Bag Seeds or Seed Banks?

Discussion in 'General' started by iCheif, Mar 7, 2013.

1. I guess this is mainly for the experienced grower out there, what do you prefer to grow with?? Bag seeds or Seeds you bought? And why....

Ive a good amount of some nice dark tiger striped beauties ive been saving up....their all like 2-8 seeds found per QP of some good high grade. Jus wondering if these are some good ones to grow w/ or should I look into seed banks? I assume bag ones are better but not 100% because I have no prior experience.

Thanks GC :smoking:

2. Why would you think bag ones are better?

3. #3 RooksYR, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    Grow those bag seeds dude. They will be dank if you treat them right. Seed bank seeds are good for getting certain types of traits, since you know what the plant is supposed to be.

Grow out those bag seeds, selectively seed one part of one of the plants (just incase its stuff with good traits, pest resistant, mold resistant, drought resistant ect). Then next go around buy some seed bank seeds and cross breed those with your second gen bag seed seeds.

EDIT: also you are going to screw up the first time around, either you or something around you will screw things up to some extent. Work out the kinks with the free bag seed. You may find you suddenly have a type grasshopper that you've never seen in your life, chomping down on your plant; Or ants randomly chewing through your stems.

4. Thanks alot for the great info, definitely takin all that into consideration. Could you just explain this part a lil better, i unerstand every thing else. Are you talking about if I get a male, to pollenate that carefully on a certain part of the female plant so it produces seeds lol sorry if im totally off but im tryin to learn everything I can.
    Thanks man

5. First couple grows maybe should be bag seed because you'll probably fuck it up. Just to get the basics down.

If the seeds came from good bud they still have a high chance of becoming a hermi, if they are female at all.

If you get some mid-looking shit that is really good with seeds then I would grow them out and see what I get. Might be some nice sativa or something.

Otherwise I'd buy good genetics. That is once you have your system down. So start with bag seed but remember each plant is different and has different needs as far as nute consentration and ph.

6. The seeds I have by the way.....

DeathStar-alot
    Durban Poison-alot
    Ak-47
    Blueberry
    Trinity
    Trainwreck
    Mothers milk lol
    Hindu Kush
    Master Kush
    Og Kush
    G-13 Haze
    Strawberry Diesel
    Golden Goat
    White Rhino

7. ^Well since you know the strains they came from I'd pick what I like and find a breeder with good reviews as far as the male/female/hermi ratio goes.

Again if it's your first time grow them out or hell I'd probably grow them anyway. Just know there is a good chance they could hermi.

8. #8 iCheif, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    I'll prolly just try some of these real good mids I got a while back for first time. I have alot to experiment with. I did always here.....everytime you get better.

Funny you say that cuz my friend grew some from a ok mids seed.....and honestly it was some of the best bud ive EVER seen. It was outdoor and he had them all tied down horizontally, so the whole plant would get full sun. These buds were huge, giant colas all over....bunch of banana buds and ill never forget, these buds had like 4 differnt colored hairs on the buds....ud see purple hairs, then it blended to red, orange. Hard to describe but it was damn good.

9. Seed bank seeds are going to be the way to go in the long run. Bag seeds just have too many unknowns attached to them, and are only good for your first couple of grows if you don't have a few bucks for a feminized seed from a seedbank.

You have to think about where the seeds came from. Most of those seeds are either from plants that turned herm and self pollinated, or are from plants that were pollinated by other plants that hermed. Either way there is a good chance that seed carries the genetic predisposition to herm from the parent that turned herm.

So if you are wanting to save money and just mess around then go ahead and practice with bag seeds, but don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

10. I like seed banks because I like feminized seeds.

11. Yea just pollinate one part of the plant. Like the lower buds only. If you get any males, you can cut off the pollen sacks before they open. Takes those inside and throw away the males. Open up the pollen sacks away from you plants, get a painbrush and dip it in the pollen, and go paint what ever bud site you want pollinated with it.

12. Hi I'm new on here and have a few questions but don't know how to start a new post help me please?!?

13. my first grow was bagseed and it was fun to learn, it was a girl.

14. #14 rain dancer, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    I've grown some seriously epic unknown bag seed strains and then crossed them with known strains to create some seriously fucking killer bomb bud, my favorite being orange bud, which smells, tastes and looks like oranges, covered in orange hairs. Smells like citrus when u break it up, it's awesome. I crossed a sour diesel with some "pepper" like bud some illegal alien gave me.

Recently, after years of creating my own strains, crossing plants and hearing that good ol complement, "wtf is that? Never smelled any bud like that before!" I decided to grow some pure strains. The main difference was quality over quantity. The pure strains were as one would expect, grown for their intended purpose, ie, indoor -short, stout, covered in crystals and thick.

Bagseeds fun cuz like forest gump once said, never know what you're gonna get. Plus watching a strain you crossed a few times become some new epic unseen plant is nice.

15. damn you're set blade

16. Right on, Im just thinking about all the endless possibilities of different strains I could cross.....or even triple cross

I could make some Durban DeathStar
    Golden Rhino....yeahhhh buddy
    Golden Poison haha

Hopefully their good beans tho, theres no white ones in their whatsoever, not that it makes a big difference if its a hermi or male

17. #17 iCheif, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks GC for all the great info, much appreciated! Once I move back to Colorado here soon....its game on

18. As I type this I am smoking on some weed I grew from bag seed. The seeds were actually about 2 years old and from some high quality commercial weed. The harvest yielded some great stuff and was my first grow. Obviously I made some mistakes along the way and incurred some deficiencies and nute burn. I still ended up with great smoke - a mixture of good luck with good genetics.

Genetics determines 90% of your quality and yield. You can be the best gardener and yet you will still be limited by the genetics you use. With bag seed you are working with unknown genetics. Remember that 50% of the genes are from the male which is of unknown quality. The bud you found the seed in could have been the most dankest stuff on earth, but accidentally pollenated by some random rag weed male. When growing mystery weed you really do have to experiment to dial in the ideal amount of nutrients, flowering time, etc.

With most seed banks you can find stable strains that have been inbred so many times that mutation and variance are almost eliminated. With a known strain - Skunk #1 for example - had been grown by thousands of other people and you will find lots of grow journals and other info that can help you get a maximum yield. I just bought some seeds from "The Attitude" seed bank from a few different breeders, including the Skunk #1 by Sensi Seeds.

If you want to be a marijuana smoker and grower then bag seed is ok.
    If you want to be a cannabis connoisseur and gardener then buy some seeds.