Banana Peels for (non)Feminized Seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by r2khimself, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I heard somewhere that if you have some bagseed, or if you didn't buy femmed seeds, then you can use banana peels and place them in a ziploc bag to increase the odds of your seeds being female.

As I'm typing this and thinking about it in my head, it just sounds like some type of tall grower's tale :p But, I have heard that it does help.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning my first guerrilla grow for the next year and I have a lot of bagseed that I've been collecting. I plan on buying some femmed seeds later on but as far as preparation goes, I'd like to get any kind of edge I can.

Thanks!

2. Thanks for the info, mad4reef. Very interesting stuff. I may try it anyway since I have that bagseed.

3. The banana peels emit ethylene gas, which has been shown to alter gender in certain plants. However, those are plants for which gender is not genetically pre-determined. MJ is a different type of plant, gender is genetically pre-determined, so the banana peel trick doesn't work on MJ.