Bass guitar vs. Guitar

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by BongBassed, Oct 16, 2003.

1. I agree I think bass and bass guitar are the same instrument. (as tdot described)

I've been playin bass for years. Love the instrument. Just got turned on to that, probably cause most of my friends play guitar. But it's an awesome instrument.
    I've never seen anybody who plays guitar have the ability to just pick up a bass and start rippin. Look at Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, flea... That's amazing stuff. I'd even challenge a strict guitarist to try to play sublime or marley off the bat.
    Guitar us great, but they're two different instruments who play there own very significant roles in music. The rhythem, the very different techniques and what they focus on... I've heard to often from guitarists that they could probably tear it up on bass but have never seen anyone do it. Both are great instruments don't knock them.

2. To say that one instrument is better than the other is completely ignorant.

3. so you think an accordian is just as good as guitar? lol ...there are lots of instruments better than others....you wouldnt learn to play the souzaphone would you?lol

4. no what they mean is you shouldn't compare the instruments in terms of being "better" than one another, that's just stupid.

5. I've been playing bass for about 2 years now, although I haven't picked it up in about 4 months so it wouldn't suprise me if I don't sound all that good now. Meh.

This thread makes me want to go play. Too bad the 9V battery in the active electronics is dead :(

6. 12 strings, made up of 6 pairs: E, E an octave higher, A, A an octave higher, D, D an octave higher, G, G an ocatve higher, got the pattern yet? no, because the last 2 strings are different, it just goes B, B, E, E, they just have a replica note on their espective paired strings, since the note are high enough by then, just to fill in the sound a bit more.

7. i think comparing bass to guitar is stupid because they serve different purposes in music.

this is also why i think it's bullshit to say bass is easier to learn than guitar. i think learning bass on par with most pop music bass is much easier than being on par with pop guitar since pop music doesn't stray to far from the treble on the mainstage since TV's and radios are so unideal for bass. but, to be an AMAZING bassist is just as challenging as being an amazing guitarist.

8. Ive been playing bass for over 2 years this march, and its not because "guitar is too hard to play", i just love the depth of bass! like when you get that awesome bass line from a big ass amp at an outside concert, and its so powerful it shakes you in your sternum. I prefer bass over guitar because i feel a good bass line is what connects the drums and guitar.

9. yea bass is great. john paul jones was rele good.

10. Guitar and bass are two best friends and are half of what they could be without each other.

11. What does a bass guitarist use for protection??

His personality!