Ballast Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by dudecheese, Aug 17, 2008.

1. I was told that a balast can give off a radio frequincie that can disrput tvs and radios and shit. I'd like to know what type of ballasts wouldn't do this?

2. The digital ones are supposedly the ones putting this kinda weird frequency shit out... I havent used one so I can't say... I just stick with what works, good ole 'regular' balasts..

3. I called lumatek about this issue (a few years ago). They said that the first generation digital ballast (all makes) had this problem. They tried to fix it by shielding the cord. Then some genius found the fix and everyone followed suit. He said it was an addition of a resistor of sorrts and shielding the box. Call them and ask them to explain this better 1-415-233-4273.

From http://www.lumatek.co.uk/generalproductinfo.htm

R.F emissions

Lumatek ballasts are now internally RF shielded and can be used with standard System Cord sets as available in each country worldwide. Our ballasts produce the least amount of EMI (electro- magnetic interference) of any electronic ballast and conform to all international Electro-magnetic emission standards. This applies to all blue and purple models of the Lumatek. The older silver models which employed earlier technology (at the time industry leading) can be upgraded for current models (and the highest EMI standards) at reduced purchase costs; for details please contact us by e-mail or if you are in the USA or Canada tel U.S

4. I can definitively report that as of 2007 the supposed second generation "Blue Case" 1000 watters still had RF issues.

5. I have the purple 2007 1K in the 220V. and have had NO RF issues at all,it never even gets hot,just a good and warm,i friggin love this thing,makes no noise,cool and puts out great and wont degrade like regular ballasts always do.
    Great warr. too.