Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Damn Miss Kitty! You making us chow hounds out here wanting to chow down! WoW that's something. Have I said it before that what you are presenting is fusion food ART! If so, it begs repeating!

You are a maestro! Hat tip!

2. #182 TheOracle, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

Nice job, great thread. If I may suggest so myself, try decarbing for longer periods at safe temperatures - it works.

3. #183 BadKittySmiles, Mar 29, 2011
    It's really not necessary, in fact, food dehydrators do the job much more safely in about the same amount of time, which I've reiterated several times here. Anything below 210 f is safe for a period of less than 20 - 30 minutes, and it takes several minutes (especially in a ceramic dish) for the material to even reach those temperatures. And when properly contained, even at temperatures just high enough to cause vaporization (not recommended), those vapors will be contained, to settle back within the material.

Decarboxylation is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, essentially, drying out the glandular material. Once your material is smoke-dry, the process is already beginning, and it is possible to complete over longer periods of time in rooms with low humidity. Believe me, it doesn't take long to do once you've added some dry heat to the atmosphere! Once your material begins going more than a little brown, you've gone a little too far ;)

edit - I should add, as I'd mentioned in earlier recipes, that I prefer to stop the decarboxylation process when I feel it is almost just-short of completion, knowing that the process continues, and the conversion is ultimately safely completed in the oil source, much like the old days; we performed the entire conversion as well as the breakdown in oil, at low temperatures, over the course of 24 hours or more. Much like a potato turns into a fry or chip over a brief period of time in very hot oil, at lower temperatures, over a longer period of time, it continues to gently release carbon dioxide and water vapor from your glandular material as it's beginning to break down into a more bioavailable form.

Hope this helps :)

4. #184 TheOracle, Mar 29, 2011
    I disagree. Going brown denotes some of the terpenoids, which give color, evaporating. Not charring or pyrolysis. Why do you think anything above 210 is unsafe? Scientific studies and patents whose purpose was to find the proper time and temperature, would disagree, too.

Also, food dehydrators don't decarboxylate completely. The decarboxylation process is a turnover process that ensures theres always some carboxyl cannabinoids ready to decarboxylate, because over long periods of time degradation OF already-decarboxylated cannabinoids would occur. The carboxyl cannabinoids left would decarboxylate and fill the shoes, so to speak, of the degraded cannabinoids. Gentle heating in a food dehydrator isn't sufficient to convert a majority of cannabinoids from carboxyl to active. Drying out the water content and removing the carboxyl group aren't exactly the same thing.

Why, then, are there patents showing the best way to decarboxylate? Why, then, has boiling cannabis in water bags (reaching 100C, obviously) been a method used to convert the cannabinoids for tens of years? Also, why does completely dried out cannabis still have a carboxyl cannabinoid presence? Simple, because the turnover of carboxyl to active cannabinoids under regular temperatures is a slow process that extends the shelflife of the plant, but drying it out in a food dehydrator won't turn all the cannabinoids into active ones. Some of them, yeah, but not all, and probably not even most.

EDIT: I'm sure some decarboxylation occurs during the fry, but not much. I draw from my own experience, eating un-decarbed edibles and decarbed edibles, and comparing them.

5. Well, you and Ed have some conflicting opinions, just like you and I ;) Personally, I tend to agree with Ed, myself... a few decades of world-wide experience pitching in at labs from the Netherlands to Australia, definitely helped me form my 'opinions'. ;)

" Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200? C (355-392? F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106? C (220? F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor.You will be extracting the THC using low heat in the commercially made Coldfinger Extractor. (They have a very interesting online catalog at www.edenlabs.org). The THC will not reach a temperature in which decarboxylation takes place. However, if you plan to vaporize or smoke the extract decarboxylation will take place as the oil is used.

However, it is easy to make sure all the THC is decarboxylated and is at full strength before it is extracted. Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106? C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases.
    Cannabis can also be placed in a food dehydrator to remove the carboxyl group. Although the heat in the food dehydrator doesn't rise to 106? C, the temperature is warm enough to promote drying and the release of the water and CO2. When the marijuana is crispy and brittle you can be assured that the carboxyl group has been removed from the cannabinoids and they are ready for extraction or removal from the plant material. "

Decarboxylation | Cannabis Culture Magazine Ask Ed Rosenthol

So yes, you absolutely can use a food dehydrator, because the science behind decarboxylation, is simply put, 'drying out' a material. You can use the dehydrator, just as you can over a longer period, use a room with very low humidity, or even desiccant sachets contained in a small wooden box.

