Basalt rock dust - is this what I should expect?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Cthulhu23, Jul 14, 2020.

1. So I got a small bag of basalt rock dust for my next mix and this is what came in the mail:

[​IMG]

I have only used Azomite thus far, which has been a complete powder. So I'm a bit surprised that what was advertised as "rock dust" seems like more of a mix of dust and gravel. Is this what I should expect from rock dusts that aren't Azomite?

2. No way where did you get it?

3. Got it through Amazon, but it's BuildASoil branded.

4. 69C065A7-CA04-4F47-94A3-4D635AD46C71.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I would send them that pick and ask wtf

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks, @Taoist Farmer. And GRRRR. This makes me angry that I got gravel instead of dust.

7. Is that pic of Brix, or microfine?

8. I think it is micro fines. Not 100% sure even so Brit blend shouldn’t look like it was shoveled from my drive way

• Like Like x 1
  9. Check out that link I only use them, high quality and best price

• Like Like x 1
  10. well why is yours green? or why is mine dark gray? a little stoned but freakin out a bit

11. It’s more greyish in person

12. That is not rock DUST. Rock dust should have the consistency of flour with no discernable particles bigger than a grain of dust.
    If this was sold as "rock dust" its a scam.

Edit: it does look like basalt though, basalt is a uniform gray in color.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Here is a mound of basalt rock dust and what it should look like. This is where I get mine, from a basalt quarry in my area. Notice how the particles are small enough to blow in the wind.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. #16 Chunk, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    In all fairness, the picture in the Amazon listing shows pretty close to what you got.

[​IMG]

Try to find the basaltic rock dust manufactured by Cascade Minerals if you can.

• Like Like x 4
  15. While I agree, Chunk, I made the assumption that what I got would be more dust, less gravel. And as someone whose never ordered this before I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect! Lesson learned...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. If I could make a suggestion, when you order next, try a small bag of Greensand. Used granite for years since the whole region seems to be solid granite. But it weathers so slowly as does basalt.

Jersey Greensand is more of a sandstone and weathers much faster, relatively. No RD is really fast, except, perhaps Azomite (which is actually a clay), but, being marine based it is very rich in K and compliments kelp meal as a slow release.

Google Greensand and get way more information than I can provide, especially the benefits it brings to the table.

HTH
    Wet

• Like Like x 3
  17. Thanks for the advice, Wet! Is greensand a good substitute for rock dust, in your opinion? Or do you still recommend rock dust in addition?

I like the idea of “small bags” as I do not have a large grow and the 30-50lb bags of rock dust are SO much more than I need!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  18. @Cthulhu23 I'm sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your purchase. We do offer multiple grades of basalt from multiple manufactures to suit everyone's needs. We carry the basalt you purchased for two reasons. One, it's local and two this texture works best when building soil due to the different particle sizes. We do offer the brix blend basalt from Rock Dust Local and a glacial rock dust, both of which are powdered. Customer service is always a priority for us so please send us an email at support@buildasoil.com and we can switch you out to a different product or provide a refund.

• Like Like x 6