Battery problem

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by artic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nope! It worked for the most part today, so I don't really know what the deal is. :confused: I think my alternator is going out so I'll have to have that checked out and get some money scrounged up for a new one. Everything works itself out one way or another. :wave:

2. #22 angusbeef, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    An alternator running one bridge short is gonna be a 10 volt system but that would not operate very long...you'd be jumping it everywhere u went.

The truck is a 1992 mystery make model? havent read, if it starts every day no problem??... like I said b4, forget the darned gauge.

Guess see what a load test says..go new opposed to re-manufactured if you really wanna spend your $$ throwing parts at it.. why did the battery and alternator get replaced last august?

Cheers

3. It starts no problem and the gage is at 14. I turn my lights on and it goes to 10, for only as long as I have my lights on. If I turn them off the gage goes back to 14.
    I have a 1992 chevy s10. Starts every time I try, no struggle. I replaced the alternator because my truck wouldn't start one day so we changed it. It started again but I think the battery terminal was loose, so I really didn't need a new alternator. :eek:
    I got a new battery because winter was on the way and mine was from like 2008. It's a little past due. :smoke:

4. forget about the gauge...

earlier you linked it to your stereo being played... now it is when the head lights are turned on..

take a piece of duct tape and cover that fawker up so it never bothers u again :hello::hello::D

5. Well it only shows 10 sometimes, and other times it will be 14 and the back light is bright and not dimmed like it is when it's 10. It only does that when I have my lights on. I said my stereo might be doing it but if I take out the faceplate for the radio it's still at 10.

6. Me
    You
    we're running in circles.

7. the lights take alot of amperage and that is normal. when my lights are on i get some dimming. Just sand down some of your grounds and if you want do The Big Three, it will help some

8. I took my truck into orileys and they tested the alternator for me and it was good with and without the lights on. I think he said 14.7? I told him my problem and he said he didn't have a clue and it might just be a bad gage. I'm thinking its my shitty stereo setup because my subwoofer cuts out at higher volumes. :bongin: Time will tell until I can get a good day off to look through the wires.

9. You never said it cuts out, that can be a few things. try turning down the gain some, it shouldn't cut out at high volume. It may also be a bad ground for the amp, check the resistance with a DMM they are $10 at walley world. and you should also check your wiring from the sub to amp, if the load is lower than the amp is supposed to handle it will try to put out too much power and cut off. try these things first then check back

10. Sounds like the battery.. I know you just replaced it but here's a scenario:

You obviously don't have a lot if stereo or electrical experience. No offense..

You put your stereo in (or had a buddy).. You are rocking the new system turning it up and let it bang.. You decide you want it louder and crank the gain to 100%-- first huge no, no.. This drains the electrical system and battery. Your battery has some ampere hours to hold over your slew of music. After awhile you are using more amperes than the battery has in reserve.. (this is when you'll see voltage drop to around 10-12. You go to autozone and get it tested.. Hey man you need a new battery! After a few minutes you are in your merry way playing the tunes.. Eventually this battery runs out of juice because of improper settings and electrical support for the load. After some period of time, 2weeks~ you have a problem again.. Alternator checks out but you are still getting low amps.. Take the battery out, trickle charge it. If the next morning everything is fine, you know you are draining your battery(somehow- stereo or short circuit)

Then proceed to narrow down the culprit.. This has been a common mistake around here, hope it helps.. If not report back with findings

11. Also capacitors are worthless and wayyyyyyy overpriced for what they are... If you are running a big enough system to worry about supplemental farads.. Go with a second battery, very effective and affordable

12. It's Karma trying to tell you to turn down your stereo...oh, and start saving up for those hearing aids, they're expensive..lol

13. I have a 10 inch man, it can't do any harm. :p It barely moves my rear view. :hello:

14. I have a shitty sony xplode amp that only has one dial. I never really turned it up or down since I put it in but I'll give it a try. I took the amp power wire off my amp and the gage was still messing up even after the subwoofer was completely detached. :confused:

15. Possibly you have a faulty gauge, but since the stereo cuts off try turning the gain down first to the point it doesn't cut out.Then let us know what's up.