beautiful glass...not a bong yet

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by addictedtoweed, Feb 3, 2010.

1. #1 addictedtoweed, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    so I need some opinions on whether or not this is would be able to be made into a bong.
    the top of it is a little more than 3 inches in diameter so i think i would need something to attach to the top to make that smaller.

the only other problem i could see would be where to drill for the down stem as the base only starts to extend at the very bottom maybe the last inch and a half....

i would really love to convert this thing into a bong as it is about a 1/4 inch thick!!!

ha let me try and include some photos that dont feature my last name

Attached Files:

2. Thats goona be tough for sure.

3. no tips or suggestions?

4. Buy a bong
    just go to the Grasscity shop section and get one with a percolator you'll be happy with it

5. well yes i could buy a piece. but i would like to make a nice bong for much cheaper than i can buy a similar height and thickness glass bong...this is why i made the thread...

6. Even with a diamond drill bit i don't think you will be able to get a hole in 1/4 inch thick glass without it cracking.

7. if you fill a glass object with water before drilling, its supposed to stop high-frequency resonances that shatter glass when you drill it. i dont know how well it would work, i havent drilled anything because i dont have the proper bit, but when you do get the proper one, fill that sucker with water to be safe. maybe even also put it in a tub with water going up to a inch or so below the hole. even if you start the hole without water and its fine, if you dont finish drilling from the other side (impossible in this case) it will shatter without water (most likely).

hope that helps!!

8. Yeah that looks like it could become a decent bong, but its going to be hard to get a hole without cracking it. Hurley's advice seems sound, try to find out more about drilling into glass before going ahead with it. You would def need the diamond drill bits

9. yea im gonna do some research into that...anyways now for the top its too big to get a seal with your mouth so i was thinknig about getting something that would cover it and have a hose coming out the top...although i do not know where i would get that haha

10. i've also heard you can fill it with sand while drilling? idk.. seems like it might work a bit better than water

11. a rubber cap type thing would be best. that stretches over and around the top, so that you can put holes in it for hoses. maybe another piece of flat glass, then use silicon to seal it on after putting in holes for hoses or... i know! a glass funnel 3 in wide at the widest part. silicon that on upsidedown, and the use the bottom as a mouthpiece, and you could cut it if you want ( if you do, google glass torch polishing and polish the cut ends so its not sharp)

imo i think water would absorb more of the vibrations. but google would know for sure.

12. #12 Hurley1x, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    i know this is double post but it is worthy of such the lid of a pringles can is flexible plastic and is a little less than 3 inches in diameter. idk how wide it needs to be, but if it fits it would be perfect

edit: nvm i saw again it needs to be a little more than 3 inches. my bad

edit: there are other various things available in the grocery store that would work for a lid, like the lid off of a peanuts can, can of tea leaves etc.

good luck!

13. Holy crap thats a big opening of the mouth. Instead of doing a hose system I would just try to use one of those caps and make an opening thats appropriate. Ud only have to take off like an inch in diameter I guess.. Or if you could find like a rubber circle lining that could fit that would be better

14. You could probably buy a already made piece for the price of what it is going to take to make this home made. Especially if you don't already own diamond bits and a dremel. Unless of course you aren't allowed into headshops.

15. Don't you need to anneal that hole after you drill it also? I don't think you just drill a hole and done....