Becoming a civilian soon, back to the good life!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by goldrush217, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Well, I am getting into the days total on when I will be a normal person and free of the military. My brother grows in tents I funded for him, and I'm ready to grow my own now that I can go back to taking the worlds best medicine:smoke:. Im going to go on a much smaller scale than him at first, using just one 4x4x7 tent with 1000W HPS (dimmable lumatek ballast). I am seeking some advice. I have all my supplies/seeds lines up (LSD, Vanilla Kush, OG Kush, Pineapple Express) So right now Im worried about temperature/humidity. I have looked at some small portable AC units (only 5000 btu). Have people had success with these doing the job? Is it even necessary. Ive read of people having humidity issues when using these. I have an active air running into a carbon filter, so I will be moving a decent amount of air. Also, Im not sure if you would set the actual unit inside the tent, or just cool the room the tent is in down more. No pictures for you all...yet. We had heat issues in the 4x8 tent my brother runs, so I expect even more in a smaller area.
    I keep my house fairly warm (78-80) degrees to save a little money and I run alot of fans. When I am gone during the day I bump it up to 85, or even turn it off (which just wont be an option once I start)
    I do not know anything at all about humidity/humidity control. My brother has had no issues with having successful grows, but he doesn't report back to me on the levels. I know the goal is 50-60%.
    I do not like to half-ass things so Im working to make my set up and overall grow as "legit" as possible.

Also, Im really interested in scrog. Ive read a TON online in the last year while helping my brother out, but I know NOTHING replaces that hands on, make mistakes experience. Is a scrog too ambitious for a first grow? I have 12 3 gallon smart pots right now, my original plan was to grow 5 plants normally, but the scrog seems like you get the most bang for your buck out of an area the size I'm utilizing.

2. First off thank you for your dedication to our country:smoke:

Very glad to hear your going to begin to grow:wave:

Currently I have a 5000btu AC in a 9x10x10 room where my 5 1/4 x 3 x 2 tent is. Without it, temps can reach into the high 80's, when it's on temps are perfect using CFLs. (75-78 degrees)

I recommend a cool tube with those bulbs to keep it cooler. Air coolable goods are great for possible heat issues.

And I wouldn't say it is too ambitious to scrog your first grow, but it may complicate the basics for you. If your brother is more experienced and willing to help I would for sure plan things out with him, two heads are better than one.

Here is a scrog how to, of you haven't run across it thus far: http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/48363-scrog-method.html

3. Welcome back!

4. Welcome back I left the military a couple years ago :) Now make the big bucks as a contractor!

Humidity is the least thing you need to be worrying about on the totem pole of worries. If your a normal human you run heat or ac. If your running heat water vapor is removed out of the air. If your running AC one of the primary purposes of AC is to remove water. Anyhow either way you will have low humidity. You can buy a humidifer but I never found them necessary.

As for heat 1000w HPS will generate some crazy heat. Cool air in hot air out. When your setting up your vent think about the whole dynamics. If your growing in a closet which suck to grow in the walls trap heat etc. Dont trap the exhaust of your inline fans inside a small closet or something, let it vent out near the ceiling. Everyones set is different so its hard to comment but plan it out and run some dry runs without growing anything. 80-85 inside the tent is good. If you keep your place warm that will have a direct impact on the tent. You tent without a AC like your mentioned will never get below whatever the room temp is. Your lights will add X amount of heat...so room tent + temp from lights = temp. My 800w LED adds about 10 degrees of heat with my inline fans on. So I keep my AC at 72-75.

For your 1st growing method suggest you stick to just growing a plant so you can see. You will have all of your life to try different techniques.

5. Thanks for the help! I've thought it throw, and it would probably be cheaper to just drop my house ac a few degrees, instead of running extra ac. I think I'll just run the grow regular, even though that scrog is appealing. I'll post pictures of my set up on a few days and show everyone what it's looking like

6. #6 goldrush217, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    [quote name='"BYOweed"']First off thank you for your dedication to our country:smoke:

Very glad to hear your going to begin to grow:wave:

Currently I have a 5000btu AC in a 9x10x10 room where my 5 1/4 x 3 x 2 tent is. Without it, temps can reach into the high 80's, when it's on temps are perfect using CFLs. (75-78 degrees)

I recommend a cool tube with those bulbs to keep it cooler. Air coolable goods are great for possible heat issues.

And I wouldn't say it is too ambitious to scrog your first grow, but it may complicate the basics for you. If your brother is more experienced and willing to help I would for sure plan things out with him, two heads are better than one.

