Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Becoming a stoner: ADDICTION OR CHOICE?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Messiah Decoy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Choice, definitely.
    Someone who runs 5 miles a day is not considered to have an addiction, but rather a healthy active lifestyle. Let's say that person has to stop running due to an injury, they are mostly certainly going to have an intense urge to go jogging during their healing time. Sure, they can stop and live just fine without it but it's something they enjoy and usually when you enjoy things you want to do them again. They may even feel a little "crazy" and restless without running to blow off steam or whatever. Very similar to the same psychological effects a stoner goes through when they can't get high! Just because it's a mind altering substance the media wants to portray it as something potentially dangerous. Although weed won't damage your knees and running will :p

2. It's a choice, and in my opinion marijuana is psycho-actively addictive but I've never felt the need to smoke so not exactly addictive in the way cigarettes are.

3. Exactly, I'm on a t break right now and don't feel like I'm gonna die or any crackheadish stuff. There's a difference between not wanting to quit and not being able to quit

Sent from my iPhone 5 using GC Forum

4. Its a lifestyle choice that turns into a habit not an addiction.

In public, I like to hold my pax up high in the air and scream "i have the powerr!!!"

5. Cannabis is different from other drugs. It isn't about escaping reality. It's about increased appreciation for reality.

If this is the case then the question becomes: what's wrong with choosing a "lifestyle" that boost appreciation for reality?

That's not addiction, that's common sense.

6. #26 BudBrownies, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
    No other man made drug can say that....

every pill the doctors want you to get addicted too so they can line their own pockets, along with the bud light ads, bars with football games and other corse the hard illegal drugs.

All this stuff will really f your life up....I already told you about my 1 year addiction to opiate pain killers.

I used cannabis to detox from the drug, the withdrawls can last up to a year, is what im told....no energy and body aching, depression....two MONTHS clean....

7. Ask yourself if you're giving up anything important (study time, money you can't spend, etc.). If you are not and you use it responsibly i'd say you're not addicted, you just enjoy a toke.

For me, an "addict" is someone that puts weed above all other priorities and will sacrifice anything to get stoned again. Like kids in high school that smoke way too much and end up failing/not graduating.

8. It's a choice, I just love to smoke and relax its like I can take a vacation just by toking.

9. For me, I thought it was a choice until the amount I smoked increased.

I didn't feel the same anymore and I was kinda depressed, I didn't really wanna smoke but it was habit and I'd get agitated if I wasn't smoking. I also got withdrawals when I did stop.

I wouldn't call it an addiction though. It's the same with anything in your life. Tomorrow, just don't eat sugar. You're body gets used to certain things being introduced to it, take it away completely, it's gonna confuse it.

10. For me, it's a choice.

Something really big must happen in my life for me to quit weed.

11. We're not addicted, were committed.

12. I'm joking haha

13. I dont smoke every day and i think thats the best way to do it. I LOVE being stoned and i def consider myself a stoner because i do smoke a lot and enjoy it. However, i will never NEED to smoke. If i dont have money my first thing to buy when i get money will never be weed.

14. I would never say that I cannot live without it.

If I don't have any for the x & y reasons, I'll wish I had it.

If I can get it, I'll get it.

If I'll have it, I'll smoke every day (besides days close to exams).

I would never give it up because it just gives you a break from reality, and reality SUCKS.

I don't know if I'm addicted or if it's my choice.. all I know is that I am a stoner.

15. choice for me.

Though i do over do it sometimes. But i love the lifestyle. the music. the history. Everything that comes with the MJ plant. Even my brother, who has never smoked a joint or even second hand smoked, likes the smell of marijuana and the way it looks. He also likes it when i tell him some interesting facts about MJ. :):)

16. ^^^ Thats what my cousin always says lololol:smoking:

17. I'd say psychological "addiction" leans more towards simply a habit. If you stop for over a week youd probably notice little repercussions afterward on the daily urge to smoke. However being severely stressed would make me want to smoke regardless of how long I'd been stopped.

18. I def dont think its a break from reality.. but i understand where you going. Its like your happy place as it is others.

19. I'm physically addicted to marijuana and experience withdrawals after stopping my use of marijuana. I'm not the only one and people that also experience withdrawals report having similar withdrawal symptoms. Most notably: insomnia, lack of appetite, agitation and pointless anger. Ok now burn me over the fire for speaking fact.

20. Not fact man, semi-fact maybe.

The reason you and a select few get these symptoms is because you have a natural cannabinoid deficiency. Pretty sure this starts from toking while your brain is still developing.

At what age did you begin inhaling if you don't mind me asking? [This is all theory, so be honest]