1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Beating apathy. Creating Legalisation. IDEAS FACTORY

Discussion in 'Legalization and Activism' started by Digit, Jan 13, 2004.

1. how?

what can be done to make people realise the importance of being an active member of society and the political spectrum. theres more to it than just voting. some dont even do that, yet they still complain.

how do rid people of their apathy?

reason doesnt seem to work... so what next?

to give you an idea of the type of radical ideas i'm looking for:
    http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=387903

ALL suggestions welcome, no matter how rediculous it may seem.

2. I think a lot of people have the "It won't happen to me, I'm smarter than everybody else" mentality. They don't realize that it's really only 50% smarts, 50% luck that keeps you from getting caught by the pigs.

I've found that people who have actually been arrested (like me) are not only a lot more serious about being activists afterwards, but are a lot smarter about not getting caught.

No specific strategies come to mind, though. Won't be able to smoke for a couple more weeks anyway, until I can destroy the fucking pigs in court (I am 99% sure I can prove I was illegally stopped). But once I can get nice and stoned again, we'll see how my creativity goes.

3. :)

thnx for the reply sad panda.

i understand your pesimism. theres plenty to cause pesimism and plenty to be pesimistic about. but you bring up a good point, one that does explain another aspect of why more tokers arent activists that hadnt fully occured to me.

to fix a problem we must identify it, understand it. ;)

and thats what you're helping do.

i came into being drawn towards activism simply through the shock of learning just how bad the lies we had been taught in school really were. my incursion with the police had little effect on me as it was already the most important cause in my life. And so, often i have little awareness of how other people percieve the conditions that are imposed upon us all.

the point you bring to the fore does fit with the wacky idea i presented to the overgrowers. force everyone's hand so to speak, as they wont realise the importance until they get a nasty shock.

4. lol yer overgrow idea is the first thing that came to my mind when I read panda's post (mebbe you should link to it Digit).

Though I've given that one some more thought and even if it worked i just don't know if I could do that to anyone, getting busted can mean more than a fine or jail time, it can mean broken promises and disapointment, or even a loss of an education (in the states they take away federal funding for college if you're a convicted drug offender).

I'll be back with my short list of original ideas concerning legalization once I have a toke :)

5. i did! didnt u see it?

6. heh, missed it i guess, and i'm still gonna come back with some ideas!

7. Digit, I read your overgrow thread, and I must say I applaud your enthusiasm and out of the box thinking. The success of anything like this depends greatly on the number of people participating. I think the key to getting people envolved is keeping it simple. People as a general rule are lazy. And stoners, as a general rule, are no different. The idea should prefferably be something that people can participate in from there own homes, on their own time. Trying to organize mass gatherings is a logistical nightmare, and realistically only a small percentage of people who agreed with the cause would actually show up. It sounds like this wasn't really your idea though. Which brings me to my next point. I'm not exactly sure what your idea is :) I read through the whole thread, but I still didn't have a clear idea of what you were proposing. For anything like this to work, it will have to be easily understandable, spelled out with a clear step by step plan and goals, and be easy for people to identify/agree with.

Now, with all that being said, I have no idea what to do that would accomplish all that. I'm behind ya all the way though.

8. its based on the same principle behind the "hand yourself into the law days" that if all stoners were to hand themselves in to the authorities then it would clog up the system so the point that you'd effectively be holding the nation to ransom. the law is so impracticle that you cannot possably lock up every stoner.

but this plan failed because a) not everyone knew about it. and b) loads of people dont want to do it.

so to get around both a and b,
    i proposed that you only need one person out of every circle of tokers, and have them hand in EVERYONE to the police, not just themselves.

the legal system will become clogged and they would be left with no option but to realise teh error in the law.

theres only 8 more days that this could be done in the UK, so i cant see it happening here. once reclassification this is no longer an option. but for teh US..... depending on what figures you believe are tokers.... theres no way they can lock up 11% to 40% of the population.

Grasscity Deals Near You