Ballast Help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Murder_Face, Dec 15, 2008.

1. I have a 400w type m59 ballast, its slightly used, ive got it wired to my breaker box, i turn it on, it hums but the bulb never "warms up." ive been through 2 bulbs already...

2. your ignitor is POOCHED.... used?no warranty...ouch..

happened to my last one, you can hear it humming but the light never comes on, then you end up killing the bulb trying to turn it on repetitively....

3. Does the bulb not turn on or does it light up bit not produce the light amount? Is the ballast for 240V or 115v. If the ballast whines that is not good, but yo umight need to take it apart, AFTER you discharge is, Unplug it let it sit for an hour or two. If you see any sorched area inside of the ballast that is most likely the problem.

When I worked on electronics, I did a smell test when ever I opened up the case. If you smell something burnt like butnt hair. most likley one of your caps are done for.

I had issue when I bought my 400, light never came on, I checked the wires in side of the hood and found out that they where not connected.

As for parts you can get most of them online or at your local grow shop.

Good luck.
    Greeni

4. Yea i think i may have killed the first bulb by flipping it on and waitin then back off then on again... ignitor? i took it apart but theres this metal tube connected to a battery cell or something, can i rebuild it? would it be expensive?

5. honestly i have no clue.....i had a warranty,cuz it was 3months old, they just sent me a new one........ you should be able to get it fixed somewhere????hydro store or electronics store??

6. Those battery lookinng things are the Capasitors, They are pretty inexpensive.
    If you feel that ou arent that versed in fixing elcetronics, take it to your local HydroShop, they might fix it for dirt cheap. Everytime I go to my local place they are fixin' broken ballasts for dirt cheap.

7. Awesome, thanks for the help!:D