Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I feel ya big time sister. If there's any help you ever need, just holla! You're a good, quality, human! :)

2. Dam I posted a big ol reply asking questions forgot to copy it fore I posted. Post needed to be reviewed fore it went up and now it's in the ether somewhere. Bummer. I'll try to remember what I was saying. lol

3. #263 meduser180056, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
    decarb chart.jpg
    ^^^
    Check out this chart

First I wanted to say thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge and experience. This thread is great so informative and makes me ravenous.

Ive been messing around with cooking concentrates[bubblehash, bho, kief] for a couple years now off and on.
    I'm one of those people that has a hard time getting a decent effect from edibles.

I finally got around to making my own hash oil pills back in february. I've tried a bunch of different methods from different forums that members have contributed and they all work fairly well. Yours is one of the most detailed I've seen. Anyhow I love the pills cause the amounts I need to eat to get an effect are crazy and it tastes bad. So I would choke down a shot of everclear with a gram of bho in it stuff like that. Now I can just take the pills.

I've been experimenting with the lecithin and bioperine before I found your thread, but had never heard of liposomal encapsulation. I'm interested in trying the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner method, but the demonstration I found on Youtube involves water.

Anyhow I'm trying to make it so I can take less pills and still get a good effect. Here's the method I've been using primarily to make my pills.

I decarb in a hot oil bath. I get the veggie oil up to 250F with my shot glass partially submerged in the oil. I drop in my BHO and let it decarb for 27 minutes about. I constantly monitor temps with a laser temp reader. I need to get a candy thermometer I think.

After the decarb I lower temp to about 200F then I add in MCT oil. Basically like coconut oil, but not solid at room temp unfortunately. I stir it up and let it dissolve after 5-10 minutes it usually seems fully dissolved to me. Then I let it cool and make up the caps.

I noticed in your method your very careful not to let vapors escape. You also never go above 220 really. Also you cook in the hash with the coconut oil for a total of 80 minutes. Is this really necessary?

I followed your method to the T exactly with lecithin and all and so far have not gotten better results yet. I think i just need to eat more. :[

I made a batch last night using 1 gram of scissor hash and 2 grams of bho reclaim I followed your method Made 10 pills about.

4. #264 BadKittySmiles, May 31, 2011

If you're using an ultrasonic jewelry cleanser, in models that apply you simply replace the water for oil. It's as easy as that :) The jerry-rigged 'cleanser' liposomal process relies, similarly to the heat-liposomal process we use more frequently, on a form of molecular manipulation. It's neat, but not necessary, the reason being that the increased heat from your stove top or oven, which is unfortunately required in order to break down your glandular material in a reasonable amount of time, rapidly increases molecular movement/speed causing both the break down, and liposomal coat/bond to occur.

Most jewelry cleansers only reach 50 - 60 c (up to about 140 f), which is considered the be in the 'high-safe' range for heat resistant jewelry. At those temperatures, it will require running the cleanser up to several days, to adequately break down your glandular material, and release the active material in it's most bioavailable form.

I've also found the results produced by more expensive, less affordable industrial equipment to be far more consistent and reliable, than those produced by smaller, home cleansers, which only set the patient back by a few hundred dollars.

It's a neat concept (I went into it a little on the first page I think), and valuable if you're looking for a 'set it and forget it' method of liposomal oil processing, but on the other hand capsules and oil of the same efficiency can be had just as easily in much less time, with a little more heat.

Lecithin is much more effective than Bioperine which is why it's used to exponentially increase chemical absorptive effectiveness without increasing dosage, in pharmaceuticals, for everything from vit. C to prescription pain meds.

Your decarbing methods could be vaping off some of the more fragile, earliest (often considered to be the 'best' and most potent) cannabinoids to be released, some of which begin to become gaseous at temperatures as low as 220 - 230 f, along with your terpenes which also have medicinal value and enhance both the intensity and perception of cannabinoids.

If you've decarbed properly, without vaping away any of your potency, and if you've carefully, gently heat processed your oil for enough time, 9 out of 10 people who sample your capsules should feel almost overwhelmed at doses above 0.20g. If it's full melt or a concentrate or extract you should be using even less.

Most patients only require a .10 g - .15 g cap, I've often had to make .06g doses for those that don't want to 'enjoy' the buzz quite so much, particularly with good hash. The onset can be very intense, especially depending on what and when the patient has eaten. The reason, or reasons that I and a few other patients take increased quantities and doses, are digestive, and absorptive difficulties, scar tissues, certain over or under-active enzymes inhibiting uptake.

But nine times out of ten, you or any patient or recreational user shouldn't need to consume more than .2g of properly processed hash, to send you essentially flying-high. You can easily fit up to .35g (and then some) in a cap, and that's usually enough when lecithin is used, to help patients who have a hard time with edibles in general.

But long story short (and the serious part)...

