*Basic DIY* Modifying a Stanley Blower for Cooling

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mechanibus, May 11, 2010.

1. It's a pseudonym :rolleyes:

Actual max CFM before adding the holes but after closing the offside vents= 254 +/- 2

I used 6 1" holes instead of the three 1 1/2" holes you used. So I have 4.712 Sq" opening verses your 5.301 Sq". But I didn't have a 1.5" endmill handy and it was easier to get the layout exact in my mill than my drill press. I could have cut the larger hole with a smaller bit, but that seemed like a lot of extra work :smoke:

Besides, my design program indicates a 47% increase in structural rigidity with my layout (not that we know it matters) :D

2. Yeah, I spent a minute trying to find out if it was a comic book hero "real name" like Reed Richards. Actually that's what I thought you might be implying "Mr. Fantastic" (Who was a crazy scientist, is more my point.)

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear someone on here who can drop some fabrication jargon. To boot, it seems you also have (at home!) a mill that can swing a 1.5" end mill- I'm drooling over here thinkin' what kinda Bridgeport or whatever must be lurking in your garage or basement. . .

If you have a lathe that has 6" swing PM me, I need to hire you and your machine. It's not often that Mech drools over the tools of another. Well, only every time I see something I don't have. . .

For doing my holes by hand with a hole saw my wheel runs pretty true, but I have a lot of practice drilling by hand. Sheet metal fab, you know? And sure, it's held up but since all the load on that web is shear, the holes really make zero difference in stiffness, whereas if that web was really some kind of diaphragm or compressive structure in the axis of the wheel's rotation, then indeed we would have taken a lot of the stiffness right out of it.

Too bad I don't know you in real life, I need someone to teach me about machining. Kinda expensive to take up as a hobby. I've got a little AA lathe circa WWII, but the chucks are beat up and new ones with 0 morse taper at the head and tailstock are rare and expensive. I wish I could get that thing to do more that the occasional plastic part.

Anyway glad to have your info about that CFM. The holes apparently make almost 20% difference- I had a feeling that was the thing to do, to let the far side of the blower help out. As it is, I'm sure the "intake side" of the wheel does most of the work.

I invite you to check out my regular thread- you can see a few of the other things I've built if you skim through the pages of it. I'm no master but I'll be happy to help with any questions if I can.

Do you have a grow you'd like to share?

3. rofl gawd Mech, do you need a bib lol
    ;):wave:

4. LOL. No corresponding comic book name that I'm aware of. It is simply mathematically identical to my real name while sharing the first letter of both parts. Since most online acquaintances refer to me as "J R", it fit the bill.

Most of my tooling is setup for personal gunsmithing /auto part fab, but I sent you a PM for more info about your needs. If I have the right gear to manage it, we can work something out.

I would love to share my grow with you fine folks. Unfortunately, I am unable to take pictures of my grows due to my natural paranoia and a preternatural distaste for long stays in confined spaces. Maybe when the laws change:yay:

5. sweet that means ive got everything i need to finish my grow supply list for this year

6. Why has this thread dropped to the bottom and wasn't stickied!? This is the solution to my fan problem. +REP

7. Glad to help, you guys! Post pics of what you did!

8. Nice job Mechanibus!! :hello: I like the cleanliness of it when youre done.

Before I actually saw this tutorial I made my own air cooled hood system using a stanley blower. did it a little different than you did here but get the same effect. I use it to pull air from the tent and then over the light and out the vent hole. A nice cheap and clean alternative to those loud expensive fans/blowers.

Can see how I did it with lots of pics in my journal (in the sig)

Peace
    -DD :smoke::smoke:

9. omg its a horrible day...ive spent so much money getting my box back together and i made a investment in this fan and somehow within 25 mins it burned up.....damn it i ordered it from amazon used but never been outta box my life sucks idk what to do right now. The holes were even no vibrations motor just got super fucking hot

10. would the fan being on its side have anything to do with the motor burning up?

11. More than likely, its not really supposed to be ran like that.

12. Hey man, sorry to hear of those troubles! I hope you can get it returned.

Perhaps not, but it shouldn't have burned up in a half hour. Most of the time sealed bearing motors like that are happy running in any orientation. I personally wouldn't worry about how it was running, and mine hangs from bungies.

Put it back together and send it back. Likely they won't realize it has holes in it, they're going to junk it anyway. A certain percentage of chinese or any manufactured goods fails right away- better QC means higher prices ala apple.

I don't think anything you did to it was the cause. Hope it works out!

13. i ordered a new one not a used one straight from amazon and im just gonna swap the outside layer with motor attached and just send the other one back for refund or another whichever they offer and take what i get happily i think i just had bad luck but im gonna try and place upright just to be sure lol

14. /wrists got my new fan and i managed to strip the fan blade part out attempting to free the locktight....no such luck tried for about 2 hours and decided to return for another AGAIN! AGHH! lol anyway i will have this working one way or the other at this point

15. Hey all. I made one of these a couple months ago and have been using it. It does do a great job sucking air out of my tent but if I have the fan on the outside of the tent it is loud as f**k. Anyone have any good ideas for muffling sound that produced by these stanley blowers

16. put your ban in a box that has insulation.. and make a pipe to pull the air from... like a muffler for a car.. it would be huge, but it would stop the noise

17. I want to do this modification, but is there a way to plug it in once it's up in my attic?

I have nowhere else to put it besides the attic since im growing in my closet... There's a plywood board between the closet and the attic. I suppose a i could cut out a 6" hole in the plywood for the duct and a small hole for the power cord right next to it. However, changing the speed would be a bitch! I would have to lift up the plywood and climb up into my attic each time to access the blower...

Any suggestions on how to make it easier or is that gonna have to do?

18. Putting the fan in an insulated box is a good and common method. Also, you can add some duct to the exhaust, and use insulated duct. All of those things will help. If you still need quieter, look at Panasonic Whisperline whole-house circulators.

What I did, was install an outlet in the ceiling of the grow closet, that had it's own breaker and wire from my panel. My house is rented, so these will come out when I leave. If you have a 6" hole with flex duct going into it, you can easily poke the cord through the side of that hole, or even run it up through the duct!

You shouldn't need to change the speed much. Run it as low as you can, but more airflow won't hurt.

I don't really recommend these, but they do make adapters that screw into a regular socket, that give you an outlet and and a lower socket to put the bulb back in:
    [​IMG]
    That would be ok just for the fans.

Good luck!