Banning religion from schools violates seperation of church and state

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MichiganPatient, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Unless it's a religious school I don't think so. As a matter of fact removing religion from public schools which are State funded would enforce that separation.

JG

2. #5 blazedandcrazed, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    by that logic the act of separating church and state violates the separation of church and state

so...your not really making a valid point

3. Science is the new church.

4. For truth.

We need a separation of science and state now, IMO.

Edit: While maintaining separation of Church and state.

5. By the government intervening and not allowing any form of religion practice to take place, that violates seperation of church and state

6. Is enforcement a violation? If we enforce the right to freedom of speech, do we infringe on it simultaneously?

7. thats what i was trying to say. the act of the government defending your freedoms will infringe on your freedoms. you just gotta make sure they defend and infringe on correct ones.

8. But who gets to decide which are the "correct " ones as you say

9. If you're talking about the separation of church and state, I assume that the most obvious reference is to the Bill of Rights?

10. ideally the lawmakers as elected by the people. if you disagree with that basic principle you might want to check out some of the anarchy threads

11. It is true that lawmakers are elected by the 'mob'...er people. But this doesn't necessarily mean they represent those same people who elected them, as they should. We musn't forget these politicians are people with their own perspectives, views, philosophies, beliefs and agendas (who are also influenced by lobbyists and special-interests) who are now in a position of some coercive power over the very same masses which put them in office, in the case of politicians who are elected to office. Then there's also other bureaucrats, agencies and the like who have direct influence over policy and law who are not elected by the people.

12. This makes me sad because it makes me realize how much evangelical, right-wing christians have done to completely destroy the good name of Christianity. I consider myself a Christian (recovering Catholic) and I have no problem w/science. Science and religion are not opposites - crazy Christians just make it seem that way :(

13. How many "crazy Christians" do you know that "dont beleive in science". Thats just an atheist/liberal myth spread to make people hate republicans. Im a Christian, and i "believe in Science". I just am aware of that the fact that the bible was written by man so you cant take everything for gods word.

14. There are many Christians that deny evolution because of the Genesis.

15. Its easy for me to make generic claims with out any examples like you just did.

There are many atheist who like to eat aborted fetuses , its because they dont find anything wrong with abortion"

see how that works

16. Source: On Darwin's 200th Birthday, Americans Still Divided About Evolution - Pew Research Center
    According to a 2005 Pew Research Center poll, 70 percent of evangelical Christians believe that living beings have always existed in their present form, compared with 32 percent of Protestants and 31 percent of Catholics. Politically, 60 percent of Republicans are creationists, whereas only 11 percent accept evolution, compared with 29 percent of Democrats who are creationists and 44 percent who accept evolution. A 2005 Harris Poll found that 63 percent of liberals but only 37 percent of conservatives believe that humans and apes have a common ancestry. What these figures confirm for us is that there are religious and political reasons for rejecting evolution. Can one be a conservative Christian and a Darwinian? Yes. Here's how.

17. I personally know many people including friends of mine who don't believe in evolution because of what is written in Genesis. How many people do you personally know who eat aborted fetuses?

But who creates the curriculum that is taught in public schools? The board of education who works for the local government. It is the government workers who decide if religion should be taught. If they chose to teach it, doesn't that violate separation of church and state? If the two choices are to ban religion or teach religion, which do you think violates the separation more?