So which is it that you prefer, exactly, since you haven't bothered to mention your ideal method? Longer periods of time at a lower temperatures, which you -just- now said would degrade already converted cannabinoids, or a breifer warmer period of time, which you apparently disagreed with in the first place :)

6. #186 TheOracle, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
    I've read that article - it shows no sources or proof.

I still don't believe that you can reach the same degree of decarboxylation with normal atmospheric temperature that you can with low heating. I think you might've misread my post, or I miswrote.

My technique is derived from a patent, you can click on my sig. I use 2 hours at 220F. No cannabinoids are evaporating, while they're all converting to actives. You'll probably never see a plant material that's been left long enough in room temperature to facilitate ALL possible decarboxylation to occur. Even when completely dried out, there will be inactive, carboxyl cannabinoids left. While there are safe temperatures you can use, for periods of time, that will achieve close to this (within 5%). That's my point.

I don't disagree with a short time period, high temperature decarb. In fact, the patent says that at 30 Minutes, at 120C is a useable decarboxylation method. However, it's less efficient than, say, 2 hours at 105C.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7344736.html

7. You do realize, that if conversion -didn't- occur during the 'fry' which (for anyone reading this) you should NEVER BE DOING TO YOUR CANNABIS... the frying, I mean. It's a big no-no. But if it didn't occur, then for all the years before, when we didn't perform the quick pre-decarb, we wouldn't have been capable of achieving an edible high, period.. you do realize that, don't you? How do you think we did it back in the 70's? In a pure oil source, over a longer period of time. Heating in an oil source, regardless of the material, evaporates the liquid the item once possessed. A drop of water won't stick around, nor will the water in a vegetable or meat.

And if conversion didn't take place in the oil gradually over time, none of the oils made from fresh plant matter, prior to the discovery of a dry decarb, would have had any effect, let alone the devastating effect they do have, when processed properly over the course of 24 hours.

So what you're saying, basically, is that no one got very high from edibles, prior to the 90's and the prevalence of the dry-decarb.

You have some reading to do! :)

8. #188 TheOracle, Mar 30, 2011

That's not true at all. We both know that.

Cooking for 24 hours - which is a long ass time - would probably convert some carboxyl cannabinoids, you're right! But you have to remember that some of the cannabinoids were already decarboxylated before the cooking process! That's why even if you don't decarb, edibles will still effect you, to some degree. Does that mean you've gotten the best your plant matter can offer? Of course not

[​IMG]

9. #189 BadKittySmiles, Mar 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be crass, but you're just digging yourself deeper.

Just earlier, you told me -lower- temps for longer periods of time, but you're using the same and higher temps, for longer periods of time. I decarb at 210 f, as stated in my earlier recipes, and that is very suitable for hash.

You do understand that cannabinoids turn gaseous at 220f, right?

Over two full hours, that absolutely damages cannabinoids, regardless what you say; a dry heat for -that- long, damages your canna.

I've been doing this professionally for the medical community for probably a bit longer than your 'patent' which really proves nothing, as almost anything including un-finished works of mechanical fiction can be patented by request, but if the author would like to improve his methods, and use his material much more wisely and efficiently, I think he'll find much more reliable advice if he reads through this thread :)

Both from what I've read and from what I've seen in labs, you're simply either 'making stuff up', or trying to invent a new way to achieve the same end results, and it's a far cry from the norm.

I've never EVER seen anyone recommend a decarb for TWO HOURS at 220f, that's ludicrous, and you're advising people to degrade their material.

Please, for your own sakes, NO ONE take that advice. It is horrendously, terribly inaccurate.

It is funny, though.... I've always felt that *I* over-do it :p

I guess it could be worse!

10. #190 TheOracle, Mar 30, 2011
    two hours at 220F does absolutely no damage to cannabinoids, since they don't vaporize at that temperature. People who try the two hour method will see the results. Try it with as little as .25g.

11. Good luck to you with your 'new' methods, to each their own :)

But a patent is not proof something works, it's a 'claim'.... and you can patent something as simple as a creative way to fold a piece of paper.

12. What you folks are discussing is above my pay grade so perhaps my comment adds nothing to the grander spirit of the topic, but I must say it is a very thought provoking and fascinating area of the science of cannabis versus that of just cultivating it and otherwise worshiping it. Brilliant! :)

13. #193 zyxwv88, Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I totally agree on the patent thing. It was kind of lame to even bring up. You did know that there are patents for goggles to protect chickens eyes from dust, didn't you? Does that mean that just because there is a patent for it that it's the best idea in the world? Yeah, it's pretty laughable.

