Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. And to everyone, I have been letting a TON of recipes and tutorials pile up over here, but the Photo Album Feature
    at GC is broken! Without it, I can't upload any new photos for the tutorials. :(

The techs are not sure of the scale of the issue, so I would :love:LOVE!!!:love: if anyone, and everyone, could just
    click on a few of these albums, and report to the tech section if you can not see the photos!!

This is a screen shot of what I've been seeing lately; I can see the empty spots where the photos should be, but
    none of my old photos.

Their direct-links still work (it's why you can still see them, throughout the thread), but when uploading newer
    photos, I'm not given access to the direct links of those newest photos.

[​IMG]

And links to just a few of the albums effected...

Thanks-Canna-Giving Dinner

~TAZO Chai~ PumpCANNA Pie ;)

Holiday: Sausage Cheese Canna Bread

More Canna Pizzas =-D

Again, if you can not see the actual photos in those above links, PLEASE let the techies know in the
    Forum Tech Questions Problems and Trouble Shooting area of the forum!!I'm assuming they must still be
    visible for some members, but if the techies can be made aware of all those members, who can't see the
    photo albums, they'll have a MUCH better chance and an easier time isolating and fixing the problem!

Thank you SO much..
    as soon as they are working again, I'll be able to return with all the tutorials that I've
    been hanging on to since, basically, the December GC server update (including the simple 420 recipes which
    I had REALLY wanted to share several weeks ago, when all this started again, to help out folks who may
    usually be apprehensive in the kitchen, but then 'suddenly' become interested in cooking and baking, right
    around 420). :D

Including...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, guys!! :p :D:smoke:

2. This is a really long post to try to get on close to where you were. BKS, I have a the compassion in the world for people and I don't begrudge them a therapy that may save their life. I'll use as an example of my own to illustrate. Because of my disabilities I have paid close attention to Phoenix Tears others like them. But there nothing but corporate ramblings that met policy. That's ok,too, I guess. But after I had decided to try my hand at doing it safely, I wasn't sure what to do with the finished product. I knew about the absorption and non-narcotic uses and it made me worry because I thought I had just lost a lot of money. I hadn't smoked "real" hash oil since the early seventies but wasn't crazy about it, but it was good. I was more concerned about turning my little bit of excellent oil into a product that might work differently for others but still be a great treatment. If I hadn't already know that I could reconstitute that oil back into a honey elixir, I would have just chased the damn stuff around a class bowl for a couple of days and that would be for the lesser good. I know about your work and look forward to hash cooking soon and am looking for some "gourmet" recipes a lot like yours. I was expecting it with you because of your prolific writing skills, but I searched and searched and found nothing for the tears. I don't want to brag, but the honey elixir I made from the tears has already shown promise in an MS patient that hadn't seen much of promise. That is what I want. The GC community could come up with all new therapies just based on our own skills and ingenuity. Mine came out of my head. There are lots of heads out there. In fact, I'm making the hash oil again tonight but don't know what I'll want or can do with it. I don't want to sit and smoke it all in a couple of days, which would be easy to do since I'm out of smoke. I'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone comes up creative. To reconstitute the oil, everclear will be needed, but the sky's the limit if I like the recipe.

3. #983 BadKittySmiles, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012

I'm still not really clear on what you're asking, where this message seems more concerned with what you can make with it, and your last seemed to be asking more what you can treat using your oil... I think you may be asking both? :)

If it's a question of what ailments, diseases and conditions you can treat with it, that's specifically why I directed you to Storm Crow's list, because there's just WAY too much to list here all at once. I could list three or four dozen different kinds of cancers, another dozen different diseases, different symptoms, conditions, drug withdrawals, side-effects from medication, and more, all without ever touching on the specific problem you were looking for help with. :)

For instance, I've worked with several hundred patients personally, and at least as many online over the last 15 years or so, with almost as many, unique conditions, ailments, and circumstances, and very nearly 99% of them were successfully treated, cured, or relieved to some lesser or greater extent, by using hash extracts, just processed and activated either more, or less, tailored to their specific needs.

