Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Becoming a stoner: ADDICTION OR CHOICE?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Messiah Decoy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Agreed

But I think it all depends on the situation/person

2. I dont consider myself a addict or even a pot head even though that i think i smoke a good amount of weed. I smoke anywhere from 1-1.7g in blunts a night, 4-6 times a week. I smoke only at night and rarely by myself. I am usually with a friend and sometimes my brother. No one ever sees me high and to tell you the truth i dont even like people labeling me as any kind of weed smoker (maybe because most of my friends dont smoke thats why i am always smoking with that one friend and my brother). Smoking is something i do because there is really nothing else better to do. I can stop anytime I want but i dont have a reason to. I am 19, college student and have a job. I have no real responsibilities such as bills, kids whatever. Looks like weed is almost a hobby to me?

3. You live in Poland?

4. same here. I have other things i'm interested and engaged in throughout the day but i still have some free time that is best filled by herb.

5. I definitely wouldn't say it's an addiction/dependancy, people just say that because stoners love weed so much, although it's definitely possible for people to develop a dependency if it's used wrong.

Personally, it's a choice. I can sit down and say "I'm not going to smoke for a week" then proceed to not smoke for a week, but I'll definitely have the occasional thought of "man I wish I was high right now", because if I'm sitting at home doing nothing, why not?

It's not that I NEED to get high, it just improves so many things that I see no reason not to. However I never smoke for school or when I need to apply myself mentally. So I wouldn't call it an addiction I'd call it a passion.

6. I wish i did :). I was born there and came to the U.S (Wisconsin) when i was 7-8.

7. Ever see the scene half baked when thurgood tried to go into rehab for marijuana? Thats how i feel about people who think theyre addicted to it.

In public, I like to hold my pax up high in the air and scream "i have the powerr!!!"

8. This is so true. Made me cry tears of joy

9. I would say it's a bit of both. At first it was an addiction, then later it became a choice.

10. i feel there is no difference. its hard to stop because most people do not have a reason. At least i never did, until i got caught with a dime, and have to take a court ordered "drug screening". first time i've ever stopped, and its not as hard as I thought. keep in mind i have never taken a break. So i would say it depends on the person, but some level of addiction

11. I feel like its both. I'm choosing to let myself become more and more addicted. I have to go in a 6 month break. And I know that I can do it. However I REALLY REALLY don't wanna do it. And the fact that I am going to miss it so much makes me wonder, could it be addiction? But then again I am stopping and showing restraint, so I guess not.

12. Different people handle mind altering substances differenty, so that is a tough question.

13. i love it a lot. its definitely slowing me down with moving on in life. but its my choice and i'll face the consequences.

14. It depends on the person I suppose. Depends how psychologically strong you are.

15. Thats one of the smartest analogies i've ever heard, props. I'm on the GC app, when i click on someones name aside from quote share etc what is the little white box you can highlight to the left? Sorry to derail but is that 'rep' or a simple 'like'. Aside i agree with above.

16. [quote name='"ultraturd22"']i feel there is no difference. its hard to stop because most people do not have a reason. At least i never did, until i got caught with a dime, and have to take a court ordered "drug screening". first time i've ever stopped, and its not as hard as I thought. keep in mind i have never taken a break. So i would say it depends on the person, but some level of addiction[/quote]

Addiction would involve withdrawals when stopping.....

17. There is a fine line. A very fine line. If it effects your life in a negative fashion, I would consider it addiction. If not, it isn't.