Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Lol it's not stinky and if so you are doing it wrong. Lol even then it's not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]
    But what about the Rats

• Like Like x 1
  3. Other thing I noticed is that when I used crustacean meal as a lime it was horrible and when I use calcium carbonate ag lime it's ok but using OSF seems to work best. It seems to be after 6-8 weeks after transplant. This happened at three weeks into flower and they've been in it two months so it just keeps happening in a cycle.

Magnesium leaves, yellowing and necrosis so I TP. Plants freak a little then adjust but then 6-8 weeks later I have weird leaves again so I TP and it gets better, etc.

4. Yeah. It's a toughie. No one has even replied to my reammend question in the no till thread. I'm gonna keep that wheel squeaking tho. Only halfway through flower.

5. I dug up a couple of pdf's I've had squirreled away for a while that have the analyses of selected soil amendments. They're a few years old, but the take away is that there is a significant difference from one product to another and it's easy to see how a consumer can end up with problems.

I was particularly interested since you said you were going to use Baby Bu's, which isn't listed, however Bu's Blend is.

Analyses of Selected Soil Amendments.

This one has the analysis of just about every organic meal we use in organic gardening as well as many, many others:

Ingredient Analysis Table 2014

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. @Chunk I have been begging places here to carry the potting soil but finally found one store that carries the compost. I think I figured out the recipe go Baby Bu's but I don't want to spend the money to mix it up and be wrong. The only bagged mix that isn't $40 a cubic foot and not FF is Vermifire locally. It uses coir and peat, then fir bark, cinder ash and some other stuff like blood meal, bone meal and was under $20. $20 a run per plant is more expensive but I buy compost currently which is what makes it more expensive to mix my soil so it would cost me $5-8 more per plant but no mixing large soil and if it does work, I will have plants that grow really well. I don't think I can grow more than 10. That's an increased cost of $50-80 every round. Kinda at the point of just doing it. I lost half the round of plants I started after my last good grow ended. Then the next round was better but not perfect. This round didn't start well in the fresh soil but after they adjusted to the old soil they grew great but now look lime yellow and the leaves are damaged. So maybe an extra $5 per plant would be worth it. I just don't want to be one of those people who uses bagged mix.

7. Oh I meant I'm gonna drive an hour to buy Baby Bu's because I haven't heard of anyone ever using Vermifire. It's not very impressive and what I have heard is that it burns plants.

I mixed up a large amount of BAS soil and it's been sitting for several weeks now. I am going to set up pots soon and get the worms in there before I plant like I did last time. Then compare. Then hopefully I can get a full harvest and if not then I'll have half.

Thanks for responding and giving me help. :)

8. Sorry, been occupado. Appreciation for the well thought out post. You're always the man... :thumbsup:

A year you say? I've definitely been using my own composts way too early, maybe two months after I thought it "looked good". I haven't been screening either.

I can't for the life of me remember reading this simple fact in all of the info' that I've been privy to (mostly my own PDF files). Doesn't mean it wasn't there. In fact, the very morning prior to your post is the first time I remember reading it, just doing random searches on the subject (only one out of many). And then your post!

Waiting that long makes total sense. Develop more humic acids, and leach undesirable nutrient ions with natural rain...

Fortunately, I have ~ 30 gallons of containerized compost from last year. I'm going to rehydrate, and pile outside. I'll try a new mix with it this winter...

• Like Like x 3
  9. It seems like a long time and maybe I'm overdoing it but I've had 6 month old compost be just not quite long enough - still some bigger pieces of material which were obvious to what it could be.

This is where the multiple heaps come into play, though. Before fall I'm going to get another large heap built. The one that was built last month won't be ready until next summer but that's fine providing I keep the heap rotation going Since it won't be ready by fall it's no big deal to just turn it once a month until then and by the end of November I'll just stop and let it sit all winter. It'll still keep breaking down, even slowly, all winter and then next summer it'll be completely mature & ready for use after screening. I've done plenty of runs directly into the compost - the leaf mold "kind of" works as a replacement for sphagnum peat and just works great. The single only cost at that point would be the one $15.00 bag of alfalfa I mixed in, although I may mix a few basic amendments into it next spring when I screen it; then I'll let it sit for another month or two and then it'll be completely ready for use as a "potting soil". Ideally by June of next year I'll have more than enough fall leaves, horse manure from the winter collected, new comfrey harvested and a third heap will be built and the rotation continues. So the year can be a long time but as long as a few (large) heaps a year are built that "1 year" point is kind of moot once the rotation is well under way.

Back to the manure. I initially thought somebody - whoever, was telling LLB that "no, you shouldn't use manure" and my initial reaction was "I use a lot of manure and my results are excellent". I CAN see fresh manure (any manure) causing issues - for sure. I can also see immature compost causing issues. There's no doubt about that.

I don't know the science behind issues arising from using immature compost but I've seen it myself when I tried using compost a few months after I made a specific thermal heap. Even though the compost had gone through its stages, I had screened it, nothing was really distinguishable any more and it "looked" ready - it just wasn't mature. My leaves were kind of lime (unhealthy) green with darker veins - symptoms similar to over watering or cold medium. By the time the plants finished they had kind of grown out of it but I know the compost was the culprit and I did not get the harvest I should have nor was it the quality I've grown used to. I never ran into the problems with the longer maturing material.