If it's just a question of what you can do with a finished smokable hash product, you can do ANYTHING with it, that you like. :)

That includes everything from making a glycerin or alcohol tincture for anything from sublingual absorption and beverages, to dissolving and infusing it in a blend of your favorite topical oils, to simply blending it with edible oil, until it fully breaks down, bonds and becomes coated, becoming more bioavailable. :)

The reason I gave you the above recipe, was not specifically for the recipe itself, but because of the preface or prologue, explaining levels of activation and the brief description of the sensations they cause, and the treatments they are good for.

No one extraction method is superior to any other, except in terms of a specific condition, based on the end product you're looking to produce. And remember we're discussing extraction, which does not always equal bioavailability.

This is why it 'seems' like some extraction methods work better than others... some certainly do work better for certain treatments as they can cause different amounts of activation just during the standard procedure of extraction, but those others methods, that don't work for the conditions you're treating, are more acceptable than yours, for others!
    It's another reason I gave you the link to Granny's list, some of those articles contain the specific cannabinoids, and whether or not they need to be active, and the different terpenes, that can help different conditions. :)

Different extractions methods still produce and extract the same glandular material, but some degrade more terpenes, some cause the destruction of terpenes and cannabinoids more easily than others if you're not careful, and others may cause more activation of your cannabinoids, than you or your patients are looking for.

This is why I prefer a cold dry-sift hash, blended into a bioavailable solution directly with the carrier oil, preserving terpene content (which can be lost during a butane, alcohol or hexane purge), preventing free-floating terpenes and cannabinoids (which occur during ice-water/bubble hash production)... when you do not need to purge a solvent, you're preserving MUCH more medicinal value in the form of terpenes, and undamaged, non-degraded cannabinoids. My favorite hash extraction tool from YEARS ago, was made from mesh screen about 120u - 130u, in a large, childhood rock-tumbler, that could be operated in the freezer.. I would first freeze the bucket alone, containing the mesh basket, containing the ground herb, then place the entire machine with the bucket in place, right in the freezer, with the cord hanging out... in a half hour or so it would be FULL of brittle, but at room temp, sticky, gooey hash, terpenes and all. Terpenes make dry-sift hash sticky, older glandular material that is no longer sticky and is difficult to press without the aid of heat, contains primarily only cannabinoids (this is why 'shatter', shatters).:hello:

In this way, you can activate in a sealed container trapping volatile terpenes, then control the conversion that takes place directly in the oil meant for consumption, without releasing the terpene content and with the least overall exposure to heat possible, and without the need for additional purging. We dry sift for hash, then either perform an alcohol wash on the remains, or make a weak canna oil for things like topicals, or just as a base for future canna or hash oil.

As far as solvent-based extractions go, a 'dirty' or inert plant matter contaminated oil is fine and just as medicinal or therapeutic, but the more pure (clear/gold) it is, and for both the more terpenes you've preserved, the easier it is to work with and the better when it comes to breaking it down for use in other solvents... some of the darker, inert plant matter for instance, is not as or even at all soluble in oil, or glycerin, meaning if you over-soak using alcohol or acetone, you'll need to either filter or purge the contaminants for a smooth consistency in your secondary solvent, or carrier. This is why some people, when making BHO, redissolve in alcohol then filter, to remove waxes, and others redissolve their alcohol concentrates in BHO or hexane, to remove potential salts and chlorophyll... I am not an expert or very well-practiced in those methods, although I've goen through them a handful of times over the years (mainly for fun, because they DO produce a wonderful concentrate, it just seems wasted for anything but great smoke/vape if you're on a budget :p But when working with those who have huge amounts of cannabis, we've whipped of batches of similar for pure medicinal value and edible concentrates...) as they tend to allow MUCH too large a percentage of the medicinal value, particularly via cannabinoid degradation, over-activation, and mainly terpene evaporation.. when you have a solid shatter, the majority of the terpene content your extract once had, is gone. In order for these methods to work the best, with the least loss in potency, you need days (sometimes, when carefully purging butane, months) of patience and a constant cold environment, but not TOO cold or the butane won't purge (I believe its evap point is a degree or so above freezing), and as weeks of exposure to freezing temperatures can cause activation or decarboxylation in cannabinoids, while some patients may not desire this.

