baggies covering pots can it heat up the soil and sprout too much?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mangochut, Sep 14, 2006.

1. I followed the germination guide and all and cracked my seeds in paper towel, put them in potting soil in small pots, placed outside last night with plastic baggies over the top of each pot pretty much covering the pot and the weather today was like, a surprise, at 27 degrees C, which was fairly warm and direct sunlight. the pots were lined up in a sunny space in my back area, and with the baggies on as the day progressed I became concerned about the heat and the baggies amplifying this heat too much.

can seeds wanting to sprout out of the soil become too hot and die inside the soil. I think that humid is required and warmth but do you think they got too warm. the inside surface of the plastic bags (when I got home) had as expected heavy droplets of water under them from the sun shining on the plastic and heating up etc. I just got home then and removed the bags, sprayed the top of the soil of each pot with some water to refresh them and hopefully they can get some nice open air on what will prob be a cool night. I hope they come up and enjoyed the heat and humidity.

2. it's in the evening and I just went out then to pot a couple more cracked seeds and check on the planted ones and there's a huge snail wandering around on the lip of the pot. I removed it and put the bag covers back over the pots.

I wonder if snails and slugs are more active at night than day. it seems they pose a real threat because it wouldn't take one of them long to finish off a young sprout. although they could still get into the pot it may be harder for them to slide up a plastic bag and they may abort the mission.

3. they will be fine, they dont need to be in the sun to pop out of the seed shells

why are they outside? too late to grow outdoors (unless your in the southern hemisphere) and the snails will get them if you dont use a rubber band to hold those baggies in place

your better off indoors with lites when they sprout, thats where they will need to grow up anyhow

4. yep, southern.

I was going to do a few outside, and thought that by placing them in the sun the natural warmth would stimulate the growth. as yet I don't have an indoors set up. I have flowering chamber in progress but am not sure to use an MH conversion bulb and just swap the bulbs for grow and bloom stages, or go for a second chamber to veg with an MH in there. I really don't want to have to set up a whole new veg chamber with the fans and everything but I would like a place to put the mother and waiting clones that are ready to be flowered so I'm more efficient time-wise, and can simply switch them in after I crop an existing couple. that's why I would like to get some advice and probably purchase a ready-to-go vegging chamber to compliment my flowering closet. I imagine the veg chamber can be smaller (2/3rds the size?) than the flowering box, and this would suit for neatness in the room. Can you also combine the seedling light stage/chamber into the general veg light stage/chamber. I would like a MH light for veg, cfl for seedling starting. but for now it's the sunshine outside. I am very wary of spotter planes flying over even tho I am only doing a home grow I kind of feel exposed and I hear choppers sometimes. does anyone know if you build a patio out the back is there a covering that lets through light so a plant can still grow but be covered by an overhead patio which just look regular and all. :smoking:

5. seeds will pop in the dark

I have seedlings in the veg room but shaded by the older plants for the first week

there is a Corrugated Polycarbonate (4'x10' sheets) greenhouse grow panels you cant see thru but disperse the lite well, I bought some at the local building supply

6. do you find the panels let you grow as well as if there was no panels, just open light. or do you lose a bit of grow energy as the sun passes thru them.

I will do some searching in my area, thanks for the tip.

7. its better than lites but not quite as good as direct sun

difference is negligible

8. hmm,

the soil in the pots are still moist after another 27 C day, as I did a test a few hours ago digging down a little. I think the plastic baggies which I've been placing on during the morning for the day may be effective at retaining the wetness more than if they were off. I feel soil would dry out if the soil was exposed during the day, keeping in mind the outdoor exposure. this is handy not having to water ongoing for the first period, I think I won't have to water for about another 2 or so days after I drenched them initially.

I agree, a patio covering that lets full light in (ie for growing plants + for brightening the area). if it could cut UV as well for persons in the backyard this would be good but not if it affects the light conditions required for growing. a full cover can protect from the elements.

sounds like a good option using the sun if it's available. you still growing under your polycarbonate today?

;)

9. ALWAYS germinate in a cool dark place. Dont expose to the sun untill they pop about the dirt.

10. shit I hope they still fare well enough to provide me with some enjoyment.

hopefully the moisture in the soil will provide a significant buffer for continuity. growing outside you don't want to waste time with failed missions. :eek:

:smoking:

actually it's interesting to know that the point the sprout needs light is when it is actually exposed to the light itself, before this it takes care of it's growth just by air, water, and support. this according to your own ideas.

11. What do you mean by cool?? MJ germinates best at 75 - 80 F.