Basic Q on "tea" theory

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 1sttimegrower, Mar 24, 2012.

1. So I just want to know : if I strain half a brewed tea and store that in the fridge for use, can I keep the other half bubbling indefinitely, as long as there's a TON of aeration and as long as I feed the microbes with molasses? IE, can I use that still brewing half a week or two, or even months, later?

2. #2 HappyBuds, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
    No. Accorrding to MicrobeMan's research it's best to start a new batch. You should really check out this post to learn more about what happens as the tea brews.

Teaming with Microbes suggest storing your tea in a refrigerator to slow down metabolic activity but I think MicrobeMan's comment trumps that.
    That should answer it. Don't refrigerator your tea, make it and use it. Start a new batch every time.

3. It's a tricky subject imo.

A fresh batch works better (is more active on a microbe level) but there is no reason why you can not do a perpetual brew. However you won't know how microbially active your tea is, unless you use a microscope.

Best, easiest bet is to just start a fresh batch each time.

4. ^Thanks! That's what I gathered from happy buds' post, and confirmation is golden. I wanted to keep a perpetual going so I don't have to spend too much on ONE tea. I have to brew this every week so I can keep adding it to my hydro, to ward off root rot (I have some plants outdoors in hydro, and I have a feeling they'd be extremely susceptible if I stop tea applications)

Too late for my old batch anyways; it started to smell more by the 4th day (not sulfur or ammonia, but bad) and I wanted to experiment around with teas a bit. Had no idea what I was doing but threw in bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, rock dust, mycos, EWC, and bacillus subtilis (aquashield) - extra reagents from soil coming in hand, haha.
    Smells different from the previous batches of only EWC, mycos, and B.s. and has a different foam, but I guess that's to be expected with different reagents. Can't wait to see this one's affects on my plants (the simpler mix has done amazing stuff; god I love organics)

5. Ist Time -

I have to brew this every week so I can keep adding it to my hydro, to ward off root rot

Or you could can/lose the hydro and get rid of most of your issues with one fell swoop. The hydro/chemical/salt based nutes are killing off any good bacteria you're adding anyhow.

Smells different from the previous batches of only EWC, mycos, and B.s.

I believe that its wasteful to be adding Mycos to a tea. Mycos wont grow in the brew and really needs root contact in order to work properly. AFAIK, it should be dusted directly onto the roots during transplant.

ACT's really should be brewed and used immediately to get the most out of them. The microbes die off if not. Those "perpetual" brews at the grow store? I wouldnt trust them.

Good luck and happy gardening.

jerry.

6. ^ Uh, screw getting off hydro? :p the growth is amazing and its so much simpler than soil. I'm talking hydro as in hydroponics, not liquid nutes. I also grow organic soil, which is easier than BSing around with liquid nutes but it still hard for me.

I have low ppms in my reservoir to make sure the bennies live. And they do, as they killed off the root rot and caused explosive shoot growth.

IDC if mycos doesn't grow in the brew; I add the brew to my reservoir, putting the mycos in contact with the roots eventually. This is actually good news to me, as I didn't want the mycos to be over-present in the tea and lessen the beneficial effects of the other things inside - I don't really need mycos in hydroponics, but I'd rather stick to the recipe that worked @ killing my rot. Though, thanks for your info - I'll be putting less mycos in the teas now; it was really the mycos that would get expensive.