Bark in Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeedMan4201998, Jul 18, 2019.

1. I recently purchased 2 bags of Soil that were on clearance at my local Dollar Store. 14 Quart bags were $2.50 each so I couldn't pass it up, it, it has a large amount of bark in it. I was thinking about straining the bark out and keeping the fine material. Should I just leave it as is or try and separate it? I would say it's at least 40% bark chips.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. That bark is filler material and it does help with drainage but thats alot....i dont think it'll matter if u took it out maybe leave some add some perlite tho if needed

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

3. That type of soil is very good for perennials, because it breaks down slowly, with minimal drain on Nitrogen. A good cheap mix is a bag of hardwood mulch with a bag of peat, and a bag of perlite. You can grow pot for a long time in that mix if you add a balanced fertilizer. Indoors for a few months, the bark is not of much use, but I would not try to remove it. I think you will find that soil with the bark will improve over time, and you could use it as a filler for other needed amendments, namely peat and perlite.