Barefoot Organics

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by barefoottoker, Nov 5, 2010.

1. So the new and improved grow box is operational. I'm still working out some kinks with the ventilation system and there are still quite a few light leaks. The drip watering system has yet to be installed. That being said....

...it works!!!! :hello::hello::hello:

The Barefoot Organics VScrOG (vertical screen of green)

463W CFL [(2)65W; (3)42W; (9)23W]
    133 CFM Scythe Kaze 120mm exhaust (no scrubber, yet...)

6" intake from bedroom
    3" exhaust to bathroom

6 EARLY GIRL bagseed (only 4 once I move the fifth pot) growing in Kellog Patio Plus soil w/ added perlite. Smart Pot #2 containers.

Espoma Tomato Tone fertilizer just added last night for the first time.

Right now the temperature is hovering just above 90 :(:confused::( due to the design of the box. You'll see in about thirty seconds when I add the pr0n. :D

PS there will be a handy how to guide in the DIY section. It ain't perfect, but it works. :smoke:

2. Pictures

Attached Files:

3. Additional pics.

Attached Files:

4. I'm subbing! I'd like to see where this goes:D

Could you maybe post more pictures that better show your grow box design? I'd love you see it:smoke:

5. i second dr neko... pics of the cab and vertical scrog

6. add another fan. leave the lights. more passive intake holes

7. #7 Loki7, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    I hate to be a downer, but I don't think your vertical grow isn't going to do well... and I'll tell you why.

Scrogging and other LST methods have really one purpose, to make sure there is no "main" branch/cola, so the plant treats all the branches as a "main" branch/cola... By tying the branches down, the plant doesn't get the signals that one branch is dominant.

Your Vertical Scrog isn't going to have that effect... so you'll get one main cola per plant and the rest will be popcorn nugs... Still, you should do it and document the grow, it can still grow you some buds.

-Loki

8. I don't think I'm properly conveying how the plants will be 'threaded' into the screen. I've seen it done a few times before with good results. Basically, I'll be forcing the plant down and forward towards the light similar to LST. Then as the additional branches develop, I'll thread them through the next available screen hole.

Ah, part of the problem is I don't have the vertical screen together PERIOD! :p It really makes sense when there are pictures! Sorry guys, of course it's not clear.

I need to do some touchups as my camera really crapped out on the pics and they're low quality. Expect them tomorrow morning.

And that will drop the temps 10 degrees you think? So I'll have two 3" fans venting out and 12" of intake?

9. Update:

I've concluded that my system is venting better than I think it is. The shitty thermometer said it's 100 degrees and the air coming out of the exhaust is cool to the touch. :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

I figure it's probably mid to low 80s in there.

Alice started her training today. I'm a little concerned though as when I was installing the screen her main stem got squashed. No sign of damage but I thought I saw a droopy leaf. Maybe it's just my imagination.

You can better see how the plants will be trained through the screen. As she grows towards the light I'll pull her back up through. Based on what I've seen so far, they LOVE growing towards the light.

I also did a little trimming on all the girls.

Marie lost two sad looking leaves and Alice lost about four young fan leaves severely damages by the mites. They were crispy on the edges and turning yellow. I saw some more mites this morning. Bastards.

Attached Files:

10. More.

Attached Files:

11. Looks pretty good, things are looking up!:smoke:

So you're just using a rubbermaid box? How big is it? Haha, I just realized thats what it is!

12. About 3'x3'x2'. 55 gallon I think. $16.99 at target.

13. Sweet, thanks for responding man:) +rep

14. Updates:

Alice is well into her training. I'm removing ANY and ALL fan leaves that block the bud sites and or off-shoot branches. She's responding incredibly well and recovering from the trimming nicely.

I also removed any leaf that showed spider mite damage visible from 2' away (the height of my box).

There was a two day period this weekend in which she was stunted and not growing at all (worried me) but since then, I'd say some of the secondary branches have grown more than an inch!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :hello:

Hooray Alice!

-----
    Lisa began training on Sat. I did some emergency trimming on two very damaged leaves (mites) at the base of her stem. They were yellow and brown so I cut them off. Now, she has two more yellow leaves... :(:(:( The rest of her growth looks ok but what's happening?
    -----

Marie also endured some emergency trimming at the same time; same yellowed leaves but the difference being she's recovered fully.
    -----

The remaining plants are somewhere between survival and death. I don't name the plants until they're old enough to talk :p:smoking::smoking::smoking: but as you can see, the likelihood that they'll make it is slim.

Perlite test plant #1 - the dead one - was looking great...until I covered her in perlite. In two days she keeled over, dry as my ex-gf.

I transplanted a second sprout to the perlite to see what would happen, and she's beginning to show signs off damage. It almost looks like they're drying out. Here's my guess:

The seedlings had root systems just beneath the surface. Perlite, being porous absorbs any and all water it's in contact with. Greater than 1" below, the soil is moist. Perfectly moist.

1" and above?

Bone dry.

Since the root system is so shallow, the perlite is absorbing the moisture before it reaches the girls.

But why didn't the pumice do the same thing? Well, perhaps because Alice has a rather massive root system (softball-sized) and much deeper than the perlite test. Since the roots are so much deeper, she's able to absorb more water.

I lowered the depth of plant #2 in the perlite test so we'll see how that goes. My only other explanation is that the perlite is buffering the ph in the wrong direction. Any help?

Attached Files:

15. Hey gang,
    The pictures are pretty self-explanatory. I'm really worried. :(:(:(

Look how extreme the yellowing is.

Ph is roughly 6.5 to 7.
    I'm using LA city water right now.

Attached Files:

16. hey man crazy experiments going on! the sunflower seeds are supposed to do what? im sorry if you explained...kinda skimmed through...what else does your soil make up? im thinking salt buildup might be a culprit....

17. Experimenting with sunflower seed shells as a soil topper like mulch. My buddies GF eats them like candy so we have bags of the shells. I tried it outside and it protected the soil from drying out. I'm seeing how it works indoors.

Soil:
    Kellog Patio Plus

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lspScFHbEbo]YouTube - Kellogg Patio Plus[/ame]

Nutes:
    Bio tone starter plus
    All Natural Organic Plant Food with Bio-tone Microbes

Tomato tone
    All Natural Organic Plant Food for Organic Tomato Care

Can you get salt buildups this soon with an organic grow? I've only fertilized once w/ the tomato tone.

Attached Files:

18. no need to ask if they were rinsed were they? and what is you soil makeup?

19. Rinsed? How do you mean? I used a 1/4 dose and flooded with water to make sure not to burn the ladies.

I have a feeling it's water related.

Lately, my tap has been smelling funny, almost excessively chlorinated and bleach-like. Like citrus-scented clorox. I know it ain't in my head because I've got one sensitive nose. The plants began yellowing not terribly long after I noticed the smell.

I don't know the soil makeup. Kellog Patio Plus is a organic blend recommended as a cheaper alternative to FFO and others. Can't find a website but I included a photo for reference.

Yes, my cat likes to hang out in the bag.

Attached Files:

20. are you letting the water set out over night before use to let the chlorine evaporate? i tend to bubble my tap for a couple of hours before use...and rinsed...meaning washed the sunflower husk extremely well...high salt content...could have detrimental effects against your plants at all ages...