*Basic DIY* Modifying a Stanley Blower for Cooling

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mechanibus, May 11, 2010.

1. #81 Marty Mcfly, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeps temps at 75 in a 2x4 closet space w/ a 400w light. THANKS!!!

There is currently no smell because I've got the fans directed the vent which sucks air. But I'm wanting to get a second one and make a carbon scrubber. Does anyone have recommendations on 6" scrubbers? Thank you!

2. hey guys

i found 6 inch flanges at lowes in the home ventilation section. they even have sticky back tape on them so you dont have to glue it on.

i sanded the side of the blower around the hole, riped the paper covering the tape on the flange and droped it on after modifying the internals of the blower unit as instructed. makes a huge difference. way cooler.

also walmarts only going to have fans during the summer. i work at walmart. heaters in winter fans in summer. in the hardware section.

3. Dude, please post a pic or an sku number or model number- or brand name even- Please! We'd all love to see what you found.

4. #86 Mechanibus, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010

Sure, I made a diy fan control a while back, still use it. But here is the question: If you buy the necessary parts, which are a $10-15 fan control, a $5 cord, and a junction box to assemble it in, and you spend $25 and 3 hours fooking with it, why didn't you just buy the ready made on e for $25. . .

If you want to DIY it, I can help though. You'll first want to locate a fan dimmer or speed control. A common dimmer such as is used for an incandescent light will not work, or not for long anyway. This dimmer will say on the package that is for use with a fan.

At HD dimmers like this start around $15 but you can do better in the hardware and "surplus" type places. Or used. They are simple to install, just take your cord, cut one of the two wires and put each cut end to one side of the dimmer or the other, can't do it wrong.

But really, when it's all said and done you can't save enough really- that variable speed control with attached cords is really nice and compact. Many of the cheaper fan controls only give you a low/med/high type setting, like mine.

Feel free to ask anything else about it- Maybe I should do a new DIY that covers attaching a cord to an HD bought fan control- Any interest?

[Edit] Probably not worth it- that link shows you can get it under $20 on ebay free shipping- just buy one- the parts would cost you more and not be as good. I'm actually thinking about replacing mine or getting another. . .

5. Great Post Mech.... Found an open box blower at walmart for 25!

Thank you!

6. Good work mech. I've been using a Stanley blower for years, best fan for the money or even for more money.

I never did this kind of modification to it (and yes, I've seen tutes on other forums about this kind of mod, going back to before '08). My setup for the fan is much more ghetto...

I got a large cardboard box that the fan fits inside of. I cut a round hole on one side and a rectangular hole on the other. The round hole fits the diameter of the end of my grow space's exhaust pipe (6"). I got a second cardboard box, a small rectangular one, that fits perfectly over the output end of the blower, and fashioned that so it is open at two ends. One end goes over the blower output and one fits through the rectangular hole in the big box. So, in effect this smaller box is an extension of the blower's exhaust.

Close up the larger box air-tight and that's pretty much it, ready to run. Not sure if my description is painting a clear picture, so I'll explain a bit more: the blower draws in from it's surrounding environment, so by putting the whole fan inside a sealed box and fitting my grow space's exhaust pipe into one end, I am able to draw up and out of my grow space. By putting the smaller rectangular box over the fan's output and extending that outside of the larger box, I have isolated the fan's input environment from its output, and the output vents to outside the box. Works really well, and doesn't involve any DIY to the fan itself (so no risk of screwing up).

Just another way to skin a cat...

7. how about a picture? a picture is worth a thousand words lol:D

8. $25 later and my tent stays between 65- 79 degrees F. Thanks again Mech

Attached Files:

9. when your right your right I spent the $27.50 lol on eBay ans got the speedster thanks buddy
    :wave:

10. I agree! Please post pics of your stuff guys, we all want to see!

Thank YOU! Glad to help! Did you get that blower in that $25! If so. score!

Yeah, I might be the DIY king but I know when big manufacturing has me licked. Plus my labor actually is worth something.

Also, with speed controls and electrical controls that need to be extremely reliable, you might as well get a quality, purpose built item. These girls are too important to risk!

Modify the hell out of those Lasko blowers, though- works a treat!

11. This is awesome and I plan on making one of these.

Just wondering, I havent been able to find any of these models online on amazon or ebay.

Do you any of you know where to buy one of these or are the Yellow ones the same thing

12. Here is my other modified blower with diy carbon scrubber attached...picked this one up for 25 bucks walmart end of season sale...unfortunately they have no more :(
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Lasko blower on Amazon
    Yes the lasko blower comes in blue or yellow, the yellow stanley model is essentially the same. No need to pay more than $50 for it, like the second one down.

Hey that's one of those self-stick flanges right? Been hoping someone would post a picture.

Great score on that blower, I haunt the Wally's discount aisle but those never made it there at my store. The one blower I did buy there seemed to be the only one they ever had in stock when I looked.

Great job and glad it works for you!

14. yea one of the self sticky flanges 6x4...picked it up at lowes it is a Standex 6" adhesive tab...model number LW296715

15. #97 Individuality, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    Thanks bro.
    If ne one cares I found the exact model here on the Walmart store

Walmart.com: Search Results for "lasko blower"

And +rep for that mod that awesome.

Do you still need the green attachment if you get one of those flanges?

Also just when I was on the subject of fans I came across this Lasko Oscillating Fan Combo

Lasko 19026 Oscillating 36" Tower Fan Tabletop Combo - eBay (item 360304514492 end time Nov-25-10 07:44:16 PST)

Its pretty sweet for 35 bucks you get a 36" Oscillating fan and Another fan that you
    could potentially just clamp anywhere in your tent. I might get this just to help under my scrog.
    Did I mention the sweet 3 speed remote control that it comes with...no more painful getting up to turning the speed up/down.

16. #98 jamesreed, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    Found this thread awhile ago and did the mod. Works great. Thanks Mechanibus. Just to add some info, Lasko makes both their name brand and the Stanley branded fan. With a quick call to their CS#, I found they rate both fans as follows:

Speed / CFM / Watts
    Low / 190 / 58
    Med / 260 / 74
    High / 310 / 90

Actual tested max CFM before your Mod design = 304 +/- 2
    Actual tested max CFM after your Mod design = 293 +/- 2

Will update on CFM after I build and install a carbon filter (have to pick one of the DIY and build it).

*Don't want to get into the test method on an open forum due to identity concerns. Lets just say I employ an environmental systems engineer who is 420 friendly. :smoke:

17. hey man no you will not need that green lid or whatever the hell you call that thing lol...I searched for it at Ace's gave them the part number and everything...they didnt have it so I went with another rubber piece...that blower is attached to my growtube....and then i found the Standex which i knew would work perfect for this blower...same day i found the Standex i managed to find that green lid at lowes outside in the garden center by all the bricks and shit...after toying around with it, I took my rasta cap off to Mechanibus and said to myself...what a bitch to cut this piece lol

18. Great, now if only there was a Lowe's here. . . Thanks for the info!

Thanks man, and like Naughty says below you just need the sticky flange or the green box lid- not both.

I'm very glad you posted this, CFM calculations are very difficult to perform so I'm really glad you posted this. And you're right the Lasko and Stanley blowers are the same item exactly.

One thing I would like to know is if you made the three holes in the wheel- I'd love to see before and after numbers with that step so we can see if it's worth doing.

Please do come back with scrubber numbers- people will be intenesely interested to see how much CFM the blower loses. . .

And hey, if you have identity concerns maybe you shouldn't tell us all your name is James Reed, sheesh. . . (J/K man)

I would not have used the green box lid if I had known of the self-sticky flanges. That item makes this mod a ten-second deal. I recommend that folks forget about drilling the holes in the web of the blower wheel anyway, probably not worth the risk.

Thanks for the contribution.