Basic Setup And Ducting.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MeRliN__36, May 24, 2011.

1. trying to work out before i go ahead with it.

so the space is

14' x 11' i will be using 9' x 10 ' of that for lighting 8 600's and 1 1000 in a square shape with the 1000 in the center.

x x x
    x X x
    x x x

i am trying to figure out the ducting i have a 12" high velocity can fan that i have hooked up to a window box so what is the best way to split the 12" into 3 chains of lights? This would bring fresh air into the hoods and then out of the roof. all hoods are 6".

2. couple pics,.

Attached Files:

3. nice set-up. i would make 3 chains or make the air come in on the 2 outside strings of linghts then combine and run down the middle, but put a good fan at the end, and 2 med fans at the begining of each end, so the air flow wont be to much once combined

4. I have no experience with this many lights, so I was hesitant to post here.

But my only concern is the fact that 6" flex is pretty restrictive. It can handle about 150cfm before it becomes very restrictive and noisy. A comparable 12" inline fan is capable of 1000cfm. Those 3 flex runs would be attempting 333 cfm a piece, over double their reccomened max CFM. However, if you had 9 individual flex runs, they would be well within recommended range at 110 cfm a piece.

What are the dimensions on that filter? If it is large enough, you could connect it to the fan and encase it in round duct with a cap on the end, creating a "filter box". Then run each flex run from each hood to it with takeoff's.

With that setup you will move more air, without noise/restriction, and provide fresh air to each light (so the light at the end isn't being cooled with 100+ degree air)

Hope this helps

5. ok didnt really think of doing that.... well hmm

so the 12 is a Can Fan Max so its 1700CFM and the filter is about 2' long 6" intake i have two of them but i had them to suck air from the room at the end of ea light chain and exhuast it outside but the fan was to strong for them so smell got out and it wasnt as cool as i wanted probably due to passive intake for the room. now new plan would be to take fresh air from my window with the 12" and then push it into the light hoods and then have the air exhuast out the ceiling i do not have any holes cut in the ceiling yet but that is where i would like it to end up so the air never touches the inside of the room and will not be contaminated always stays in the ducting.

im not sure what takeoff's are?
    so my understanding is to build a box big enough to connect all the ducts to it and this would be a filter box and i would connect ea hood to it individually and then exhuast them out the ceiling or the window.

6. This is a takeoff. Get a 6" with the stick on collar, specify round or square duct. You will not need a damper (unless you want them) they may ask.

[​IMG]

But your idea of fresh air sounds much easier, and you do not have to worry about building an airtight filter box.

Use fresh air like you said. 12" round duct(or larger) with a cap on the end. One for your intake one for exhaust. Vent both outside, choose an inconspicuous and hopefully dry and cool spot for your intake air. Separating your intake and exhaust will prevent recirculation of hot air.

Cut holes in the duct with a pair of tin snips, stick the takeoff's on the 12" duct, run 6" flex to each light. Put the exhaust fan at the end of your 12" round exhaust duct and vent outside.

Hope this helps

-Moto