As for the temperatures, am I mistaken, or are we mixing up our temps of C vs F? The Merck Index lists the boiling point of delta 1 Tetrahydrocannabinol as 200 C (392 F) and of course it is only one of many cannaboids. Kitty, I recall you telling people that they could bake things at temps higher than 350F because the temps inside the food wouldn't get that high (400 or 425 or so was the cooking temp you addressed. That blasted english system screwing everyone up again. ;)

I did enjoy the info on frying with oil. That does make a lot of sense, and I was wondering how you were getting away with it and not losing cannaboids. I didn't think of the effect of the water in the meat and plants.

14. #194 BadKittySmiles, Mar 30, 2011
    Exactly, thank you for taking the time to read and reply, zyxwv88 :) And if we were to process our canna THAT heavily while dry, and then again in our oil, before even applying it to a hot or baked food source, you could guarantee the damage and loss would ultimately be even greater. It's a fragile end product as it is, and the best course to completion is gentle, and gradual.

If it were really that easy, blasting heating upon heating, we wouldn't have so many unfortunate edible-failure threads, and so many various recipes and variations on making canna butter and canna oil, we even still have some folks of both younger and older generations, who feel directly adding minced raw herb to a recipe, has the same effect as an oil, and it is probably because they either under or over processed their material at one stage or another during an attempt at making oil.

While they are still relatively if not entirely safe, I do mentally rate breads as a 'riskier' edible to bake, on the scale of cold to hot edibles, what with the higher temps and the more-dry consistency of the end product.

I suggested 45 minutes, and to remove if finished or allow a maximum of another ten, but that size loaf in the same recipe made without canna, actually calls for an hour and ten minutes. I'd suggest, for any hearty bread recipe, to stop 10+ minutes short of the normal baking time.
    But even so, when you stick a meat or candy thermometer inside a just-finished loaf of bread, and especially if you were sure it was slightly under-cooked and moist inside as we discussed, the temperature within the bread rarely reads above 200f - 220f depending on the amount of water that has evaporated. Similar to how you should cook a chicken, to an internal temperature of 160 - 165 f before it's safe to consume. Chicken is of course heavier and denser than bread, so it is of course not going to have the same heat-to-time ratio as a loaf of bread would to reach certain internal temps, with the bread getting warmer somewhat faster, but it's based on the same principal, that both gradually increase in temperature internally over varying periods of time.
    And when contained inside a doughy bread, with a crusty exterior, as well as your oil source, even when higher than acceptable temperatures are inadvertently reached, any possible vapor that is produced is, for some part, depending on the severity, still contained within the edible until excessive amounts of time are applied.

Oils each have different individual smoking points (edited: the 'smoking' point is different from the 'boiling' point), and if those points are surpassed, the oil itself can create a vapor 'vehicle', capable of carrying away cannabinoids that would otherwise not vaporize at such low temperatures. Even prior to the smoking point, oils can release an almost equally harmful (if inhaled or ingested) vapor. Different oils have the capacity to either retard, or enhance the potential for low-temp inadvertent vaporization. Butter, depending presumably on whether it is clarified or not smokes at 250 f - 300 f, and coconut oil whether it is virgin, or refined, can be 350 f - 450 f, and so on, and so on.

In any case that was probably much more than you wanted to read and more than you asked for, sorry about that! Thanks again for your input zyxwv88, I'm always happy to see you in here :)

15. Well, I'm always in here, mostly just drooling and picking out which recipes I'm going to try first when I get my first crop in (I'm almost halfway through flower). :D I'm just hoping that I'm not as resistant as I fear I might be. Edibles would be my favorite way to get high, especially since I HATE smoking and severely dislike vaping, but most of my past experiences have been failures, in most cases by either not decarboxylating or by destroying the THC.

Anyways, I'm just soaking up all the info so I'm ready to do some top notch cooking here when I can. :) Plus I'm the type that just loves to learn. Give me another year and I'll be competing with you for best recipes. I have some doozies already in the works. ;)

16. Take a long weekend, find a bag, and get started on a few recipes! By the end of the weekend you should already be most if not all way there, I've done about twenty years worth of traveling and leg-work for you folks here in this thread, and it's really not hard at all once you get the basics sorted out :) Plus, you guys get the benefit of avoiding the great risk (and I admit, adventure!) that I went through getting where I am today :p

17. Thank you so much BadKitty for sharing your extensive canna/culinary knowledge with us blades here at GC. I appreciate it, and I see I'm not the only one who does.