If I remember correctly, Coot had mentioned humic acids stabilizing. I can also see pH fluctuating too much with immature material.

I wonder how long the larger commercial compost manufacturers allow for maturity. I'd almost bet it isn't a full year but I also bet that their gigantic heaps mature ALOT quicker than my relatively much much smaller heaps. It's also a lot easier to be turning those giant compost windrows much more often with the big compost machines they use.

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. Olyfish advertised two years.

Well prepper is waiting for chicken bedding to be poopy enough and Waktoo is also waiting for straw. 120F for several days now. Brodman organics is somewhere preparing so the compost contest is slowly happening.

• Like Like x 4
  11. #1773 waktoo, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    Weird. It's almost as if you read my mind. The topic of how long commercial compost producers actually mature their product was something that I neglected to include in my post last night, and was going to add this morning...

After compost reaches meso' temp's, I can't really see the maturation process going any faster just because of turning. Humification takes TIME.

I was telling Beanie' about how I mixed up a batch of soil using OLY compost and WormPower as my humic component. I let it cycle for several months, and then sent a sample out for testing. It had very high levels of soluble K and Na in it, just like the "immature" compost of my own that I had tested...

Really makes me wonder if commercial operations are actually able to properly mature ALL of their product. It can't be easy keeping up with high demand while maintaining quality control at the same time. I would imagine that at some point, "corners" get cut...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Speaking of the compost contest @missinglighter....

Just about time for a turn and an update! After looking at my thermometer I'm thinking maybe it was busted when I got the 132* reading...o_O I checked a coupe days ago on the pile and it was only about 92*

The pile has definitely shrunk a ton...here it is today...
    image.jpeg
    It was still on the cool side and even cooler than a couple days ago...
    image.jpeg

Figured my recipe wasn't great and I need more grass material. So I got on it, weed eated the field quick and added some new material.
    image.jpeg
    Gave everything a good turn and watering and here's the pile now...
    image.jpeg
    Hoping things heat up, still waiting on that comfrey plant in the background to grow enough to get that in the pile at some point!

:biggrin: I guess every contest has to have a last place....at least I'll place!

#brodmansfirstpile #secondturn

• Like Like x 3
  13. First, this is just my opinion -

Once a compost heap is built I don't like to keep adding materials to it. When you keep adding new materials to an existing heap you're basically starting over every time you add new items. Instead, start collecting materials for a second heap, or a third as the case may be.

Your heap does not need to stay at a high temperature to continue to break down. Yes, it will rise in temperature once constructed with a reasonable C:N ratio but once it starts to cool down a few weeks later let it and just continue to turn it occasionally and be (very) patient. Get another heap going instead.

At least this is how I go about it.

J

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ok, so I've been adding stuff through the summer........ Ugh.... Just read above about that not being good. I'm not planning on using these piles till next year for my raised beds I'm building so maybe there is enough time to break it down still before then. Also, The winters get cold here in the heart of it all and I was wondering if I layered a bunch of straw on top will that keep it from going dormant? Maybe a tarp over the straw also? Is it best to leave snow on top for more insulation or get it off. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. If there's one truth on this planet, it is that you cannot screw up compost lol - so no worries. It will simply take longer but since you're not planning on using until next summer (which is very good) you should be just fine. Just keep turning it here and there and keep it moist - not wet. I honestly don't wet my heaps but the one time when I construct them. They usually hold plenty of moisture providing they're large enough.

My point above being that every time you add new material, that material takes just as long to break down as the rest of the heap did - dig? By simply saving your new material in a separate plié until you've got enough for a second heap allows the first heap to all break down at a consistent rate.

It wouldn't hurt anything to cover the heap with a small tarp over the winter. Compost can leach nutrients. I don't myself but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

I also like screening mine once it's close to being mature so that particle size is consistent. A 3'x3' 2x4 or 2x6 frame with 1/2" hardware cloth stretched and nailed over it works really well for me. A really nice way to go about it is to add some of the soil amendments a month or so before use that you would normally add directly to your soil mix...

J

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Thank you Jerry!

I was actually going to get another truck load of dairy cow manure for the pile...

I still think I'm going to go get it, but definitely going to start another pile with a a better ratio of materials, plus my comfrey should be harvestable in a week or two. (It's been planted in the ground for 5 weeks and :confused_2: I have 1/4 of the growth you did in 11 days...going to top dress them with compost tomorrow and hope for better results)

Thank you again!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm still in, been super busy lately, I haven't even got to open my compost thermometer :( whenever I get some free time I'll start getting my green material

Could I use just leaves for my brown material? I'm thinking about making a separate pile with just leaves for my brown material and kudzu and comfrey for my greens. I just think the leaves would take awhile to break down. I'm sure it would be some fine compost.

18. 1469916753930.jpg

My comfrey is growing super fast! I thought the leaf would have bushed out but it's just stretching, should I bury it up to the leaf or just wait and see what happens?