So again, to wrap things up, Phoenix Tears/RSO type extractions, regardless of the extraction method or solvent used, are JUST hash and plant extracts often including an amount of inert plant matter, and they can be used the same way as you would, any hash extract.

It's nothing more than a clever and popular name, for a process which has been around for ages before the name came about, that has been used wonderfully to publicize and promote cannabis awareness. Nothing more, nothing less. :hello:

It can be eaten as-is if you have the cannabis to spare, but it is MUCH more effective and delivers multiple times the cannabinoid content to the body, blood stream, organs and tissue (ie. several times the absorption, is equivalent to turning 1 pound, into 4 - 5 pounds worth of medicine) when bioavailability is promoted. :eek: :yay:

This is again probably a lot more than you were looking for :p

And where I wasn't able to find a clearly expressed question in either of your posts, I'm not sure if any of this has touched on what you may have been asking. :eek:

4. badkat your the best :D

5. Just finished making the canna-oil with coconut oil, following all steps - it took quite a while but I have a half-cup of beautiful green coconut oil at the end! Just ate some in a canna-truffle and will report back on the results.

6. When you can get your jaw off the floor and wipe up the drool. you'll report back :).

I made a bunch more of these pills for my good friend ME BUBBLEDUSTY's father but gave him 5 for his own pain management to try out.

He was comatose :) :cool:

7. #987 Walter White, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
    Thank you so much for the above processing information BKS! Does this seem somewhat accurate?

Under Processing/No Decarb
    Results in sativa dominant qualities

Average Processing/Decarb
    Results in equal hybrid qualities

Over Processing/Decarb
    Results in indica dominant qualities

I've had some fairly recent problems with terrible panic attacks after smoking. I'd have extremely fast racing thoughts that just dominated my mind and left me unable to function. I'm hoping to avoid that when I make edibles and thanks to your info, I'm definitely not going to under process.

How average do you think your canna oil tutorial is in terms of processing? Does it lean more towards cerebral/anxious qualities, body/sedative qualities, or neither?

8. I wish my friends would leave it at just once a month, but I do like to cook so I don't mind.

9. I see BK is recommending minimum 4 hours now for freezing times.. I've been going by a an old 2 hour reference but often this is increased as the entire process is long and I'll sometimes go out or go to bed during the freeze processes.

I've picked up a new style of brownies. I always had betty crocker brownies and have had people tell me that they require more oil than mine always did... I discovered a 'family style' version of the brownies that I always get that do not have the package of chocolate syrup inside and the recipe then requsts nearly 3x the oil as the non family-style recipe.... now I only need to eat 1 brownie instead of several.

Something I'm noticing is I believe I build a tollerance to the psychoactive properties of the edibles really fast but the sedation properties that allow me to go to sleep when my wife goes to sleep (opposed to being up with insomnia until 3 am) and get a good night's rest every night remain strong. Going a week or so between a batch leaves me euphoric/stoned off the first night's brownie and generally I'm just sleepy and crash for the remainder.

10. That is such a long page. Anyway, BKS, thank you for those reference guides which will help immensely. What I'm doing is just trying out new ideas and uses for processes that we already think we know about. My "tears" reference was more the reality than your hash caps. I just used it as a well known potent med that is getting almost legendary for the patients needing them the most. As I found out, there are other uses for the tears for the masses but I could only find mine. I asked for help once I discovered how good it was but got not a word from seasoned tokers or edibles as to a suggestion. It was like someone well respected needs a Heimlich in a restaurant one night and because he is so famous or respected, no one will approach him-he may sue one of them-he dies of choking and a possible world leader could be lost. Or like, "Duh, Dude, your complaining that it's TOO good? Are you crazy?" I could not believe I could not even get one response to this issue from this forum. They're buzzing all the time, day and night. So I used your most known recipes so far to me is your hash caps because my liquid oil is so important to my life, but manages it well. I am going to try them very soon and I'm sure I'll love them, but am I ready for them yet is the question. If, like the tears, there turns out that I can use them for another use no one has thought of, like I've just done with tears, then I want to. I used your recipe to make that proposal because of your fame here and I wanted to make a statement. I want to offer my apologies with all my heart if I offended you by not getting clearance or something I said or the way I said it. You have my best wishes at heart, especially for some of those things of yours I hoping to try.