Quick question, grabbed some lecithin from the local Aid and didn't realize I got liquid gel caps until I got home. Have you ever used liquid lecithin? Would you think the 3/4 tsp lecithin to Tbsp of oil still applies?

Thanks in advanced and I cant wait to see the L-Arginine recipe
    :wave:

18. I prefer the powdered lecithin because it has little to no excess water-oil weight, making it somewhat more concentrated. If liquid lecithin is all you can find, it will definitely help to nearly the same degree, it works just as well except in terms of dilution :) Liquid lecithin's additional liquid weight is not actually compromised of much water at all, but instead it has a higher retained fat content. You'll just want to keep in mind, the total amount of oil you want as a result, and add about 50% more liquid lecithin than you would powdered knowing that it's going to contribute to your total end volume. If you're making capsules or candy, I highly recommend returning the liquid and buying the solid/powdered lecithin, to use with your solid-at-room-temp oil. For baked goods, like cakes and cookies, liquid lecithin is suitable.

So you could pierce the caps and empty them individually as you plan on using them, but as far as price/efficiency goes, you may want to return those gel caps anyhow. I'm sure you could find a better deal on a larger quantity of the powder, or even more liquid, minus the caps.

-----

Here's what kept me up, all last night.. I've been whipping up a nice small batch of -Strawberry Hash Wine-, some extra strength -Space Cakes-, and for April Fools day (not that it's inappropriate any other day of the year ;) ) some great 'Wax' Hash Candy.. looks basically just like some good wax hash, but it's actually an edible, oil-based 'hard' hash, sugar-candy. Very, very potent...

I decided to make wax candy while I was digging through the freezer for single-run herb balls, from at least 4 previous batches (balls of oily plant matter I sometimes save when I know that I've only partially strained out their goodness). Usually when I'm at home, I don't bother spending too much time squeezing out the excess and I'll just toss them, but they're so easy to re-use when you're strapped for time; it's already decarbed, and the glandular material for the most part is entirely broken, and just waiting to be thinned in more oil and flushed out.

At home, I'll take a min. of 4 previous-batches worth, and use their remains to make a single potent batch of oil, for use in conjunction with a superior hash based oil. Anyway, while digging for those to use as a base oil for the space cakes, I found some old Dr Atomic Blueberry X NL full melt, I was cooking for a group (not something I do often at home) and we smoked about a gram, when I decided to use the rest for half the candy. The other half was made using POG #8 hash. They were both flavored to either compliment or enhance the natural flavors of the hash itself, blackberry and blueberry flavorings were added to the BB x NL, and a musky Pina Colada was added to the batch made with some skunky funky POG # 8.
    An insight into my personal/professional life, I usually operate from a larger kitchen than the one I use for my tutorials here, and I invite patients on a referral-only basis to come learn basic edible production for personal medicinal use. I've done this on a few continents now from North America to Australia, on and off over the years, whenever I can afford to do so. As much fun as a large well-stocked facility can be, I've always truly enjoyed the hands-on approach of cooking in a small kitchen without special or automated equipment. Zipping back up now, one corner of the mouth to the other I mean.. loose lips sink ships and all that :) But what I've tried to do in this thread is replicate the process we perform on a much larger scale on a daily basis, but instead within the confines of a standard home kitchen. Unless otherwise mentioned, everything I use for cooking by the way has been run through a 100 micron screen. Whatever the screen catches makes a good little gift for friends in need, whatever falls through is either processed as-is, or screened and divided further.

And on to the photos.. I know that's what you come here for, my tales of canna-whimsy aren't quite enough to do the trick on their own :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. How soon are you going to post the breathe sprays?

20. The edit feature has already closed me out of the earlier post, and where Will already has a good glycerin tincture recipe posted (and the sprays are just flavored hash tinctures), I've been dragging my heals on working up the Tinc'treats tutorial, in favor of other recipes. :) I'll share it soon though, I promise. Especially in the next few weeks, I'm going to begin having a little more time on my hands.

I figured since I shared this in another thread, I'll bring the 'teaser' in here as well :)

- Space Cake Bites with Chocolate Mango Frosting -

Made these a few weeks back, I was saving this recipe and tutorial for 4/20.... they have real mango frosting, and have also been flavored with a lemongrass hash extract. Lemongrass has higher concentrations of myrcene, the terpene responsible for the added effect when eating a mango prior to, or during a session.

I'm the sort of person who dislikes those chocolate oranges, but these taste AMAZING. They're hard to stop eating. It's easy to over-consume your meds in an edible that goes down this well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]