Bag Seed Indoor Grow Problem/ Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SouthernHigh420, Aug 1, 2016.

1. And keep your ph correct at all times
    Feed them nutes and boost Em up with nutes intill these tell u that's enough and keep it under that and as times goes boost it
    You'll be fine

2. #22 SouthernHigh420, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Deleted cause can't see cultivation forums

3. #23 SouthernHigh420, Aug 3, 2016

4. #24 SouthernHigh420, Aug 3, 2016

5. I would attempt to not remove fan leaves if you can. The only exception I would give is if you have a huge set of fans near down from your large top that are completely shading the undergrowth. In that case I would take a single pair. You really want to limit it. It's not as bad in veg stage but in bud stage the stress hormones released when you pluck leaves stunts growth. It's dramatic enough that if you want to arrest your flowering stretch some people will just pluck most of the large fan leaves and the plant stops growing taller for the most part. You're also removing the part of the plant that is doing most of the processing of light into energy.

This is a frequently debated topic with people and examples on both sides. The real botany scientist that have looked at this issue almost without fail will say never remove fan leaves.

I did an experiment for myself last grow. I did extreme, medium, and light defoliating on my plants. The extreme got done the fastest and has the smallest buds. It's not very scientific but that was my results of the first experiment.

6. #26 SouthernHigh420, Aug 3, 2016

7. You can just let them grow more if they're still in veg. Once they get into bud it's more important. This doesn't apply to leaves that die and want to fall off. If they're about to come off take them off. This also doesn't apply to removing the bottom foliage. If you want to limit popcorn and increase the size of your colas this is also a good idea IMO. It has a side effect of helping ventilation as well.

8. #28 SouthernHigh420, Aug 3, 2016

9. I have a bad habit of adding huge edits instead of new posts so I don't look like a spammer but re-read because I tend to add stuff. Good luck with the badseed. I'm just finishing a badseed grow and I'm going to get starts from a friend next time for sure. I had a hermie. It's really frustrating to go through all the time to waste it on a hermie. That's quite common with bagseed and a definite risk. If it was good bud that's probably where your seed came from in the first place. The seed will tend to pass on that trait.

10. #30 SouthernHigh420, Aug 4, 2016

11. Been a "Hermie" is subjective. They come with different symptoms. Some put out full on male flowers at the same time as female, some sneak in a few male flowers later in the grow where you're not looking and end up pollinating the crop, some put out something called a "nanner". That's a male flower without the outer "ball/grape like" covering. Most male flowers aren't active until the ball pops open. Nanners pollinate right away because they are uncovered fertile male flowers parts growing with no cover. Nanners are harder to spot and resemble white hairs at first.

Just because your seed was from a hermie doesn't mean that it will be one for sure. It's been explained to me like this. There is basically 3 different gene types of female plants. The first will randomly put out male plant parts no matter how well it grows or is treated, the second will only put out male plant parts when it is stressed or if it is taken too far into the bud cycle, the third and most desirable type of female plant will never go male unless it is injected with special stress chemicals to make it turn male even them some are so strongly female they refuse.

This is how femanized seeds are made. A strong female only plant is stressed or injected or let go too long until it produces male parts. The pollen is used to pollinate a female clone. The resulting seeds are all female. This happens with standard random hermies too.

If you happen to have mostly female plants when you bud them chances are your seed stock came from a hermie garden and has a percentage to get random seeds or male parts. I had 4 out of 4 females in my bud room from bagseed. At first I was excited and felt lucky but I knew that luck must have came with a downside and it did.

I guess as far as hermies go I did get lucky. I spend a good amount of time with my plants because they're in my bedroom. I've only spotted 2 seeds so far and since I did I look all the time. After hours of looking I never found a male part but something made those seeds. It's hiding very well though and I think my high air flow in the room prevented too many tops from being pollinated. That's what I'm hoping. I'm doing a water change tonight and putting florakleen in them to flush for 3 days. I'm cutting two down Saturday morning so I guess I may know how bad my seed problem is. Since I couldn't find the male and nail it down I just finished them all. I guess I got lucky because I have seen some pretty bad hermies in my research and these plants I have are 99% female.

Apparently almost all of the old great land race sativas were hermies. Some of the best plants breeders have ever made I've read have turned out hermie and they attempt to stable them out because they seem to be some of the most resinous plants. Mine are thick with crystals.

I really have no desire to deal with seeds or reduced bud production because of seed production. I will be attempting to "weed" the hermie genes from my garden for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #32 SouthernHigh420, Aug 4, 2016

13. What are you feeding for nutrients? What brand? No reason you shouldn't give more than one as long as you keep it light. Usually they have a recommended mix for veg and how often.

I have a mix of at least 6,8, or 10 nutrients I add. Armor si, PH down, hydroguard, flora grow, flora micro, flora bloom, diamond nectar, calimagic, flora blend, budcandy, dry kool bloom. In only 1 1/2 gallons of water I add at least 1/4 tsp of all of these some up to 1/2 to the same batch of nutrients. The blend and amounts vary depending on what stage of growth the plant is in.

A full tsp/gallon ratio is pretty high and I usually keep to 1/2tsp/gallon at the most but I put in way more stuff.

14. #34 SouthernHigh420, Aug 5, 2016

15. #35 SouthernHigh420, Aug 6, 2016

16. They look good but show signs of slight heat stress. That's what the curled up tips all the way down the leaves are telling you. What is the temp in the room at canopy level? If it's over 85 or so you should figure out how to get your tent cooler. If your temp is fine 80 range then raise your light a few inches. They show heat stress from too much light as well.

17. #37 SouthernHigh420, Aug 6, 2016

18. #38 SouthernHigh420, Aug 6, 2016

19. #39 SouthernHigh420, Aug 6, 2016

20. The main symptom of heat/light stress are the curled up serrations of the leaves like your plants have. Raise the light up, watch the leaves. You'll be fine. They look really healthy except the curl. I got that too. My LED's are really intense. I even got light stress at 3 ft away when they were young. With HPS you won't have to put them that far. Be careful of putting them too far. Putting the light too far causes stretch. The plant attempts to reach for the hot zone of the light. You want to keep them tight to get good buds. HPS's have a narrow sweet spot so only raise it a few inches and see how they do.

You absolutely should have a low breezy fan blowing on them It helps you get strong stems that don't need to be held up later on.