Bad soil

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Filthydubstep, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ok so I planted my crop in scotts potting soil..Apparently this perticular bag is not for pot use..plants about a month and a half old.I bought some fox far ocean and inwas wondering if anyone has any advice as to the safest way to replant or any knowledge of a good video. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Vegging, flowering or auto? What size containers are they in? How long have they been in said containers? How big are the plants? What makes you think that the first soil is unacceptable?

3. Well I just noticed lastnight the bag said not for potting and it's all clumpy and has a diesel smell to it.. I hAve 2 mowys and 2 sour diesels all about a foot tall and sill vegging they all showing signs of nuts defficencys and the ph is 8.2 and ima guess at 8 in pots

4. If their roots have already spread throughout the soil, there's no good way to completely get rid of it, I'm sorry to say. Root pruning can be used to get rid of about half of the old soil. The remaining root ball would just get moved into the better soil. The only way to safely get rid of all of it would be to clone the plants and grow the clones in better soil.

To root prune, you remove each root ball from its pot, preferably when on the dry side. Slice off about the bottom third of the roots with a sharp knife, preferably straight-edged. Make four cuts down the sides of the root ball to create a cuboid. Wet the remaining root ball and transplant into moist soil. Fill a container with soil until setting the pruned root ball on top causes the base of the plant to be about level with the the top of the container. Fill in around the sides & pat down snugly. Keep the root ball from drying out completely until the roots begin growing out into the fresh soil.

5. Go buy a brown bag of soil from home depot. Mix it with ocean forest and pearlite and some humus. Go easy on the ocean forest as its hot from fertilizers in it. you'll probably get fungus gnats frm the brown bag from home depot but it'll pass.

6. Ok so update: I did the transplant mixed with some organic mg bin bout 3 1/2 hours since... They look great as of now no droopage or Limpness anywhere but I'm scared that could change.

7. Put fear behind you, it will only get in the way.

8. Well said, my girls made it through and doing better than ever.. My one sour wasn't getting any nutes but now she's growing rapidly and returning to lush beautiful green thanks for all the advice I'll be adding some pics soon as I can figure out how to from my phone

9. #9 Filthydubstep, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    [​IMG]