Here is a scrog how to, of you haven't run across it thus far: http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/48363-scrog-method.html[/quote]

How much month did this increase you're power bill? I know the math involved to figure out an estimate, but I was wondering if you could tell me your real world number

7. #7 BYOweed, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    Well I couldn't really tell you as my bill fluctuates. I don't have central cooling so sometimes I need to run more AC's in different rooms throughout the house resulting in some bills being higher. But, if you've got central then you could probably come up with a better number. My lights aren't HID either but I've heard commonly that a 600-1000watter should only cost about the amount of running a computer all day.

8. Thanks for the energy Cal. Disappointed to see their default is 8 cents and that my rate is 14! I think I'll hold off on buying the ac, and just bump my ambient air temp I'm my house down 5 degrees to offset this at first

9. It varies by location so odds are youd have to input something else. Mine is .11 cents my grandmas up in New England is like 24 cents..why she has 300-400 energy bills in the winter in a 2 bedroom condo.

Cannabis does fine 75-85. Even 90 wont do much.

10. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']

It varies by location so odds are youd have to input something else. Mine is .11 cents my grandmas up in New England is like 24 cents..why she has 300-400 energy bills in the winter in a 2 bedroom condo.

Cannabis does fine 75-85. Even 90 wont do much.[/quote]

Yeah I changed it my rate, was just bummed I was above the "average" by quite a bit.... But 24 Cents!! That is ridiculous, guess I need to stop complaining lol

11. Goldrush, a 5000 btu window unit is not very expensive & will give you much more control. Worth every penny IMHO, especially with a 1000. Cool the room & rely upon a good cool tube reflector & power vent fan exhausting outside the tent to turn over the air inside the tent.
    Your 4X4 tent would be fine with a 600W if you keep the front 1X4 area open for access. 12 sq. ft. of grow canopy with a 600W is perfect, and will generate excellent bud quality.

Welcome back soon, and thanks for the service. Bestaluck to ya.

12. AC in Oakland with a 600 watt setup runs $400 a month for electricity. Really sucks.
    Lights on at night & door open, room vented with 4 inch inline. Passive airintake from an open window in another room. When the room is closed during dark cycle I use both inline 4 inch & a 6 inch intake with oscillating fan. Keeps the electricity down around $200 or so.
    Thanks for your service & welcome home.:hello:
    Cheers:D

13. DAMNNNN, is CA importing their electricity from Mars? Sorry to hear that, dude. Hottest summer on record here & my highest bill was $250. Big house, too.

14. Morning Olde School,
    Actually my first grow was worse that that when I ran the Ac, bigger fans & a 1000 watt light 24/7. But I redid my room & restructured my grow schedule now my bill is about half that $400.
    We here in Ca. have the distinct privilege of our state being run by idiots, morons & the insane.
    Example a school board in So Cal borrowed a 100 million repayable in 40 years to the tune of just under a billion, 983 million to be exact. Instead of the regular bond method which would have been one third of that. And people wonder why our electricity rates are so high.
    Cheers:D

15. When I read that news article the other day I had had to stare at the tv. I came to the conclusion that your legislators in Cali are not retarded there insane. Throughly. The day after that news report came out it seems all over Cali your schools and local governments are doing that as well. Oceanside schools borrowed 30 million will owe 250 million. Escondido has done the same thing.

The people of your fine state should be in mass demanding those idiots resignations.

Then again its no better then then high speed train your Governor has signed up for. 70 billion dollar loan for that and most likely it will go double over budget and never been completed. State full of fools for leaders.

16. What do you guys think of this filter
    Amazon.com: 6 Gallon Countertop Water Filter Purifier - Save $$$ - Transform Tap Water to Pure Healthy Mineral Drinking Water: Kitchen & Dining

Its not straight RO, but it seems like a cheaper option

Also, has anyone used AN final phase? Is it worth it or just a gimmick and using straight water to flush is better? getting ready to make a last amazon order to tie all the lose ends together.

Looking at this big mofo:
    Amazon.com: Air King 9016 Commercial Grade Oscillating Wall Mount Fan, 16-Inch: Home & Kitchen

worried it might be overkill for 4x4 but I think its gonna be good to go.

17. You dont need RO, Tap water is fine. Never used anything but that. RO is better tough.

Final Phase is ok. Bought a liter of it cheap so still using it...but honestly dont know if it works better then regular water.

Fan is cool but you can get a clip on that clips on to your tent inside.

Should hit up a hydrostore if you havent or check out Grow Lights by High Tech Garden Supply | Your Online Hydroponics Store.

18. #19 goldrush217, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
    Ive seen the clip ons, but I was wanting to circulate the air the more. I suppose getting 3 clip ons will do the job for me though, and be much easier to mount up.

Hydro store next week, im gettin back the states monday, cant wait!!!!

19. Youd be suprised how much a clip on moves...its good sized. I use it in my 4x4 tent.

HTG Supply - Growbright 6 Inch Clip-On Fan