BKS, your answer to by question was perfect and couldn't be more on the spot. Thank you. Again, looking forward to "Grannys" especially since I know of that reference and have been looking for years to be able to try some of her ideas. That will give me less to pester you with. :smoke:

11. I can definitely vouch for that! My wife now gets excellent sleep (and "all-night" sleep, unlike Ambien) from taking 6 capsules of coconut oil / lecithin / buds that has been processed for 6 hours. These six capsules contain the equivalent of one gram of buds (last batch made about 340 caps out of 60g bud). It has even reduced the frequency of her migraines (between the better sleep, cannibis in her system, or whatever).

THANKS BKS!

12. LOL I was indeed pretty laid-out :smoke: took it three hours before bed, slept like a baby, woke up still slightly stoned. You're the best, BK! :hello:

13. #993 scottio19, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
    may I ask why you freeze the oil/butter after the heating process, and not in between heatings?

edit: nevermind, found that you already went over it on page 41

14. Hello BKS,

I'm going to try my hand at the UV hard candy.

My question is this.

I have 2g of hash laying around, and about a half ounce of bud laying around.

In order to use these both, should I decarb, then use coconut oil and the ground decarbed plant material.. complete the oil, THEN come back and introduce the hash and reprocess it?

15. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']‘UV Reactive ***GLOWING*** Canna Candy’

Glowing Hash Candies:

These you can make very easily, following any hard candy recipe. By adding oil, you’re turning a hard candy into something like a ‘caramel’, and with a little vanilla, or some fruit flavorings (I recommend passion fruit or papaya) these things taste a little overwhelmingly canna, but AMAZING.

They are one of my very favorite treats, I’m not sure if it’s the years of exposure or what, but hash just tastes soooo good this way: pure hash oil, mixed with pure sugar, lightly flavored or not = heaven.

How much hash you decide to use, really depends how strong you’d like them.

I recommend making the first batch you try WEAK, that way you don’t wind up regretting the temptation you have to eat a bunch right away :) The first batch can be a snack, the next can be meds.

They really taste that good, and the taste is only better when they aren’t made to glow.. the quinine in the tonic water, causes the glowing reaction under a black light, but it’s definitely a little bitter and of course it isn’t necessary at all unless you want your candy to glow, it's more of a festive party ‘gimmick’.

I’ve always considered these my ‘secret recipe’... I had actually decided against sharing it to begin with! Luckily, by the time I was preparing the mixtures to pour out and harden I was feeling a little more generous. :)

And besides, glowing tonic water isn’t exactly a HUGE secret, anyway :p

------------------------------------------------

You will need:

- 4.0g hash

- 3 tsp coconut oil or butter

- ¾ cup sugar

- ½ cup tonic water (to glow), or, regular water (more sweet)

- flavoring if desired

- a pinch of salt; not needed if using tonic water

- candy thermometer

- a small metal pot

- a baking sheet covered in greased foil, or wax paper

Makes: 20-24 x 5 – 7.5 gram candies. The circular licorice candies are 7.5 grams each, and the square and rectangle holiday candies weigh roughly 5 and 6 grams respectively.

Decarb then prepare the hash and coconut oil, or butter, as described in the first Canna Capsule recipe above.

You can definitely choose to use bud oil, and you can get away with using as many as 6 – 8 tsp of oil in that little sugar, before the consistency of the candy is too altered.

When you’re in the final stages of preparing your oil/butter and you’re ready to freeze it, you can begin the candy.

Start by mixing the tonic water, and sugar, in a pot over a medium heat until the sugar has fully dissolved. Once that has happened, bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 3 or 4 minutes, then insert your candy thermometer and if it’s a style which you can clasp to the side of the pot to keep it in place, do so. Once the temperature has reached 300 degrees, immediately remove from heat and set aside, leaving the thermometer in place.