If you have to take a dose higher than that, or one much greater than the amount you'd smoke in a session (or in other words, if edibles are less efficient/cost-effective than smoking), then you either have a few things to tweak out in your processing methods, or if you haven't already, you should see your doctor and have yourself referred to a GI(gastrointestinal/Gastroenterology) right away, just to be sure you don't have some undiagnosed issue, that could potentially relieve many lesser and major issues you potentially may not even realize you have.

Once you feel you've done everything you can do to perfect your methods, and get your edibles down to a decent dose, if your family or friends need much less than you to achieve the same effect, then out of concern (from personal experience, wishing I hadn't waited so long myself), I urge you to consider seeing a doctor as soon as possible. It could be nothing, a minor annoyance, or it could be something life-changing.

Dosing is very different for everyone; it depends on not only your digestion which can vary greatly, but also on what you can comfortably consume when vaping or smoking. If you're a very long-term and heavy smoker with a higher than average tolerance, you shouldn't expect effects that much much more intense than you already achieve when smoking or vaping. A heavy smoker can consume canna almost without consequence, while only achieving a withstand-able, but still much stronger than average buzz, but on the other end of the spectrum dosing is incredibly different, for someone who only smokes a few times a week for instance. A heavy smoker can keep his wits about him if he eats much more than he'd smoke in a day. But a weekend smoker, probably shouldn't eat very much more than half a session worth. It's speed of the onset, and the initial intensity that usually does-in most weekend smokers, particularly when lecithin is used and the speed of onset is increased.
    Hopefully, with enough tweaking, you should be able to apply the above with the tools you have, to create a reasonably effective outcome. Good luck! :)

5. #265 meduser180056, May 31, 2011
    Thx for the detailed response that helped alot.

I'll just skip the ultrasonic method then doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. Definetly a neat concept though like you said.

I've been using your decarb method in my last batches so I'lll stick with that. I am still using a shot glass though that I seal up with a turkey bag then I put it on the baking sheet. So no ceramic dish and no foil hope that's ok... Set oven to 210f...

I will make sure to keep doing 80 minutes worth of gentle heat processing with lecithin to infuse the mct oil thoroughly, but honestly when using BHO it seems to dissolve within 5 minutes. I've also been doing the 8 hour freeze part.

I am using first run BHO when I make these pills so definetly not lacking in the potency department. Sometimes I use reclaim though which is oil that has already been vaporised.

9 out of 10 people get wrecked by my pills for sure to the point where I can't find anymore guinea pigs to sample my stuff.

I hope I don't have anything wrong with me. I honestly eat about 1 gram worth on average to get a good effect and have eaten as much as 3 grams of BHO in one gulp!

I think your part about how dosing is different for everyone is the thing for me. I do have a high tolerance. I don't smoke buds just vaporize oils and full melt hash. I vape about 1-2 grams a day of concentrates and have done this for many years. I get good effects of course, but I'm never actually overwhelmed or anything and always functional[i love vaping oil and going surfing for instance haha]. I think I've always expected something different with edibles, but apparently it's not gonna happen. O well...

Maybe I should go c a doctor about this I do have a pretty messed up appetite and am fairly low weight have trouble keeping weight on.

If you ever need someone to try out your delicious dishes I'll gladly volunteer. I'll give you some BHO and you can go to town. Lemme know if your ever in my area.

6. They all look soo damn tasty.. ..

7. For you chicken herb biscuit recipe :

If you could just explain to me about what you mean in Infusing the lard with cannibus ... Did you want me to use the same technique as ppl do with cannibutter Or just mash it in the lard?

8. Yes, I believe he means to prepare as canni-oil or canni-butter.

9. Hey Meduser,
    Did you ever think of taking a T-break? It just sounds like your tolerance is high and smoking more will only ever keep it high. Try a t-break or switching strains or growing/making your own concentrates.

10. Recipes look great. Thanks for posting. I have a capsule related question for BadKat or anyone else: why not just pack loose hash or finely ground herb into the capsules? Does preparing it in oil or butter actually increase potency or absorption? Thanks!

11. No problem :)

(Part of the below is an excerpt from a recent PM, covering the same topic)

The reason you wouldn't just pack loose hash or herb into a capsule, is because grinding up herb, and tossing it into a recipe (or worse, a capsule), is not how you make an edible. It's close to the 'worst-case-scenario' edibles, such as firecrackers, made by folks who for whatever reason have little to no access to a kitchen or the supplies required to make a proper edible, but even those have a higher oil content, and require a longer cooking time.

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to digest, break down and absorb, under normal circumstances. This is why we unfortunately have so many failed edible stories. It's not as simple as just tossing ground material into a recipe, the little amount that is made available to your system in that way, requires a huge dose, when compared to a properly made oil.

