Becoming a police officer.

Discussion in 'General' started by miss marijuana, Nov 1, 2009.

1. I'm a stoner that watches alot of Law & Order, specifically, SVU.
    I've always wanted a job that would make a significant difference, for the right reasons.
    I've been giving the thought alot of (well thought!) lately of becoming a police officer, i would have to 2 years of regular patrol and then i would get to choose to switch into a different unit. Special Victims ( they solve sex crimes or crimes involving chrildren ) or Homicide would be my choices.
    Unfortunately the more i look into it, the more it looks like thats not going to be possible.
    Even if i enrolled in school now, i still wouldn't be clean by the time i would have to take my test at the academy. They test back for marijuana at least 2 years. Also, apparently they give you a polygraph test...lmao.. i know i'd fail that motherfucker anyway.

2. There is no way to test for marijuana since 2 years back,the ONLY test that can go back that far is a hair test,but if you cut your hair,then there is no way to test that far back

THC metabolites only stay in your system for a max of a few months,even if you are the heaviest stoner there ever was and you're obese.

As fas as the polygraph goes I don't know what type of questions they would ask.
    But..know that polygraphs can be fooled just as well as drug tests can.

Very little in this world is foolproof,remember that.

P.S Don't become a cop,why,just why.....You'll end up arresting fellow stoners for a stupid law that should'nt even exist,sounds very hypocritical of you.

3. That's the test they would be giving, is a hair sample test.

There's so much more to being a police officer than busting people for drugs and petty shit. Can you even imagine what it would be like without cops, without a fear of reprimand ???
    How many more people would be raped, killed, children hurt??
    I'm a decent person, i think there needs to be more people like me as police officers.
    I know i would heavily consider who i take to jail.
    And like i said, i wouldn't be a regular cop i would be a Special Victims or Homicide investigator, hopefully.

4. She said she wanted to make a difference, so she wants to become a cop.

5. Yea I fully undertsand the need for cops,it's just that I find cops to be so lame how they act so superior and talk down to everybody.

Also cops have never served or protected me from shit,all they have ever done is harrass me,I have a bad relationship with cops is all.

But anyway,yea if this is something you truly want to do then go ahead.
    Do what you have to do,but if you ever meet me in real life and i'm currently on a pick-up run.....please leave me alone!!!!!!!!!

6. Like i said, i'm not going to become one now.
    I'm not going through 2 years of school just to get turned down.

7. Yeas but he is quite right. As a police office you have something called "duty to act" (at least in the UK, don't know about US), so you have to enforce the law, otherwise you're breaking it yourself. Basically, arrest yourself. =P There are many more ways you can help the community as a whole without becoming a killjoy frontline soldier for the Man. Red Cross?

8. I'm thinking a Social Worker maybe.

9. That's surprising. First of all because most officers have their heads shaved anyway, and I haven't heard of any departments using the hair test.

I'm also kinda in the same situation you are. I'm a CJ major but not sure what I want to do with it yet. It's probably different in all areas, but around here I believe you just have to quit smoking 1 year before you try to become a cop (mainly for the polygraph test).

10. True, but with minor things such as small amounts of drugs there is a thing called discretion.

11. Yes because fellow stoners are more important than getting killers and child molesters off the streets huh?

12. It's not the officers fault if you get caught with bud when you know it's illegal, you choose to take the risk ;)

13. I'm a woman, so of course my hair would not be shaved, LOL., but yea i hear you.
    Anyway, thats what the professor @ my school informed me. Along with the polygraph & having to pass the physical test.
    The community college i go to has Law Enforcement classes and is in partnership with the local PD, so i got to asking a couple questions..

14. Amen!!!

If God forbid that anyone was to abduct one of your children ( if you have any ) i'm sure that you wouldn't mind having a "hypocritical" cop there trying to find him/her??
    Or if someone raped your wife, murdered one of your parents.
    Stole your car, robbed your house.

15. I guess I should have looked at your username before saying that. :p

16. I was able to pass two polygraph tests given by the Arizona Sheriff's Dept.

Those tests don't dectect lies, they detect if you're nervious. It's all scare tactic.

17. Cops dont make any difference, they just harass people for petty crimes and make a living off of ruining other peoples lives.

If you wanna make a difference, join the peace corpse and go over to Africa and help starving children or something.

18. I sure hope that was a joke :rolleyes:

19. I think i'd rather help the many lives that are devastated by rape, murder, and child abduction in my own country before i'll go on a crusade to help the next.

20. Before you can do that your gonna spend alot of time giving out citations for petty bullshit, but hey if thats what your into go for it.

And to the guy who rolled his eyes at me, yeah i do believe that. Yeah i mean the police do some good, but atleast in my area 9 times outta 10 the police reports read something like:

"suspicious activity - man walking down the side of the road: Was told to leave the area"

How is that doing any good?