Bears

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Zedstomper, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hi guys, I've been eyeing this spot to try out some auto strains and what I've noticed twice now is there's black bears living in the area (I don't know how many or how far of a radius) But probably one. y idea is to buy some bear mace if he/she gets to interested with me. Is there anything else I can do or should I just stay out of that area?

Also how do I keep them away from small plants?

Thank you so much!

2. Bears will usually run from you in general especially a black bear, just dont get too close to a momma and her cubs. Definitely have bear spray, a knife, and dont go into the woods smelling like steak or something but for the most part you should be okay. If its not a safety concern with people hearing you, make noise as you walk, animals will hear you and run usually before you even see them.

3. what he said...

4. Do not use blood meal, or fish based fertilizers! 

Bears have that large wet nose, so sprinkle a little hot chili powder around your plants! Friend of mine used to use it in her trash cans. The bears soon decided that everyone else had better, less nasty trash and would skip raiding her cans! Dollar Store frequently has multi-ounce jars of chili powder- check there before buying it at the market.

Bring a small radio with you that makes noise (not an I-pod), or wear bells, sing, but be noisy!  Bears are smart enough to know that humans are dangerous, and if possible, they will avoid a confrontation.

And bears have the right of way, always!

Granny

5. Great info. Making loud noise will let the bears know you are close and they will normally leave and stay away from you. It's when you are quit and sneak up on the gear is when you have a problem. For flowering nite use guanos and other non animal based products. What ever you do don't put out poisons. Bear deserve to live and poising wildlife for plants is not worth it. I like the chilli powder idea. Use hot pepper and put it around the plants to hopefully deter the bears.