Battle Royale (2000)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by NowIsB, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Recently watched this movie, was expecting something.... japanese... the movie delivers.

Straight up this movie is the shit, if you dont mind subtitles and are down to see one crazy ass plot and endless violence, this shit is for you, none of that pussy hunger games shit.

[​IMG]

buncha sexy babes in this movie, aswell as some stone cold killers. some mild romance plots, but mostly death on death.

If you have netflix, go stream this badboy, its well worth the 1h40 minutes.

forreal you will thank me later for puttin you on to this unknown classic

2. Battle Royale - Fun

Hunger Games - Smart and interesting

Sexy Babes? Maybe in a jailbait kind of way but that thought never crossed my mind, they all seem 15 years old haha kinda creepy.

3. thats because they are portrayed as 15.. but something tells me that there wasnt 40 15 year old kids runnign around an island filming such a gory movie. + the movie is sexualized in parts purposefully. Not to mention, its japanese, learn culture :)

hunger games is coo if you like watered down pointless copies of good movies.

4. Need to re watch it regarding the sexualized stuff.

Watered down as far as gore? Yes. Watered down as far as storytelling? Fuck no

We don't even know why the kids are on the island in BR. And also the acting is horrible. But I do like it, probably a 7/10 for me.

The Tenth Victim (1965) - People kill other people and it is broadcast through the media. This concept has been around forever, Lord of the Flies, The Condemned, Rollerball, Death Race, The Running Man, etc.. They are all about mans instinctive need for violence. The Hunger Games rated R would be a perfect movie.

5. We do know why the kids are on the island ;

wiki paste for best clarification.

I thought the acting was pretty good, not that that was the reason i wanted to watch the movie, if i wanted great acting i would have watched another marlon brando movie, but its not like it was atrocious and detracted from the movie, i thought in fact many of the "children" in the movie did a great job of conveying emotion and such.

and as far as the other movie you posted goes (10th victim), ill have to look into it, is it on netflix by chance?

6. #6 zah310, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
    Idk how much of that they are getting from the movie, I'm sure the book explains a lot more, I guess I just need to re watch it. I really like Battle Royale, that is not the point I am trying to make. I am just saying to not write off The Hunger Games because there are some similar plot points, lots of movies have similar qualities. I don't believe that is a valid detraction from the quality of the film.

Like if you said the casting in The Hunger Games was off, I would agree, except Lawrence, or if you said the dogs at the end sucked and looked like shit and were not scary at all I would highly agree. Battle Royale is bloodier and has more action so therefore it's better doesn't seem logical to me.

And Tenth Victim is available on disc through Netflix. Pretty cool concept I saw it awhile ago tho. In the future, (I think, culd be present day) in order to control the population they have a thing called the big hunt, where people assassinate each other and the deaths are used as publicity or something.

7. yea this shit was crazy as fuck lol part sucked tho i only watched about a 1/3 of it should of stuck to the same formula

id like to see an american remake

8. i just watched half and liked so far. wondering how its gonna end

9. I liked the book way better

Book is a 10/10

10. I need to read the book I feel like it would be a lot better for me too.

11. i watched the movie not so long and i liked it. liked how they showed how everyone died.

12. u kno i always wanted to watch this but im not good with japanese movies

13. One of the few movies where an english dub won't hurt the film, the script basically doesn't matter.

14. oh yea i didnt know it was japenese till after i started and someone told me about it... i didnt mind it

15. Just watched it then, it was pretty good. Idk what's supposedly wrong with the acting, I thought it was quite good- they captured the helplessness and panic of the situation really well.

However it wasn't exactly a film with depth... yes it was tense, violent and at times poignant, but beyond that it doesn't seem to have much meaning or allegorical significance. I read online that it's supposed to be a metaphor for the troubles of youth and the dog-eat-dog nature of the modern world but, had I not read that online, I doubt I would've figured it out just by watching the film.

Still, as far as thrillers go, it succeeded on most fronts (but didn't excel). 7/10

16. ^^ meh, yeah i didnt even try and look for some type of meaning or concept to the overall film, just watched it for its un-usualness and was not let down.

17. yeah its a crazy movie

18. One of my favorites-I even enjoyed the sequel.

Chiaki Kuriyama (Chigusa,) is 27 now which would have made her ~15/16 when BR was filmed.

Did she ever grow up though :yummy:

[​IMG]

19. Exactly

20. i watched it . i liked it