You need to first activate, then more importantly, spend the necessary time breaking down the glandular material in a pure oil source, ideally an oil source such as coconut oil, olive oil, or grapeseed oil should be used for best results, then 'ghee' or clarified butter, and finally, standard kitchen butter.

Decarbxylation 'activates' your cannabinoids. Decarboxylation removes the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, converting cannabinoids from their inactive acids, to their more potent (and active) delta forms. This would normally occur when you apply heat to either smoke, or vape your canna, activating then breaking it down to be absorbed, via inhalation.
    You then need to process the decarbed glandular material further in order for the cannabinoids to become bioavailable, by breaking it down in a pure oil source over the course of several hours, so your body can have the opportunity to absorb it, before it's 'too late' in your system to do so.

The time you spend processing, is time your body simply does not have to break down and absorb such resistant material; in other words, you want it to enter your system in an already bioavailable form.

This makes the difference between a patient enduring a 2 - 3 hour onset, and only a mild buzz from over an entire gram of material (for 'quickie butters' and toss-in raw edibles), to a fast 20 - 25 minute, often intensely cerebral onset, and long-lasting medicinal and almost narcotic sensations, from as little as 0.25g or less material depending on your tolerance and digestion.

Hope this helps :)

12. #272 meduser180056, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    im gonna give up for awhile i think. the t break is a good idea something i do occasionally but i never really go
    over 1-2 grams a day vaping concentrates usually only bout a gram a day. ive been on that dose for years wo needin more basically my tolerance levels out around there. its edibles i have a problem with.
    ive made a bunch of batches its just not really doing it for me. i know they are potent too cuz ive tested em on other people. ive been eating about a gram on average up to 2.5 grams at a time. somethings wrong w me it sucks :(

13. #273 Pufferz, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    If your using ABV can you simply toss it into oil and do cold extraction since it's already decarbed? Or would this not be very effective/efficient?

14. If it's already been well vaped, it should be decarbed. :) You can proceed directly to the oil/breakdown using either heat or heatless (longer) methods.

15. #275 Pufferz, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    How long should a cold extraction take if it's decarbed a day? A week?

16. Doctor seems to think I have a digestion problem. I got referred to a GI doctor. I've always had trouble keeping/gaining weight, but I've really started losing weight past 6 months. I didn't realize but I'm down to 128lbs. I'm a 5'9" male so doc thinks somethings up. I used to weigh more like 145-150.

17. this is so inspiring! :D
    thank you!

18. This thread is filled with win

19. -Peanut Butter Canna S'mores-

Thought I'd share a summertime treat... we've been starting early this year :)

[​IMG]

Made using a fire-toasted marshmallow, home-made chocolate caramel 'Hashy Bars', and 'Peanut Butter Canna Cookies':

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For fun ( :) ) :

Still shots, taken from the toasting, and building of the Canna S'more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the finished S'mores, a strong 1.5 x dose, each.

[​IMG]

And that's, that :) Enjoy the rest of your pre-summer fun, guys! [​IMG]

20. Hey all,

Loving this thread. I have a question for our famous GC chef; I actually posted this under WildWill's tincture thread, but I think it's slowly dying :( so I'll ask it again here. My friend has easy access to a lot of trimmings, etc. as a grower, so he usually gives it to me to play around with. I've been getting into making tinctures to put into foods, candies, etc. but I can't seem to get my edibles to be potent enough.

Here is how I make my tinctures, based on accumulated knowledge from a variety of forums:

I decarb'ed my trimmings in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes at 200F. Then made an alcohol tincture by mixing the toasted herbs with alcohol and reducing the weight of the alcohol by 1/2 over a water bath at 165F. After reduction, I then added the reduced weight in glycerin and am now in the process of evaporating off the alcohol a second time.

My question: Is it normal that my tincture is a much darker greenish brown color after having added glycerin? My alcohol-only tincture was kind of a milky light green, even after the first evaporation, but once I added the glycerin the color got very dark (please note that the temperature I'm evaporating at is still 165F, well below the boiling/denaturizing point of glycerin).

Also, what are these random chunks of green floating in my alcohol/glycerin mixture? I know they can't be resins because the trim was very fine and it also doesn't seem to be settling at the bottom/is not light-colored. They kind of resemble the protein skin that forms on the top of a glass of milk if you heat it. Is this the same kind of protein-evaporation skin that I'm seeing in a tincture? I'm going to assume the particles in my tincture are chlorophyll--can any scientific-minded people confirm?

I'm worried that evaporating the alcohol too much would lead to too much leftover water content in my tincture, which in this case would make a solution of water in glycerin. To what extent would this affect the potency of my bastardized tincture? :confused:

Ideally, I would like to be able to use tinctures in small candies and chocolates so that it's easier to measure the dosage, as opposed to changing my recipes each time in relation to butter, coconut oil, etc.

Please help a fellow mad scientist in the kitchen..!