basement grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dr. Dankness, Sep 19, 2010.

1. so i have just moved into a house with a basement. my plan is to use a room in the basement for growing.... there is a 3x1.5ft closet area i wanna use for vegging and then i wanna do a 3x3 or something equivalent for flowering.....thinkin 250 watt hps for that. still planning tho.... i have a friend that is gonna get me some clones..... in the veg area i have already rigged up 8 23 watt cfls which seems like itll do the job good any suggestios or questions are welcome..... i will put pics up once i get my computer back.

2. today i was at home depot and saw the have 65 watt cfl..... in 2700k for 15 bucks. they are 65 actual watts. i was thinkin maybe two of those and a 150 watt hps....? but im not sure.... what should i do to make it worth my time.

3. #3 Tihspeed, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    lowes has bulk packs of both the 2700k and the 5700k..... their 26 watts 100w replacements...1500 lumens

with cfl's the larger the cfl the less efficient they become... so if your looking to save a little cash use the smaller one's...

or you can get a single 125 w Red bulb and 125w blue bulb.... both are about 60 bucks a piece... but the lumens is way crazier.....7500 lumens

well its not way crazier...

choices, choices....

4. ok so im pretty sure im gonna do a 3x3 flowering area..... wood framed with black light proof plastic and some mylar on the inside. i havent decided on a light yet tho.

5. budget... solves all questions... post a budget and people will tell you what to get.. and you might need a larger fan... so once you have the budget let us know

6. budget i wud like to keep as low as possible.... prolly 500 max.... hopefully more like 250 tho

7. alright... almost have the budget money sorted out... gotta pic a number...

and a list of things you already own... i mean a ph pen is as cheap as 40 but i would suggest the 100 dollar model...

hydro? and for your money your going to have to go CFL.....

sorry bro just gotta bite the bullet there

your going to have to get a premade cab from like walmart or something... or purchase some mylar and build a frame outa wood(my fav)

throw in some soil or water and throw in your light.... and turn it on...

more can be determined when you get you final budget in line... and you choose a grow space(LxWxH)... but with your budget this is a real do it yourselfer..... unless you find some awesome deals

8. well i have alota shit already and a do it urself isnt a problem.... ive got tools and the mechanical skills to do about anything needed. i want flowering to be 3x3.... all i realy need is a flowering light and fan and possibly carbon filter. i have everything i need for a wood frame tent with lightproof plastic.... its black tho but totally lightproof. i need soil and some good nutes and i oughta be good. i want to go organic with the nutes tho and need some advice there also. preferably easy to get nutes..... home depot or walmart or something. ... but i can travle to get what i need if possible. the room i am using does have a window..... i am probably gonna board it up and put a dryer vent on there to exhaust out of..... and will intake from outside of the grow room in the basement.

9. how cool is the air in the basement?

if your going to use plastic or some type of tarp... you should really look into if it flammable...

read the small tag that comes with it and see if it says it is.... if it is.. your gonna have to pic something else...

we need the dimensions of your grow space... L x W x H

a list of the things you already have...

A BUDGET... FIRM BUDGET

10. the air in the basement is plenty cool.... on a 107 degree day it was only 74 in the basement. The plastic i have is just plain black plastic.... like 3.5 mil or something. i have used it before at my moms and it worked great. i don't believe it is fire resistant, but it don't melt easy and it takes a lil bit to catch with a lighter, so im not worried there. my grow space is again 3x3 with a maximum hieght of 7 feet. i already have a ph test, just drops for water. But i don't feel i need a digital one if using organic nutrients, if organically grown right i feel the ph shouldn't need to be messed with except to test the water used. I plan on growing soil, but have been thinking hard on the hydro idea, that would just be a budget buster tho. I also have 3 gallon grow bags, several digital and analog temp and humidity gauges. I have fans and 8 23 actual watt cfls in the veg chamber. I have pots to start in, I have spray bottles, scissors, ect. I have an air pump that i oxygenate the water with before watering, don't know if it helps but i read it somewhere and it hasn't seemed to hurt at all. i think all i really need is some good organic nutes, a decent light, and a good fan.... and possibly a carbon filter. I may have missed some things, if so lemme know. I'm not lookin to harvest pounds or anything... i am just looking to sustain my wife and i till next harvest. my budget is 500 max, so anything up to 500 i can handle. I know that it won't be the best setup but if i could get 8-10 ounces atleast i would be happy. Maybe i overshooting myself..... i uno.

11. do it on the cheap then.. save some cash...

build your own filter.. its way cheaper like thirty bucks..

use soil.. you said you already made that work...

make sure you box is lightproof... tape it up or paint it if you have to

3 x 3 x 7= 63 cubic feet

x 3 for air movement=189 CFM rated fan

x 2 for carbon filter= 378 CFM rated fan

this is a six inch inline fan... and get a fan speed selector..... with your cool temps you might be able to get the four inch, but its super loud anyway... and they suck donkey dicks

If you don't have your cfl's you can just build a super diy cfl holder out of power strips and light socket plugs....

you should be set to go unless you wanna invest in a ph pen, or a larger light....

yield is determined by wattage of light used(among other things).. so more light equals more bud... so you can never have too much light, but you can have too much heat.. but it seems you might not have that problem.. so stepping up to a larger light only helps you... but your gonna def need that large fan if you get a bigger light.. so i planned ahead for you

12. i am doin soil, and i do plan on building anything i can. I already have CFL's for the veg room..... i like their ability to make a plant with very close internodes. For flowering i would like to go with an HPS, cuz i know it helps ur flowering cycle alot. I don't know weather to go with 250w or 400w. I saw somewhere that a 250's max area is about 3x3, and that the 400 would work better for a 3x3. i could make the filter very easily but my problem is i haven't been able to find actived carbon anywhere in town. Our pet shop is fuckin worthless, and someone on here told me walmart carries it but they don't have it here at my walmart..... so i uno. I am gonna make the tent outta that black plastic, one solid peice so light leaks shouldn't be a problem. i have my computer back now so i am gonna try to find the camera and get some pics up, but be patient like i said we just moved in here so things are still a little hard to find.

13. Local hydro stores sell it

or just order it online. Now that you have the computer. Tons of people have carbon

walmart usually carrys it. You must be in the boonies of your pet stores and walmart don't have it

14. 400w in a 3x3 space is your max,i have used a 400 in a space that size. i did have to put side lighting in due to canopy penatration and plants on the outside tending to lean towards the light making crowding issues i did have five plants so i was pushing space to start with. just somthing to watch for.

goo:smoke:d growing