Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bamboo bong

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by blitzkriegbop92, Feb 28, 2006.

1. I am going to make a bong and I am think of making it out of bamboo but I need to know of something to spray on it so it wont rot or something like that

2. I'd like to know the answer to this question also.

3. I've been working on place to build a 3-foot bamboo bong for that last couple months, i'm a big fan of them.

Like it or not, all wood products have a limited life. There are a couple products which you could possibly coat it with, but im not sure how you'd coat it properly.

The best such material would probably be an epoxy or silicone, as they're entirley water resistant, have incredibly long endurance and reasonably non-toxic. Both would be really hard to use though. because they're really thick and viscious.

I'd say just make the bong and don't worry. it'll last you longer than any glass (before it breaks, it's usually inevitable) or even acrylic before any kind of rot starts to really take hold; bamboo is very resistant to wet rot.

4. my friend told me a good way to water proof the inside of the bamboo
    take some elmer non-toxic glue and mix it with water then put it in the bamboo and move it around so it gets all over the inside then pour the water out

5. I actually bought a bamboo bong from GC. The inside does not appear to be stained or coated with anything. The outside appears to have basically black paint on it.

Thus far it still works well except that I occasionally have to run hot water through the stem to unclog the shit in there so I can keep hitting it. The wood itself seems fine. I doubt you'd have anything to worry about, but if you really want it to look nice I'd sand it down really well and put some sort of water proof seal on it. Make sure it gets plenty of air, space, and time to dry. Also might want to look for a seal that isn't flameable.

6. Dude, i think one of the things most people find appealing about bamboo bongs is the fact that they feel so natural. I wouldn't suggest coating it with any kind of finish or sealant because it will most likely affect the taste negatively. Bamboo bongs offer a natural smokey wood taste lol.

Yea i'm a hippy. "No Chemicals MAN!"

7. Actually they really do nothing to enhance or take away from the flavor. I've been smoking out of my bamboo bong for at least 6 months now and it tastes exactly the same as if I smoke out of my glass bubbler.

8. Yea dude, i said that kinda stuff takes away from the taste lol.

9. You're aware of what you're saying? I said the inside was NOT coated with anything as in its bare bamboo. And it takes away from the taste? You're not making any sense mate.

And besides, regardless of whether or not it gets coated with anything tar is going to build up on the inside. Even if the bamboo did offer some natural flavor which it doesn't, it would get masked by the incredibly nasty smell/taste of the tar.

Moot point.

10. I was talking about stain or finish dude. Read twice for understanding.

11. Exactly. It has no stain or finish, so how can it take away from the taste? Also, refer to the 2nd paragraph of my previous post. You're arguing a moot point.

12. Yea well your mom's a chipmunk.

13. Can't dispute that.

14. Yeah voodoojay got lost. Lexus has an unstained bamboo bong and it taste just like it would from a glass piece is what he's saying.

15. <3 Hoast.

16. Ooh, bamboo. I should try that sometime

17. Yeah man i guess it was a mutual misunderstanding, my bad. So whaddaya say, friends forever!?!?!:hello:

18. i dont know about you guys but i understood voOdOojay just fine. He was agreeing that putting a finish on it takes away from the flavor of the bud.

I dont want to argu this but thats how i read it.

also i love bamboo and want to make one with a glass mouth peice and glass bowl and a long skinny bamboo stick so its like a peace pipe that my rents have but glass not metal.

19. I would coat the inside, but not the outside. That glue idea sounds pretty good.

20. well, I just finished my bong and i atrully didn't coat the inside or the outside
    it is working pretty nice
    but the only problem is that i can't put a lot of water in it