BB questions for net pot size and rockwool cube size??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by DaddyX3, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hi, I read through the sticky on how to do your own BB... I love the idea and made one. The issue I'm having right now is that I don't know if I got the right size net pot or rockwool cube. I have a 6" net pot and I shaved (made round to fit) a 6" cube down and stuffed it in the net pot. I'm just looking at it and thinking to myself that this might take some time for the roots to even come out of the rockwool and through the net pot!? Sooooo, what is the correct sizes for netpot and rockwool????

Thank you very much for your time :)

2. Haha great question bro, I was actually wondring the same exact thing to myself!
    Once you germinate the seed, what size rockwool cube should we be using, and is a 6" netpot big enough for the whole grow cycle?
    From the threads I've read, it seems like guys start in 2 or 3" cubes, with a layer of hydroton, the cube, then more hydroton around and over it, do you need to transplant to larger cubes, or do you let the roots work out of the small cube and thru the hydroton out into the nute solution?
    Good luck with your grow!

3. Thanks man ... you too. Maybe, I'll get a seasoned vet to give me an answer soon :D

4. I've never seen the sticky here on making a bubble bucket. Here's my personal design.

Bubble Bucket, 1 Plant Medium Size.jpg

I prefer a 3" net pot, and not to use any rockwool at all.

I dont like the PH swings of rockwool, and find the roots hit the bottom of the net cup faster in straight hydroton. I germ the seed until I have a sprout, and carefully place the sprout directly in the hydroton. I keep the water level 1" above the bottom of the net cup until the roots come out and then I lower it 1" below.

With a 3" net pot more area inside the bucket is left for water and root growth.

5. #5 Presure2, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Interesting!
    Do you have any problems with the hydroton being able to support the plant as it grows? What's the average overall size of your plants @ harvest time?

6. Are you asking because I dont use rockwool, or because I use 3" net cups?

7. I have seen a few bubble bucket builds on this site, none I have seen use rockwool without hydroton. I feel rockwool alone holds too much moisture for DWC, but I never tried it so it is only a guess.

I would only use rockwool if planting from seed. Use the one or two inch cubes if that is the case. Only put in the buckets when it shows roots through the cube or on the bottom. Cover the cube in hydroton then place the nutrient level (50% strength veg formula) so it just touches the bottom of the basket. Check it in four to six hours. If you see any signs of wilting, raise your nutrient a half inch. When you see roots hanging from the basket, change the nutrient to 100% strength veg formula and lower and maintain it at one inch below the basket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WOW.... right on! Thank you Rumpleforeskin! A picture says a thousand words :) I read your other how to on this but never saw a specific size on the cubes. So, 'ONLY' use cubes/ rockwool if starting from seed??? What about small clones that were started in soil or cubes? How else would you get your little girls planted into the netpots??? what supports them? Do you just stack hydroton around the base of the plant to support it?

Also, do you think it would be wise of me at this point to try and remove my little one from the giant 6" cube its in or remove some of the cube to make is smaller and have the roots closer to the bottom??

Thank you once again for your help!

9. You don't need rockwool to support the plants, just put the seedling or clone directly into the hydroton. It will grow roots around the hydroton to support itself. You can actually grow clones out with no media at all by using 3" neoprene inserts in a 3" net cup.

10. cool ... right on, thank you bruno :D I'll try and 'undo' the plant from its gigantic rockwool cube. or just leave a little bit in it if I cant completely remove it all from there.

11. #11 Rumpleforeskin, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    The best way to do it is: Keep your first clone in a small pot full of good soil. When it is big enough, take clones from her. Put the clones directly into the baskets and fill with hydroton. Try and get away from using rockwool.

12. Agreed, if your plant is already rooted in the rock wool you should let it be. Next time you know not to bother with the stuff though.

13. @ Rumple - you mean to take your cutting from mom and place it directly into the netpot?? without the use of any kind of medium other than hydroton???

@ bruno - I went and carefully removed the bottom of my rockwool and some off the sides and top and was able to expose quite a few more roots :) So, I put it back in the basket and piled some hydroton on top of it. I think it will be very soon (now that the roots are at the bottom of the basket) and she'll take off hopefully.

14. They usually start to take off when the roots hit the super-oxygenated water.

15. Did you see the pictures I posted above? Take cutting from the mother, root them in a clone machine and place rooted clone into basket and cover in hydroton.

16. Beautiful! Thank you! :)