Baptism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Hilikus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. #1 Hilikus, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    My parents are both agnostic and never considered getting me baptized to be a big deal. By the time my mom decided I should get baptized, I'd decided that I don't believe in God and refused.

My boyfriend and his friends think that anyone who has reached confirmation (is that supposed to be capitalized?) can baptize someone. If this is true, I wouldn't mind being baptized because I don't agree with the institution of the church but this wouldn't involve a church at all because they could do it. Plus my mother has been bothering me to get baptized and to be honest I'm uncomfortable telling people that I'm not allowed to take communion, get married in a church, etc because I have not been baptized.

I don't think it's true that anyone who has reached confirmation can baptize someone; it sounds silly to me. What do you guys think?

2. I dont think it is true either. On the marriage thing, did you want to get married in a catholic church? I am protestant, my wife is agnostic. We got married at my church. Probably 80 percent of protestant churchs dont do the whole catholic thing with marriage and communion. Yeah you dont have to be baptized for communion at my church either, because it is the Lords table and all who are willing may join.

3. That's so chill and awesome lol. I don't particularly want to get married in a church... I'm only 18, so I'm not getting married anytime soon, but my boyfriend and I have been going out for 1.5 years and it got me to thinking that if, hypothetically, we got married and I never got baptized, I'd have to explain to his family why we couldn't get married in a church but his family is strict Catholic and would probably look down on that no matter how much they like me. Even if my boyfriend and I don't last that long, there's a very good chance that whoever I end up with will put me in the same situation.

4. #4 pavlakos, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
    umm, if youre not a practicing christian (or a christian in general) then you probably shouldnt get baptized.

its up to you though..

edit: you really shouldnt people put you in a position like that. your boyfriend is a big boy(i hope) and should be able to be man enough to his folks and say, yo my girl isnt baptized and aint catholic, whaddup?

dont get baptized for someone elses approval basically.

5. #5 DemonChild, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
    You can only baptized by a priest in any christian faith. But Being baptized Catholic at any age past 5 is a hassle and a half. you have a lot of study to go through before you turn 18 (I know you are past that age, but it's the standard age of Confirmation) and undergo Confirmation. You will be pressured to go through that after you are baptized. And you must be a Confirmed Catholic before you could get married in their Church. So yeah, unless you mean it don't waste your time.

6. Good point, nevermind then :)

7. Wait, so your parents are agnostic catholics?

8. My parents are agnostic, my mom wants me baptised because she "thinks it would be nice" to do it for my grandma because she's hardcore Catholic.

9. I believe that whatever a person believes to be true, IS true. Afterall, that's all any faith-based religion is anyway....since there is NO proof, and everyone thinks their religion is the one true religion. I've never agreed with the teachings of ANY church 100%....