Remove your hash oil from the freezer.

When the temperature of the clear liquid sugar is down to about 250, it is safe to add your not-quite-frozen, solidified oil, without risking a boil up. This will also rapidly reduce the temperature of the candy, making it safer for the cannabinoids. This is also the time you would add any flavoring, at a rate according to the flavor/manufacturers suggestion. The only coloring comes from the hash, otherwise these candies would be almost crystal clear.

Now, you have a few options.

There are inexpensive candy molds you can buy, you can simply pour it over some wax paper or greased foil, or finally, you can wait for it to cool somewhat, so it’s almost (but not quite) too hot to touch, keep it over a few low heat frequently cycling from on, to off, and form fast shapes by hand, as it turns rock solid.

I’ve done all three, each works just as well as the other.. depends what mood I’m in by the time I have the candy ready :) If measuring a consistent dose in each piece of candy is crucial, use a candy mold.. the medium and large jewels are fun, and work well.

For the tutorial I made two separate batches; one is a triple strength pure hash “Glass Candy” using only the hash as flavor, and the last batch I split into two portions, so each portion could be flavored.

3 x strength glass hash candy:

And a few moments later…

It glows so well, that the black light can be behind a couch or on the fridge, and the candy itself actually lights up the foil. And a foil-wrapped bowl can make a good serving dish.

This is the candy under normal lighting, and it looks, well... basically, normal.

And that’s it! Wrap in wax paper, or dust lightly with powdered sugar and bag it up for storage. It lasts for months if sealed well, years in the freezer.

I’ll finish this up with some glowing ‘eye candy’… pun, intended :)

And wrapped.

I hope you enjoy these at least half as much as I do :) Have fun!

Tip: If all the candies are the same size, you can calculate how much hash is in each, by just dividing your hash by the number of candies you have.

But to calculate how much hash is in each candy, when you have multiple different but consistent sizes, you simply weigh your candy, then take the grams of hash you used, divided by the total grams of candy you have. You’ll get a funny looking number. Then you multiply that number, by the number of candies you have in each individual category.

For instance, lets say I used 4 grams of hash, in 121 total grams of candy.

I had :
    8 x 5.0g (squares) = 40g,
    6 x 6.0g (rectangles) = 36g,
    and
    6 x 7.5g (circles) = 45g.

4 / 121 = 0.03305….. that is the weight of hash, per candy-gram.

Now, multiply that number, by the number of grams in each category, then divide by the number of candies in each category:

8 x 5.0g (0.03305) = 1.322 / 8 = .16g hash concentrate, per candy, which is about the average single-dose you’d expect from most dispensaries when hash is used.

6 x 6.0g (0.03305) = 1.1898 / 6 = .20g concentrate per candy

6 x 7.5g (0.03305) = 1.48725 / 6 = .25g concentrate per candy

That’s one way of doing it….

Otherwise, you can very easily multiply the funny number (0.03305) by the weight of an individual piece of candy. :) This way, even if all the candies are sized randomly, you’ll know the level contained in each candy if you have a scale and know the total weight of that one piece.

Hopefully I’ve tricked at least one person into doing more math than necessary, that’s always a good thing :)[/quote]

Hello BKS I just tried to make this hard candy recipe, but when I was adding the oil it wasn't mixing very well because it cooled too fast so I tried heating it gradually and it just seized up and changed to a dry crystalline consistency. Looks like some great "wax". What happened?

image-1512195028.jpg

16. You pretty much described, spot-on, how we make the wax candy discussed earlier in the thread. :)

Put simply, it's exactly what happens when you stir and heat too much! (Similar can also happen, if you stir too much, and your 'liquid' sugar touches any, or even a single crystal of sugar, that has adhered to the side of your pot).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Candy making is a fun, but tedious, time-specific, temperature-sensitive endeavor.

If you're not quick, and if you don't pour off your candy soon enough, especially if you aren't using any 'tricks' like syrups or citric acid (which I've been recommending on all new candy making posts, for those new chefs who don't have experience working with sugar), a whole batch can be ruined... you got off lucky, candy can turn out MUCH worse and virtually inedible!

