Bathtub Batch - 1rst grow CFL

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by docmojoman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. #1 docmojoman, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
    Inspired by gc forum threads on cfl, I decided to give it a shot. I designed my set up to be expandable with multiple cfls. The idea of many individual lights that could be positioned individually for optimum effect seemed like a better idea than one (expensive) major light source. Much of the information
    I gleaned from Kamel's CFL Guide.

The other criteria for my little experiment was to do it as cheap as possible!

I wanted to name this grow with a name that harkens back to the old days of bathtub gin brewing 1) because we share the same spirit of DIY and 2) because I am using a bathtub for my set-up!

The wood I used for this was cannibalized from an old platform bed that I no longer use!

Attached Files:

2. I used extension cords from the Dollar Store and ceramic sockets from Lowe's. By using extension cords and cutting off the receptacle part saved me a few bucks from having to buy separate plugs and bulk wire - not to mention the extra work saved!

Attached Files:

3. This space is basically 2' by 3.5' by 4.5', so I figured a high volume computer fan would be ample for the modest space. I was able to find a 12v 120 cfm from MicroCenter for $6.95. Now, how to regulate that suckka! A variable volt ac transformer from Radio Shack -- cut off the plug -- splice it to the fan and voila! multiple speeds - min 3v up to the max 12v! KA-CHING! Mo munny! Mo munny in my pocket!

Attached Files:

4. Got a little driven with the build and didn't stop to take pics, but basically here is the frame built out with my old platform bed and then lined with two layers of 4 mil yard plastic from Lowe's, fan installed, some wiring and my thermometer/hydrometer with memory from Target(? can't remember).

Notice the light gaskets on either side of the door made from the ground plastic. The door will be over sized and have padding along with black plastic which will form with the gaskets to make the box light proof (pics of door later). Also note the use of cardboard under the staples when holding down the plastic sheet.

Attached Files:

5. I now lined the interior with matte white foam core for overall reflectivity and because it will be easy to use pins to anchor support strings for heavy branches or buds, or lights and what not. Next, I installed a piece of peg board in the back wall - this will be used to support my lighting system (more detail on this later).

Over this I lined the interior with reflective mylar. At my local hydroponics shop I would have had to shell out $40 for mylar so I just went to REI sporting goods and bought an emergency blanket - well what I thought was an emergency blanket. Turned out to be an emergency sleeping bag, but it suited my purpose, I just had to cut it in half.

Note the door is puffy with foam, then black plastic, then mylar!

Attached Files:

6. As I mentioned before, I want my lights to be highly positionable so I have peg board installed behind the mylar. I created my own goose neck light assemblies with cleats that attach to the peg board. The lights are not fully complete yet, but below are some semi-completed. I have yet to finish the reflectors.

Attached Files:

7. Here are some pics with the door in place. I realized that my thermometer/hydrometer needs to be placed inside because although it has a min/max temp memory, it only measures humidity on the "inside" (where you mount the unit is considered inside).

Attached Files:

8. As mentioned earlier, I mounted a peg board behind the mylar in my box. I made goosenecks out of heavy gauge wires taped tightly together. I then attached that to peg board hooks with clamps and epoxy putty. I attached the sockets with hose clamps.

Attached Files:

9. I germinated some seeds a couple of days ago. I've had the seeds for at least 8 years! I also germinated some that I put away earlier this year. The old school seeds did just fine (the big one and the one next to it)!

Attached Files:

10. very nice setup man! love the tub :). i'm interested to see your grow develop as I just completed my first CFL grow. it's a lot of fun, best of luck to you!

11. Thanks bro! Right now I'm having some serious problems with heat! I think the problem is in my intakes - I think I need more volume.

BTW - Last night I was checking out this post where this guy did a computer aided comparison of cfl vs. HPS - check it out! CFL vs. HPS - I know this is just theory, but it does bring up some interesting points.

12. After some experimentation I've found that my heat problem was caused by an obscured exhaust pathway and most importantly too small a passive air intake system. Because I am in an attic, I thought I would exploit the fact that I built my box on top of a cast iron tub by using a para scope intake drawing air from the bottom of the tub (which is usually a few degrees cooler than the ambient temp in the room). Turns out that my intake vent was much too small. I tripled it's capacity by adding two more identical vents.

Two problems with the exhaust vent were 1) that I had left plastic flaps over the fan (as seen in pic) and 2) my exhaust light baffle had too many unnecessary twists and turns in it.

Attached Files:

13. Shit! While I was deliberating about my venting issues, I didn't remember to regulate the temp of my little babies. I was wondering why they weren't making much progress.

Attached Files:

14. A thermal blanket tent and some 60w of xmas lights in a box under my seedlings makes for a perfect nurturing environment for my little babies! The xmas lights were bundled in 3 sections - to increase the temp, I put all sections in the box, to decrease I put in less! It works great!

BTW - I got this idea from all my research on lights cfl vs everything else. When it comes to heat, watts are watts - whether it comes from cfl or incandesent or hps.

Attached Files:

15. Any one have any suggestions about the best set-up with my equipment for my seedlings? Right now I am using 4 24" tubes - 3 daylight & 1 soft white. The lights are positioned 1/2" above my tallest seedling - is that too close?

Also, I am using peat pots and really good soil from my hydro shop. How often and how much water do I use when I water them? Do I add enough water for it to leak out of the bottom? When do I know when to water again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

16. Another question - I have a bunch of cfls lying in wait - when can/should I switch from these tubes to my much stronger cfls?

17. #17 docmojoman, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks to advice from 1on1 and gumdispenser in the Absolute Beginners section, I put my 6 day olds under both T8 tubes and 100w of cfl. The plants seem to luv it!

Attached Files:

18. Noticeable progress with the light change! I will go out tomorrow and pick up a couple more daylight cfls - all I have left are 2700ks.

I also mixed a verry diluted veg formula. I am diluting because I am using FoxFarm soil which I am told you should wait 4 weeks to start feeding. Using Technaflora's "Recipe for Success", I mixed their suggested vegitative formula at 1/8th strength. At the first sign of problems, I will just use plain ph balanced water!

Attached Files:

19. Day 7

Re-arranged my lights for better ventilation and added more cfls. I am now using 3 22w cfls, 2 27w cfls (all daylight), 3 24" T8 daylight tubes, 1 24" T8 2700k. Things seem to be going along nicely.

I do have a few concerns though with the soil ph. I may be tripping, but I do think I might have some issues due to me starting in FFOF straight not mixed and these darn peat pots. I read somewhere that they have a high ph (I'll post the link when I can find it again).

Attached Files:

20. Got super 'noided about the peat pots (see post in absolute beginners) - so I transplanted into soda cans! It seems to be working fine.

One thing about being a pot head and a first time grower in indecision and doubt. My plans have changed so many times its crazy! I was ready to do this grow as a LST - I bought and pre-drilled 5 10" square pots just or the job, but then I came across DrBudGreengenes journal.

Now I've changed my mind again! Now I'm thinking that my flower space will be too big. AAArrrrgggh! Decisions! Confusion! Anticipation!

Plants day 8 20 hours or so after transplant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: