a lot when you're high. I like water and Ginger Ale. Find a soda (or Seltzer) that isn't awful, and leave 2 Liters of water and no more than 1 Liter of soda, and only drink, try not to eat.
    Break into some fruit. Apples, Bananas, oranges, etc. If you enjoy it sober you'll enjoy it high.
    Go for unsalted nuts. Peanuts, Walnuts, Cashews, etc. Usually if you look in the cooking section they're less processed than in the consumer section.
    Don't forget to cheat a little. Don't eat an entire bag of chips, but maybe grab one of those snack size ones at the gas station.

16. Op hasn't logged in since december 2013 for anybody wondering, but this topic can still be good for a lot of reasons.. just pointing that out in case someone types a huge response for the OP.