Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Sorry if not posted in the right place but here we go.

I was gifted a bag of dehydrated chicken manure pellets by my father in law just to find its non food grade.. can this be made usefull by composting or any options beside the trash for this stuff? Thx in advance

P.s. i dont have a lawn apartment dweller

• Funny Funny x 1

2. Never even heard of "non-food grade" chicken manure...

Some decent pic's of the packaging, front and back?

3. Having an issue with uploading pics
    Het some up as soon as i can

4. #1884 Powder Toast, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Resized_20171003_164342.jpg

Only markings on the bag

5. Well chicken manure is chicken manure. The disclaimer at the top of the bag is most likely due to the fact that they don't raise their chickens by NOP standards. Use of such depends on what level of "organic Nazism" that you personally prescribe to...

I'd contact that e-mail address at the bottom of the bag to get a better idea as to the content of the heavy metals that it contains. If they're not off the charts, I'd use that product in my "organic" cannabis soil. But that's just me...

FYI, if you use the "reply" function when conversing with others, you'll get quicker responses. Not all of us do the notification thing when posting in various threads. It's difficult remembering them all...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yea I was kinda wondering if it was composted due to the smell is strong dry.
    I also read something about it was composted because "all dehydrated chicken manure was composted"
    Im just thinking its definately not and earthy smell is more like piss and vinegar perhaps not composted I dont know.

I will e mail dude to see what's up.
    Thanks again with your responce
    Your advise is helping me along

7. Would definitely compost that before using for a potted container mix. Make sure to utilize a high carbon source along with it. It's not suitable for topdressing...

That chx manure is still really "green".

8. I ran it in my bokashi, was now on the fence as to puting into some soil to finish

I did email the contact person as to get the info on this product. Ill post the results so you can see what in that stuff.
    Im quite courious myself.

9. I hit my goal of making 64 cu ft of shredded leaves plus chick manure. This leaf mold mix will be for worm bedding primarily. This should keep me set up with worm bedding for years unless it gets used to build new beds. I am very happy I accomplished this.
    I still have some alfalfa left over, I may need to get more leaves and start yet another compost pile. I'm just about out of time before the snow flies, so we will see what happens.

os

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I tried spent brewery grains once. I attracted every slug for miles. They did break down wonderfully though. I would do it again if I could make it slug proof or inside.
    good score
    os

• Like Like x 2
  11. How to efficiently turn your leaf pile

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  12. You should see the piles I made yesterday....made 4 piles 4 foot tall and 5 foot wide. Here's one. I let them compost over winter and load them in mid spring into 300g smartpots. I end up with unlimited free composting worms. Sorry earthworm jim i live near the blue ridge. Most of the predatory bugs live in my yard. Found an assassin bug yesterday.

Funny thing is I barely add kitchen scraps. I don't want to throw my C:N ratio off and my grass clippings will provide low doses of nitrogen. I want complete fungal dominance. I have another pile for scraps...well it's a metal trash can with holes drilled in it...

I'm only halfway done cleaning up leaves...
    [​IMG]

I move this to a pile closer to the bin once she gets broken down to what I feel is worm available. Basically when I turn it I'm not seeing much besides Beatles as they are predators. Into the reactors they go. I will probably need to crank up 2 more ore spring for a 1000g.

[​IMG]

I do add the European night crawlers. All you need is the smallest bag he has. Within about 3 months your population will have doubled 5x over. These guys will keep reworking the casting sent down by the red wrigglers.

This is acceptable for most but this is going indoors so we need to make sure it's loaded with worm gut dwelling nematodes, protozoa, and enzymes. You can set pure casting out in a room full of fungus gnats and not one egg will make it to adulthood. Nothing but soil mites, Rove beetles, and worms in these bins.
    [​IMG]

Now I used a method drawn out by Clackamas. I had a pile of well composted material on the ground. It's the lasagna layer method...

From bottom to top,
    • 2 bags blue ridge organics super compost...$20 total
    • Sprinkled layer of 1/2 cup of each of our amendments and a 5g bucket of red lava rock spread somewhat evenly (this is cold composting...need aeration)
    • 10" layer of compost from the bottom of the pile [where the worms be]
    • Aeration and amendment layer
    • 10" layer of compost
    • Repeat the compost aeration layers until there is about a 1/2 of empty space at the top...at this point I like to pour a 45 lb bag of coop poop granulated chicken manure and sprinkle another layer of super compost and top it with 2 cups MBP.
    • water and cover with burlap

If I go without rain for more than 2 weeks I will mist them with the hose. I leave the burlap on as it helps disperse the water. Feed it from here if you'd like to make it dynamic or just make it static and let it chill for about 6 months. It should be almost pure EWC.

Uncle Jim's website has cool methods for seperating worms and material. I like laying mounds on a tarp and slowly working the top away forcing worms to keep moving down until you're left with a pile of worms.

If you live on my side of the pond...land of the orangeface dictator I will hook you up with a sack of worms, castings, and cocoons. Just PM me. All free you just pay shipping. Won't be ready for a couple more months.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Very nice Major. If you really want to kick it into overdrive, run over the leaves with the lawn mower. The little pieces breakdown even faster.
    Here's a tip that I just learned about this fall. Fresh fallen leaves have a near perfect C:N ratio. As time passes the N starts to disappear. When you start working with leaves that have been on the ground for some time, that's the pile to add your grass clipping too.
    Out of all the ways to turn piles, the best is to just turn a whole pile upside down. I use big cages to hold mine. I fork from a full one, to an empty one, top to bottom. This strategy makes the whole turning process a little less overwhelming, and the finished quality is great. (Unless you have a tractor and a loader bucket, then that's the ticket).
    Keep up the good work!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  14. Here are my piles as of now, the little one is horse manure with leaves and straw mixed in, the bigger one is yard waste.
    The small dark pile is what i have left from my compost piles last year, i think its too broken down to be used as worm bedding. I plan on using all of this to feed my worms. Screenshot_2017-12-01-12-30-06.png Screenshot_2017-12-01-12-30-14.png Screenshot_2017-12-01-12-30-22.png Screenshot_2017-12-01-12-30-10.png Screenshot_2017-12-01-12-54-29.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. You have caught the bug my friend. Keeping many different piles is the ticket. I do the same. I hoard greens for example, till I have enough leaves to make a proper pile.
    I wouldn't be afraid to use that really broken down compost in worm bins. Add some of those pumpkins you scored and you will make black gold my friend!
    Nice job!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  16. I love it. That's how I do mine also. They start fresh at the bottom of my hill...straight worm castings already then I move them next to the worm bins then in they go. Great rotation you have @Boggieman

• Like Like x 3
  17. I'm making the best use I can think of for all these excess bamboo canes I cut the year before last and sort of "interlinking" them. I'm filling with larger yard debris, mostly pine. This is out at the edge, just gonna be a long standing cold compost pile. The dimensions 6'×6'×4' high roughly. I'm planning on going up another 2 feet and then capping it off with more canes. 0215181722.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  18. A bale of alfalfa, shredded with the lawn mower might just break down the bigger stuff. It does amazing stuff as soon as it gets wet. Just a thought.
    I like the bin construction using the cane, very cool. I like that kind of rustic useful stuff.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dude - holy heck it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen you here.

Glad to see you crankin on the compost.

Man - a really long time. Hope things are good for you.

J

• Like Like x 3