Ballist heat

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by keatann, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I just purchased a complete 400W MH system from my local hydroponics store and have a question about the heat in the ballist. The guy at the store said I could put the metal box on a piece of carpet to reduce any noise from vibration. He didn't mention anything about heat. Is it normal for the box (ballist) to get this hot? By the way, I'm on 12/12 for 5 days now.
    Thanks, in advance.

2. I think it's normal for ballast to get pretty hot. I've seen several grow rooms that have the ballast outside of the actual grow area for that reason. I sat my ballast outside of my grow closet and noticed a drop in temperature of a degree or two.

3. Thanks for the info. I also have the box outside the room. I was just a bit worried about the heat. If it's normal I won't worry about it.

4. if its still on "the carpet" id put it on a solid piece of wood. you never know bout a fire. or something that wouldnt catch flame.

5. ya id definitely put the ballast on something solid though!
    I'd keep it away from carpet, cos u could build up a lot of static around it! I got a nasty shock off a power supply cos of it, Static can give you a nice whack!
    CWL

6. Thanks for that bit. I also got quite a shock! It's off the carpet now!!
    People in this forum are very helpful. I can't tell you how much I've learned about growing just from reading all these questions and the many answers.