Basics on Nutes

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jennybunny, Oct 24, 2011.

1. I didn't think i seen i sticky on Nutes for beginners. Wondering if someone can chime in and explain a little to me and newer growes on what nutes you need/should use for both stages from sprout to harvest and the Numbers on them what they mean and what you should look for.

2. The numbers represent the percentage of the substance that is Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K), respectively. These are the macronutrients MJ and just about every other plant needs. Don't worry about the numbers themselves but rather about the ratio of the numbers. During veg you want the first number to be equal or higher than the other two, in flower you want it to be lower. MJ also needs micronutrients that are found in most ferts -- calcium, magnesium, boron, copper, sulfur, etc.

3. so if your plant is a spout, should u add nutes? how much? if your plants in a 3g and veg how much? if its in a 4g and budding how much? *Just trying to throw this out there b.c so many people ask and it really doesnt get answered at all.

Only things people know is that its N P K but no1 understands it or how much to use of it and if you should use high numbers or not.

For example, you said dont worry about the numbers but rather the ratio. So why are they higher, should we use higher or lower? why or why not?

4. You use feed with a higher N during veg. This promotes growth during the vegetative stage as the plant uses the nitrogen in generating new plant material. You want a higher P during flowering, as the plants nutrient requirements change because it is in a different stage of development. During flower, they require a higher amount of phosphorous to form the flowers, or buds.

You typically wont give any nutrients until between two weeks and 4 weeks, depending on the soil you use. How much to give depends on what strain you are growing, and what feed you are using. Some strains require more nutes, some require less. It is one of those things that there is no set rule. You will find 100's of different opinions on feeding / watering schedules. When it comes down to it, this is where only experience can help you. You will learn to tell when the plants need food, and when they dont. Personally, I feed every watering, and do water only once every four feeds. No burn so far, although I did have a deficiency problem at the beginning because I was waiting the 3 to 4 weeks recomended on nutes.

As far as pot size, figure one gallon of pot for every foot you want the plant. If you want to grow them three foot, a 3 gallon can work. 4 foot, 4 gallon and so on. Your plants will double or even triple in height once you go to 12/12. If you are doing indoors and limited on height, then use that to determine how long to veg. Want them 3 ft when they finish, flower them at about 1ft. Depending on strain they will most likely finish between 2 and 3 foot tall.

5. Joker, i could kiss you.

6. Ahh no problem helping, I really just restated what toasty said.

7. just a lil more technical for the really high people :bongin: