Basement grow ventilation question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by lime17857, Nov 6, 2018.

1. I thought about plywood, but the window is a little tricky. It doesn't have a sash to move up and down and fit snuggly to the perimeter. It's a basement window, it folds inward from the top to open. I was able to completely pull the window out with it's frame. The blueboard is the thicker quality and fits pretty well. Also, from the outside, the window is one of those well windows, recessed into the ground, so there shouldn't be any elements directly onto my setup.

• Like Like x 1
  2. My situation is similar but I use mylar partitions instead of a tent. I cut a 20x20"square hole in the door to the room, inserted and taped in a 20x20" air exchange filter. I added a 20x20" louvered cover and use a 20 inch box fan to push air from the larger basement area. I exhaust thru a 4 inch inline with carbon filter mounted in far upper corner of the room vented to the larger basement area with a large cardboard box at the end of exhaust with another 20x20 air exchanger filter to catch excess carbon. Not a lot of air flow but is always flowing thru growing area. I usually only have a couple quarter pounders going so it doesn't take me too much. I like it because it keeps the heat and cool in the house not pump $$ outdoors.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ive never had a scrubber remove 100% of smell in final stanky flower, it knocks it down but a non smoker/user will smell it.

And if the relative humidity gets anywhere above about 70% I find that the efficiency of the carbon scrubbers drops dramatically

Bout the last 3 weeks of flower, and then of course when they hang to dry for a week or so is when my place is the most vulnerable to detection by smell.

Plan for that too, they stink more when they are drying than they ever will while growing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thank you for answering my original question.
    Thank you for answering my original question.

• Like Like x 2
  5. #25 PopeyeSpinach, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    I grow in my garage, which is basically 1/2 my basement. I have a 32 by 46 closet with a 5 gallon bucket carbon scrubber.

If I know I have people coming over I shut the scrubber off in the closet and I turn an ozone generator on in the garage for 30 mins, spray air freshener the house and then light candles.

Then once they leave I open the garage door to air out the garage. And then I turn my scrubber back on. This is for people stopping by for a couple hours type of thing. The reason for shutting the scrubber off is you really don't want your plants breathing ozone.

If i Turn off the scrubber it seems to isolate the room well enough from the ozone so that doesn't affect the plants. I use quantum board lights that don't get too warm so I'm able to get away with this for a few hours with no ill effects.

A month ago, I had a party with about 60 people here, even had an in uniform cop that happen to be friends with somebody that was here and came by on his lunch break to have some barbecue. No one smelled anything!!

That day I kept the scrubber running, and had the ozone generator set on a timer to come on for 30 minutes every 2 hours. Due to the size of the party I locked the garage down the day before and couldn't get back into it until the day after because people were coming the next morning to pick up things like the keg, tables, chairs, crock pots etc....

When I got back in there the next day my plants indeed had lost quite a bit of their smell, but it was a risk I was willing to take because I could not be detected. And now looking at the unexpected house guest that came by to eat, I'm really glad I did.

BUT, I'm harvesting the rest of those plants in about 5 hours. And I can assure you they are stanky danky again.... took the top colas about 5 days ago, I'm currently vaping some in my pax right now and it tastes great.

Long story short, get in ozone generator, they have them on Amazon. I think I paid about 80 bucks for mine.

But use it cautiously with your plants as it will remove smell, and you can burn your plants with too much ozone. But there's nothing, not ona gel, not candles, not a carbon scrubber that will knock down 100% of smell. but an ozone generator will.

I have mine plugged into an outlet that's controlled by a light switch inside the house. So if I have somebody knocking on the door unexpected I can kick it on.

But do some research into ozone and ozone generators before you just go Click buy. You don't want to breathe much of it, and it will pull the smell out of anything. But it breaks down very rapidly, and i believe it's heavier than air. so used in the basement it would be safer, so long as it wasn't occupied. But like I said, do some research and decide if it's for you...

P.s. in case you're wondering why anyone would have a party at their house when they have a grow going on, it wasn't my idea.....I'm married lol

6. Here's my really quick story. Retired federal officer of one sort or another, 32 years. Strict upbringing, military, government service... many piss tests. Never tired weed. Now I'm retired, love it, want it, gonna grow it. Totally new to me, the whole thing. Using message boards, youtube for information.

Knew nothing of using ozone (sparingly) to mask odors. I will heed your advice and do my homework before clicking "buy".

I can picture the basement garage and I'm wondering is your grow area under the bedrooms/bathroom of the house or living room/kitchen/dining area?

My tent will be under the dining/living room/kitchen area and I won't have a large garage door to air out the room. The basement ceiling is drywall, but I think this is going to be a problem even with ozone. Thoughts?

7. Bedrooms above, no smell in house, no smell in finished basement.

Smell will seep into bedroom when I shut the scrubber off.

Smell will seep out of garage door when humidity is real high and in in last month of flower. My Amazon delivery people have to know. But we're so close to Legal legal here nobody really does anything about it anymore anyway.

I've been considering putting a small bathroom fan in my garage to have a slight negative pressure blowing outside from the garage. I could run it all the way up to the Attic and vent it out my roof. I think I my case a little negative pressure may take care of the slight smell that seeps out the garage door

8. Yeah, my concern is smell. I jumped into this without fully researching. Turns out the penalty in PA is doubled for anyone growing within 1,000 feet of a school. I'm typing this as I look out my home office window of a brand new school. Fuck! More than an ounce is 2-4 year state prison sentence and something like a $5,000 fine.

My theory was I'd probably get a hard slap on the wrist if I got caught. With a school nearby, I'll get time.

Not sure I should try this. I think smell is really risky.

Dunno, on the fence....

Haha, just thought what an interesting poll this would make for the moderators. What to do, what to do...

9. the ozone gen. is an option, but running 2 good carbon filters will eliminate smell also,
    one in the top of your tent scrubbing the exhaust air and another in the room just circulating the room air,
    these 2 filters running 23 hrs a day (staggered off times) will completely eliminate all smell.!
    with your a/c unit blowing out the window and sucking fresh air into the room u would be good to go.!!

my old 6" Huricane HO inline out pulls my Can-66 filter, a 400 cfm filter with a 600 cfm fan on it,
    so i use a 4" fan/filter in the garage that comes on for 2 hrs about 3 times a day and this picks up the slack of the overloaded 6" filter.!

I think u will be fine if u take the extra steps to control smell and light leaks,
    hell man, prison time would be rough, but I would loose my kid if I get caught, and she could be in foster care because of my dumb ass, this is why my grow is super stealth and my friends at GC r the only ones that know about it.!!

10. My setup seems to be working just fine this way. I'm not even going to bother exhausting my veg tent.

Only thing is my RH is constantly 20% or lower with the lights and fans on. It gets humid during lights out especially if they've been watered recently. This is my first grow so I haven't ran this setup in the summer yet. But by summertime I'm hoping to replace the mh/hps with QBs. Right now it never gets above 75 with the lights on and hovers in the mid 60's when everything is off. I keep my thermostat at 65 during the winter.

Attached Files:

11. That looks very clean, nice job. I've decided not to grow. The risk is too great living so close to a school.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Might not be a bad choice. If I would have known I would have as much trouble hiding smell as I do, I probably wouldn't be growing myself. And after this last stanky Sour Diesel I just did......well, if we weren't going totally legal next year I might hang it up for a while.

But the new governor and speaker of the house here have stated that they want to legalize it as soon as possible, as well as expunge the record of anyone with a marijuana violation.... so I'm just kind of hoping that they would just let it go at this point anyway

13. I was a prison guard for 24 years, I can't do time. I'd hate to run into any familiar faces.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. check out "ne1cangrow" on youtube... pretty awesome setup. i'd replicate it and just throw an extra carbon filter inside the grow closet to essentially eliminate smell... but there are some pretty nice carbon filters that if used in a set up like this, would essentially eliminate smell by themselves.

15. Yes, that's good advice. I live in a quite wet climate so I've decided to buy AC and dehumidifier for good conditions. And I also use carbon filters for odor control.