At those times, all you're left to do is make a glaze for a cake, or another sugar/caramel sauce, that doesn't require a whole lot of heating.

We often make what you ended up with, on purpose, usually around April Fools day. :p

It's why I also recommend making a few batches of non-canna candy, first, using all the same ingredients and the same oil (and amount) you used to make your canna/hash oil.. for some patients it may take one trial batch, or it may take three or four trial batches before the patient understands how crucial it is to follow the steps as closely as possible, but once you've got the timing and heating down, and it comes out right, you're good to go with your canna oil. :)

17. Damn the same thing happened to my batch of candy a few days ago! First try and I put 4 grams of chronic in it. I was making a half-sized batch and my digital thermometer would not read hot enough because there was only a cm or two of liquid. It got too hot and boiled off too much water, by the time I put the coconut oil in it turned into hard sugary clumpy stuff that didn't taste too good. More cooked than your wax candy, its like compressed white powder!

The bud was worth the experiment, but maybe I should have tried it a few more times without it first.

I wonder if I can dissolve it in water again, and separate off the coconut oil?

18. My wife & I caretake our youngest son,. 22 yrs. old who is Autistic and a Calif mmj patient. Cannabis has proved effective but titration is a challenge with edibles.

I've outlined the steps below as I understand them and I am hoping to get your approval and corrections on anything I may be missing or doing wrong.

I grow my own and its pure and organic.

This is for a spray and not an oil nor pills. Our son will not eat a pill or anything that remotely tastes like Cannabis.

#1.) DeCarb cannabis at appropriate temps,.. 180/200 for 20 minutes
    then grind cannabis to a particulate with a food chopper/grinder.
    ?would I add powered lecithin at this point? and what amount? I thinkI read one to one? thats a lot, I may have misunderstood,...

add to warmed crock pot of appropriate amount of food grade glycerin
    ?would I add powered lecithin at this point?

6 hours on low temps, never above 200, 180 and below better,..
    drain, strain and filter while still warm
    ?would I add powered lecithin at this point?

#2.) I have been washing the resulting cannabis pulp at this point with Ever Clear 190 proof alcohol to get the high concentrate cannabis infused glycerine still residing in the cannabis pulp. I keep this liquid separate from the initial batch. I then put this alcohol wash batch onto a coffee mug warmer for a day to evaporite the alcohol. The results are the infused glycerine with no alcohol. This I then add to the original mix.

I want to make a strong enough batch to be able to deliver an effective dose in a spray. I have an extremely Autistic son, 22 yrs. old, bigger than me, stronger than me and faster then me,. who can not talk nor will he ever take a pill nor is he fooled by edibles,.. will not eat a brownie for months if he tastes the least bit of cannabis.

On the sprays I make,. not your recipe above, I have been using EverClear to extract the THC from my cannabis, I then evaporate to a concentration that works,.. I have this down.
    The problem arrises when I try to make it palatable enough to use in a spray,.. it always separates. This is why I want to use your method using food grade Glycerine.

I read your advice to re-use the infused glycerine on multiple batches of fresh herb to gain a concentration suitable for a spray to be effective. I understand this completely.

The sprays I have made using alcohol have been effective in calming my son down if he pitches a fit in a store or in public,.. sometimes he goes to the floor and wont budge, embarrassing and dangerous.

My question to you is please go over my procedures as I have them and correct me please on any mistakes I may be making. I want to add powered lecithin at the appropriate step,… should it be sprinkled on the freshly ground cannabis as its being added to the warmed glycerine or later after heating, straining and filtering?

We belong to a Autism support group and have shared our medicine with others Autistics. The alcohol batches separate and patients seem to dislike it when it does,.. it will re-mix by hard shaking. I have made but not tested your glycerine method, but am about too.

Thank you in advance for an absolute wonderful, detailed and on spot thread. If your ever in San Diego area you have a place.

19. #999 highjack30, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
    I have not had time to go through everything , but from what I have seen , this thread is awesome. I am subbed! :smoke:

I have heard you have a glycerin tincture recipe but I can't find it , and I have been searching.

20. Its on page 24.