Badass Hero Of The Week: Les Stroud

Discussion in 'General' started by Heinous Anus, Jun 3, 2007.

1. I think I made one of these threads honoring Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs" about a year ago when I was living in the desert.

Now, its time for round two.

Les Stroud. This man is amazing. He survives on little more than a multi-tool, some cashews, and an empty pack. He's put in the most dangerous of situations. Only to beat the odds and come out a live.

Now, this man is no wimp. He does double of what it takes to survive. Since, he films himself. He has to haul 200 lbs of camera equipment, set it all up, and then film himself walking through, each, individual scene. May not sound like a lot to us. But, if you're to battle the Alaskan wilderness with little more than a few bites of peanuts in your belly. This is an amazing feat.

This man knows all that it takes to survive. If I was ever ship-wrecked, survived a plane crash on a desert island, I want this man with me. (Other than a Keg of Guiness and some Wings.) He'd be able to build me a 4-star hotel out of coconuts and palms.

Personally, I love survival. In the rawest form. I love reading about it, and studying it. I don't have to endure it, but I want to put myself out on the limb like he does. He's another hero of mine.

So, I salute you, Les Stroud. May your adventures always be filled with glory and happiness. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. And a canadian! ;)

[​IMG]

3. Primitive skills is a term used by naturists and "back-to-the-landers" that refers to prehistoric handicrafts and pre-industrial technology. Primitive skills are those skills that relate to living off the land, often using handcrafted tools made from naturally gathered materials. Examples of primitive skills include: gathering and foraging native plants and animals for food, skinning and preparing game, basketry and pot making, constructing shelters, fire making, and useful plant identification.

Interest in primitive skills has coincided with a resurgence in interest in natural and self-sufficient living techniques. In North America primitive skills enthusiasts often emulate Native-American traditional crafts. In Europe primitive skills enthusiasts often practice traditional Bronze and Iron Age art forms.

4. Canadians are tough mother fuckers. Living up near the arctic circle and yet, still thriving. Man...balls of steel my friends.

You guys take your cold and eat it for breakfast, along with the first born of your enemies. If you guys were ever to invade the US. God help us all. :p

5. Damn right, it'll be Vimy Ridge times 100,000,000,000

6. This looks EXACTLY. No i mean EXACTLY like my friends dad. Its really crazy actually, but yea that guy is a badass hero.

7. Yeah it sucks we don't get all of Ray Mears' shows over here in the USA. My parents live in England so whenever I visit them I get to sit back and watch this guy. He's so badass at bushcraft and is a very intelligent well-spoken man, plus you can really tell this guy's got a lot of respect and a real strong connection with the earth. I really like when he visits isolated tribes and shares some of his bushcraft knowledge with them and they share some of their's, even though they can't speak the same spoken language they can speak the language of bushcrtaft. So if any of you guys in england haven't been watching this guy get on it!

8. Sounds like an awesome show, I'll have to give that a watch!

9. yep, i love watching survivorman.

it appears you did make a badass hero of the week thread before, but its of the same guy heinous. shows up in the similar threads below.

10. I think the "Badass Hero of the Week" should have been every single man that participated in the Invasion of Normandy, 63 years ago this Wednesday.

But I'm just getting sentimental..

11. yea, les stroud is one tough mofo.

There is one thing I bet he wishes he could bring with him though- some nice pot. Hell maybe he does, if he is filming the show who would know???

Are there going to me any new episodes?

I know Man vs Wild is starting June 15th with new episodes....

Les and Bear should have a competition. Dropped off in a location and they have to find there way back to civilization. Whoever makes it back first wins. Or have them dropped off at different times and then see who makes it out with the better time.

12. Man vs. Wild is great, as is Survivorman. They do some crazy shit on those shows, some of it is so gross (i.e. drinking elephant poop juice :eek:)

13. Ha! Damn my stoner memory. Sorry for the repost.

Knox, I saw that episode of Man vs. Wild just yesterday. Where he squeezes out the water from fresh elephant dung. Man, that takes some balls to do.

Ray Mears did have a show on a couple of years ago. I remember watching that when I was like 14 or so.

Survival kicks ass.

14. hell yeah man
    people think our military sucks, but it's because our millitary is designed to protect our country, not go to war.
    but if there was, you better believe we can do some damage

15. Sucks. I can't find Survivorman on any Youtube vids.

16. haha, good to hear i'm not the only die hard survivorman fan. when i saw his name show up i was shocked. yeah a friend of mine knows him eh? feel free to call bullshit, but my friends mom and les' wife are good friends. i really wanna meet him one of these days. anyone see the "off the grid" special ?

17. I wanted to watch the one where he survived in a house that was hit after Hurricane Katrina, but, never saw it.

Is that the off-the-grid special one? I just ordered his complete season one dvd set. :)

18. nah his off the grid is about him and his family moving into northern ontario, and trying to convert an ex-outdoor grow op property into a home that is electrically self sufficiant. not a bad show, but it wasnt like survivorman at all.

19. looking at all the facts of the invasion, ive decided i probably would have panicked and gotten shot right off the bat.

20. I just watched 3 hours of his show this morning before work. All repeats, still good though. :)